Lady Gaga

Re: Lady Gaga - ARTPOP (Album, 2013)

But... but... texture! *Rings up Cynthia* "Mama! Mama! I'm doin' texture, Mama!"

I read this to myself in a voice I recognised. Just realise it was Carrie's (Stephen King).

Talking of Carrie, and Cynthia, Burqa's going to be the musical equivalent of the Sex & The City 2 scene, but Gaga's going to dress it up as politics in every single interview.

Pffft! So flippant! You need to check your post-homophobia privilege, heyho!

I, as a man who casually happen to be a homosexual (is it full PC now?), am thoroughly insulted by your reverse over-privilege against the post-homophobia movement.

I, as a man who casually happen to be a homosexual (is it full PC now?), am thoroughly insulted by your reverse over-privilege against the post-homophobia movement.

Well, I'm actually operating with the post-post-homophobia movement. It's all very complicated and serious, but suffice to say, you're being INCREDIBLY OFFENSIVE right now. So there. Nyeh.

will.i.am would say that's some dope next level shit you're on, man.

ARTPOP is a great title for an album! Like it's POPART in reverse.

S

StillCool

Haha. Okay... guess I'm homophobic, I'll go ask Azealia to tutor me in the ways of post-homophobia.

So... it's bad to refer to a 'man who is gay' as 'a gay man'... but it's totally cool to call him a faggot as an insult? Is that right?

Not at all. You kind of manifest my point. I wasn't calling you homophobic. I was saying gay men aren't a collective - they are only connected via a sexual orientation. And I said 'if we accept her explanation' then his sexuality has nothing to do with it.

Not at all. You kind of manifest my point. I wasn't calling you homophobic. I was saying gay men aren't a collective - they are only connected via a sexual orientation. And I said 'if we accept her explanation' then his sexuality has nothing to do with it.

I just don't see how calling a man who is gay a 'faggot' could possibly be about anything other than his sexuality, especially given she explicitly references his 'dick breath' and 'gaping bum hole'. I mean... that's pretty clear to me. I doubt she'd use the same insult for a straight person, and even if she did, it would still be offensive. I'm really not that invested though, so we should probably like talk about ARTPOP or something.

S

StillCool

I just don't see how calling a man who is gay a 'faggot' could possibly be about anything other than his sexuality, especially given she explicitly references his 'dick breath' and 'gaping bum hole'. I mean... that's pretty clear to me. I doubt she'd use the same insult for a straight person, and even if she did, it would still be offensive. I'm really not that invested though, so we should probably like talk about ARTPOP or something.

Sure we can. I'll just finish with the points you make then.

They seem like insults relating to promiscuity more than anything. Yes, it was insulting, the point was that if you believe her explanation it isn't homophobic, as not solely targeting gay men. And finally I agree with you that it was homophobic if you reject her explanation.

Also, unrelated, I'm not sure why you all find post-homophobia such a mockable thing. Isn't it a pretty worthy ideal?

Sure we can. I'll just finish with the points you make then.

They seem like insults relating to promiscuity more than anything. Yes, it was insulting, the point was that if you believe her explanation it isn't homophobic, as not solely targeting gay men. And finally I agree with you that it was homophobic if you reject her explanation.

Also, unrelated, I'm not sure why you all find post-homophobia such a mockable thing. Isn't it a pretty worthy ideal?

Backing you up on everything you've said so far.

It's deriding men for being feminine- a trait typically equated with gay men- using a word that is used to belittle and ridicule gay men and she's using it against a gay man. Her explanation just seems to add to the homophobic connotations of what she's said to me.

StillCool, you seem hell-bent (no pun intended) on believing her explanation. Is there not a part of you that thinks she was just backtracking?

Tell us what you really think instead of all the academia.

R

Resi12

Stache is now rumoured to be called Fags.

WHERE'S MY FAGS? CAN YOU FEED MY LUV.
HOIGH PRINCESSS!

Remember the Born This Way review that said the chorus of Bad Kids sounded like she was singing "I'm a faggot"? I think it was on Slant. That would've been interesting.

Rmx

He/Him/His

"post-homophobic". Oooh so she was only calling him a faggot because she was making fun of the negative qualities that are typically associated with 'gay men'? But of course there are also 'men that happen to be homosexual' who act as hetero-normative and inoffensive as possible, and no she wouldn't make fun of them because they behave the way straight society expects them to. So in this 'post homophobic utopia', all gay men simply act like they're straight and we pretend homophobia doesn't exist, and we're done!

JackIsCool, oh I'm sorry, StillCool, I get it now. I'm glad from now on we can all relish in our self-justified ignorance and call black people nigger, but only if they act like stereotypical black people. Because then it's okay right? 'Cause you don't mean all black people.

Last edited:

Remember the Born This Way review that said the chorus of Bad Kids sounded like she was singing "I'm a faggot"? I think it was on Slant. That would've been interesting.

I love 'Bad Kids'.

I hear "fat kid" more than "faggot" though.

S

StillCool

Thanks Glok. I think I might be coming across as justifying homophobia or something and I am definitely not.

StillCool, you seem hell-bent (no pun intended) on believing her explanation. Is there not a part of you that thinks she was just backtracking?

Tell us what you really think instead of all the academia.

I don't like Azelia and I think her thread reads like a gay version of a rap forum, enjoying all the fighting and feuds, etc. I think from what I've read she's highly uneducated and I was typically assume homophobia, but from what I know about her, she's very supportive of gay people. I may be wrong. But if this is the case, I simply cannot accept that someone would be stupid enough to be purposefully homophobic. So it makes me inclined to believe she really thought she could use the word in the way she says she has. If she isn't as supportive of the gay community as I've been lead to believe, then I'd assume she's possibly a very stupid person.

And I won't drag you all down into this by starting another branch, but I'd just like to say that working out what is and isn't homophobic, etc, can become so absurd sometimes. For instance, I know many people who'd be gravely offended by SunshineConcubine's statement that femininity is a trait equated with gay men. My main point in all of this is really that I just believe we shouldn't morally criminalise language, but look behind the words and what was really intended when it was used. That's all.

R

Resi12

The intro to Bad Kids makes me nauseous. It's rare I make it to the good part.