Lady Gaga | Page 3727 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by cherryboomboom, Dec 22, 2009.

1. HMD

HMD

What a performance! Just watched this and she’s awesome in it.

Sleepycat and jbnd05 like this.
  2. Was the film “Oscar worthy” (hype and marketing included) or just Gaga’s performance?

3. Reviews, audience reaction and expert predictions say this film, overall, will not sweep the Oscars - but Gaga has the ability to be nominated for Best Actress.

Alenko, Coolrockgirl and An Insider like this.
  4. Yeah I only see Gaga and maybe costuming Oscar noms coming out of this.

DoggySwami likes this.
  5. Bohemian Rhapsody was a Best Picture contender, what does "Oscar worthy" even mean anymore?

I could see this making an awards splash if it does really solid box office numbers. I think the industry is desperate for a hit that isn't a franchise.

Sleepycat likes this.
  6. Yeah but that was a box office smash and the Oscars love both music biopics and physical transformations. This really is a much different story.

7. For some reason I found A Star is Born about as enjoyable as nails on a chalkboard but I loved this. Gaga was wonderful casting. I was totally sold. I also didn’t even notice the run time - I was captivated from start to finish. Agree with others though on the ending needing more fleshing out though.

8. I fall asleep every time I try to watch A Star Is Born but I'm gonna give this a try!

9. How are all your takes... takes.

10. I felt like this was a glorified telefilm, and while very entertaining it also feels very... surface? Even at 150 minutes it feels like there’s a lot missing, because it is a lot of years. And Maurizio is literally... nothing? Just a character to play off of?

Gaga is good if a bit one note. She does throw herself into the role and it pays off because of her sheer magnetism. The sound track is excellent.

11. Well maybe, but it did win Best Editing, while having potentially the worst editing of any movie I've ever seen. 61 cuts in a 90 second scene.

Some of the choices made at the Oscars are just inexplicable.

12. Solenciennes

Solenciennes Staff Member

I had a great time, I avoided watching trailers and interviews so I could go in with no expectations and I was captivated. Beautiful sets and clothes and Gaga was a triumph, Leto was a bit too much of a caricature but I did smile at a couple of his it’s-a me Luigi isms so it wasn’t totally awful. Have to agree that I don’t think Driver’s portrayal really told you all that much about Gucci the man and what his motivations were for the latter half of the film but I’d absolutely recommend a watch to anyone on the fence.

Lapras and Sleepycat like this.
  13. #HouseOfGucci[​IMG] has the best box office opening for a drama since December 2019's #LittleWomen

Impressive Spotify stats for 2021 too. Her simultaneous slay!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  14. The gap between Rihanna and Billie though.

15. The breakdown in 'Marry The Night' just does something to me. A MOMENT.

VertigoStick, dirtypony, R92 and 17 others like this.
  16. Fixed that for you.

VertigoStick, allyshone, R92 and 9 others like this.
  17. Variety literally stanning

18. Everyone involved is doing their damndest, but are often let down by some of Ridley's strange editing and flow choices. I think Al Pacino and Gaga bodied their respective roles and deserve recognition, and I think the hair/makeup and costume design deserve acknowledgement.

I was smiling through the entire thing. I went in wanting to be critical because I wanted to see if I could "see" Gaga in the movie and I just couldn't; she was completely invisible to me throughout.

19. The film’s Box Office success is going to do wonders for her nomination chances. She could be the only one in her category with a ‘hit’ film.

Wishlight, neinzedd, Alenko and 5 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.