Lady Gaga

I know Gaga worked on the melody and vocals and produced the song but the funny thing about this whole situation is that Til It Happens To You sounds so much like a bad 80's ballad that only Gaga could write... The song is like Dope's ugly cousin so that's why I was so sure that Gaga allegedly co-wrote it with Diane.
And by "co-wrote it" I mean changed more than just a line.

But anyway, Linda saying that Diane gave Gaga credit only 'cause she wanted Gaga to promote the song is kind of unprofessional, even if it's true.

Last edited:
There's nothing new in Linda's tweets, though. Gaga has said several times that Diane came to her with the song and they worked together to have it tell both of their stories. If Gaga switched up the melody and produced it, that is part of the writing process and thus deserves a writing credit.

I'm curious to see how Camp Gaga handles this. They'll probably sick Diane on her.

It's not what Linda said but the shady way she said.

Yes, we already knew the song was written before Gaga's involvement with the track but, as a songwriter, Linda knows songwriting credits include melodies, not only lyrics. And if she really has the demo as she said she does, she also knows that the demo and the final track sound very different because Gaga worked on the melodies with Diane. During their interviews they even said that the demo was in a different key and they changed it during recording sessions.

But still Linda decided to say that the only change Gaga made was one line of the lyrics and that the songwriting credits were given to her so the song could be promoted. I thought that was unnecessary.

Anyway, what a mess. Literally a so what is the truth moment. Wake up, Diane! You have some explaining to do.

Last edited:
Oh Linda, if Diane needs Gaga so much to get an Oscar nod that she'd give a full credit away, then why did a Diane song with no credit from the artist get nominated just last year?

It's not what Linda said but the shady way she said.

Yes, we already knew the song was written before Gaga's involvement with the track but, as a songwriter, Linda knows songwriting credits include melodies, not only lyrics. And if she really has the demo as she said she does, she also knows that the demo and the final track sound very different because Gaga worked on the melodies with Diane. During their interviews they even said that the demo was on a different key and they changed it during recording sessions.

But still Linda decided to say that the only change Gaga made was one line of the lyrics and that the songwriting credits were given to her so the song could be promoted. I thought that was unnecessary.

Anyway, what a mess. Literally a so what is the truth moment. Wake up, Diane! You have some explaining to do.

Maybe Linda is just used to popstars coming in, changing a word, and then getting credit so she's coming from that point of view. She's never worked with Gaga so she doesn't know how involved she is.

Though I suppose you could say she shouldn't be saying anything for that reason.

Reactions: Edu
It'll be stopped dead in its tracks if she says something in the morning. All she'll have to do is remind Linda that she is nominated alongside Diane because she produced the track.

The performers of a song are not credited with the Academy Award unless they contributed either to music, lyrics or both in their own right.

The thought that you may consider Dope "prettier" than any other (decent) song... Til It Happens To You feels much more appealing, enjoyable, emotional and overall massive as a listening experience for me. I'm not trying to drag Dope, by the way.

I'm not a big fan of Dope too but it sounds ok when played live.

Can't say the same about Til It Happens To You, though.

A former NYU classmate (?) of Gaga's posted this little anecdote on Facebook about her pre-fame, inspired by the gif of Leo "reacting" to her Globes win:

https://www.facebook.com/lauren.e.bohn/posts/10104612911859459
LET ME CRY A BIT:
Stefani and I had freshman year "writing the essay" together. When it came time to peer review each other's work, Stefs comments were the only ones I cared to read. She wrote and spoke intelligently about being an artist, her struggle to come to terms with trying to be a voice of the people even though she was born into pro ledge, and on the intricate dance of what it was to become a woman in NYC in the early 2000s.

I attended many of her girl and her piano shows around NYU frosh and sophomore years. Her voice, lyrics, and musical skills were undeniable. Furthermore, she worked her ass off to make her career happen- something those lazy haters who made that Facebook group could never have done.

I am immensely proud to say "I knew Gaga when..."

I applaud her work and continue to look forward to the beauty she will create in the future.