Lady Gaga

Good on Diane for settling things! This should hopefully keep things died down.

Diane_Warren: Til It Happens To You was written for The Hunting Ground, an incredibly powerful documentary about sexual assault on college campuses

The song is the result of a special collaboration between myself and Lady Gaga. As Lady Gaga and I have consistly said. Til it Happens

To you was inspired by the countless survivors of abuse who need our support and love so they know they're not alone.

If it's accurate that the song underwent very few lyrical changes after Gaga got involved, she shouldn't have writing credits. It's as simply as that. No one, including Linda, is saying she had nothing to do with other elements of the song.

he/him
If it's accurate that the song underwent very few lyrical changes after Gaga got involved, she shouldn't have writing credits. It's as simply as that. No one, including Linda, is saying she had nothing to do with other elements of the song.

Gaga has a credit because she re-composed the track. According to the Academy's rules, she has a rightful credit and nomination.

Linda has lost a lot of respect from me. Diane responded perfectly. The song is about rape and has helped numerous survivors deal with their pain. Devaluing that for some silly award, no matter how "prestigious" it is, is just unnecessary and inappropriate.

Even just one change could make or break the song, and nobody knows exactly in detail what was changed.
Apart from that we all know this song wouldn't have gone anywhere without Gaga attached, and according to real sources she had quite a hand in the finished product. So she rightfully deserves it.

Linda has lost a lot of respect from me. Diane responded perfectly. The song is about rape and has helped numerous survivors deal with their pain. Devaluing that for some silly award, no matter how "prestigious" it is, is just unnecessary and inappropriate.

Ok but I don't think Diane should be pulling the "the song has more meaning than any awards!" card at this point.

he/him
I still don't think Linda meant any malice, but she certainly went about it all the wrong way and ended up ignoring Gaga's relation to the song and her experience as a rape survivor in the process.

The Academy's rules don't make sense here. For Best Movie the award goes to the producers, who could have zero involvement in the movie.
For songs, the production is very important, yet they choose to only award the screenplay of the song so to speak. And the screenplay award is usually a consolation prize.

Exactly! Linda's ignoring a crucial part of the narrative. And it's just sad that Gaga's generosity is always overlooked with people instead wanting to expose her as some talentless hack. Here's what RedOne said about him and Gaga writing 'Bad Romance' together:

CZBi_oZWEAAV9P3.jpg

Diane_Warren: Til It Happens To You was written for The Hunting Ground, an incredibly powerful documentary about sexual assault on college campuses

The song is the result of a special collaboration between myself and Lady Gaga. As Lady Gaga and I have consistly said. Til it Happens

To you was inspired by the countless survivors of abuse who need our support and love so they know they're not alone.

Good on Diane for settling things! This should hopefully keep things died down.

This seems like a complete deflection tbh. Notice how she doesn't outright just say 'Gaga helped write this track/it was a joint writing effort' etc. Any artist working with a songwriter is a collaboration as the artist might say 'I wanna go for this vibe' or 'I'm very influenced by this' but that doesn't mean they actually write on the track.

Leak the demo Lindus and let the popular masses decide.

This seems like a complete deflection tbh. Notice how she doesn't outright just say 'Gaga helped write this track/it was a joint writing effort' etc. Any artist working with a songwriter is a collaboration as the artist might say 'I wanna go for this vibe' or 'I'm very influenced by this' but that doesn't mean they actually write on the track.
Hmm, you're right. It is suspicious. You know, after this, I'm starting to think she maybe didn't even write anything on Cheek To Cheek!

Hmm, you're right. It is suspicious. You know, after this, I'm starting to think she maybe didn't even write anything on Cheek To Cheek!

I heard Beyonce tried to get a writing credit when visiting Gaga but Tony pulled a 'Crypt Keeper' and scared her away.

Don't get sensitive, a respected and well known songwriter says they heard the demo of a song before a popstar wrote on it and it was basically the same song would have people usually reacting and question the way I am if it was say Miley but because its Gaga people are all in their feelings.

Best Picture goes to the producer. The Director has his/her own award. If they elect to have the director speak at the end of the ceremony it has nothing to do with the recipient of the award itself.

he/him

Leak the demo Lindus and let the popular masses decide.

You seem to really want Gaga's credit to be fraudulent. As explained several times in this thread, the credit comes from the fact Gaga composed a new version based on the original demo. Her changing a line has little to do with the larger scope of things.

I heard Beyonce tried to get a writing credit when visiting Gaga but Tony pulled a 'Crypt Keeper' and scared her away.

Don't get sensitive, a respected and well known songwriter says they heard the demo of a song before a popstar wrote on it and it was basically the same song would have people usually reacting and question the way I am if it was say Miley but because its Gaga people are all in their feelings.
Linda said the lyrics were the same bar one and didn't mention anything else.

The main reason I have no time for this bullshit is because of the kind of artist Lady Gaga is. She's written everything she's ever released, she's always remarkably up front about the creative process (and has been about this song as well), every collaborator she's ever had has sung her praises (like the quote @mindtrappa posted) and overall, everything we know about her as an artist goes against her sneakily buying a writing credit. It's just common sense.