Lady Gaga

he/him
The frustration with the way she seems to have prioritized Haus Labs and spon-con is understandable, but I just don't believe she has as much disdain or apathy for her music career these days as people think. That clip of her reacting with genuine joy and emotion to a career montage during an interview in 2021 and the uncanny, fond detail recall in her My Life In Looks video stick out in my mind.

he/him
I don’t even necessarily need posts about music to balance out the spon-con, but she (aka her social media manager) literally only gets on to plug Haus Labs at this point. At least give us the illusion that you care. I’m not even asking for like glimpses of her personal life if she’s not comfortable sharing. Like sis hasn’t even said anything about the anti-LGBTQ+ legislation happening in the US, which is wild considering she was on a one woman crusade to stop racism and COVID in 2020 in order to avoid promoting her album.

Someone give her a new horse or something that she can post about other than make up pls ddd.

I don’t know. It’s just unclear to know where she stands because we don’t see her doing anything other than trying to sell make up these days. Which is like… okay? But other things could co-exist. When she was doing Chromatica Ball and doing weekly updates showing how the make up stayed untouched after 2 hours of sweat just living on stage, no one was questioning about her passion for music or being a popstar, but nowadays it literally looks like her pages are giant Billboards and nothing else.

It’s no attempt of “putting one against the other” but you have people like Beyoncé who keeps a very private life from Social Media, yet she was doing these random photo shoots just for her Instagram page and… you know some of them are terrible but it’s Fun. And then she balanced with Ivy Park collections, Tidal and whatever she’s selling.

I think one of the greatest moments in the last 10 years was literally that moment between Joanne Tour and Enigma kicking off, and when she was close to Eli Russel, doing these random-ass photo shoots that were enough to make people excited about her upcoming music and so on then we were targeted and torpedo’ed with Enigma. It’s not that hard, and she’s not obligated but… whew.

I just want better music when she does go back to it (she eventually will). She's never made a bad album (though I did really struggle with some of the stuff on A Star Is Born OST), but she's been pretty mid since Joanne. Joanne was a great album but it's when I could sense the creative balloon deflating a bit. Like, I don't know if she's even capable of making an entire collection of bad music because it seems like she just breathes good melodies. But her work has just been a bit too standard for too long. It's not a horrible situation but it's not ideal either.

Last edited:
F

Fertilizer

I'm sorry but this is such a pointless discussion. It feels a bit, dare I say, entitled. She could be completely disinterested in music right now and that's her prerogative and quite normal as an artist. She could be quietly working on new stuff as rumoured and not want to share any of it and it's also her prerogative. Sure, it's also your right to talk about and discuss whatever you want, that's what the forum is for, but like... Y'all don't HAVE to be glued to her every insta update and feel frustrated when it's more Haus Labs. I certainly am not, and happier for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The state of her career depresses the fuck out of me.

lie-liar.gif

Completely off topic but I feel so stupid - I JUST realized the weird machinery sound in the intro and each pre-chorus in “Babylon” is a trumpeting elephant, presumably since Babylon is (inaccuratey) associated with elephants (because of DW Griffith, of racist KKK propoganda “cinema clasic” trash Birth of a Nation fame, insisting on giant elephant sculptures in a vignette about Babylon in his film Intolerance.

Ever since that one writer described “wild animal sounds” in the Babylon demo, (which is notably loon-free), I always was like “girl where”.

I'm sorry but this is such a pointless discussion. It feels a bit, dare I say, entitled. She could be completely disinterested in music right now and that's her prerogative and quite normal as an artist. She could be quietly working on new stuff as rumoured and not want to share any of it and it's also her prerogative. Sure, it's also your right to talk about and discuss whatever you want, that's what the forum is for, but like... Y'all don't HAVE to be glued to her every insta update and feel frustrated when it's more Haus Labs. I certainly am not, and happier for it.
No one said she has to do anything but this board is meant for discussing popstars' careers? We dissect everything everyone does so I'm not sure why Gaga is supposed to be off limits. I think it's completely fair to wonder where her head is at regarding her music career these days, considering she was one of the best popstars we have ever had, without being called entitled.

F

Fertilizer

No one said she has to do anything but this board is meant for discussing popstars' careers? We dissect everything everyone does so I'm not sure why Gaga is supposed to be off limits. I think it's completely fair to wonder where her head is at regarding her music career these days, considering she was one of the best popstars we have ever had, without being called entitled.
Why even bother quoting my post if you're gonna ignore what's written and use points I already addressed in it?

I'm sorry but this is such a pointless discussion. It feels a bit, dare I say, entitled.
This is the part I was responding to. I'm glad that you don't check her socials and are happier for it (although that indifference apparently doesn't extend to also speculating about the direction of her music career) but the discussion you branded as pointless and entitled was larger than just her social media presence.

I hope it's clearer for you now.

F

Fertilizer

This is the part I was responding to. I'm glad that you don't check her socials and are happier for it (although that indifference apparently doesn't extend to also speculating about the direction of her music career) but the discussion you branded as pointless and entitled was larger than just her social media presence.

I hope it's clearer for you now.
And I was addressing "the discussion" mainly as the hand wringing over her social media presence, which is pointless and just seems like... unecessary stress to put on oneself. And the tone of some of the posts IS very entitled.

The constant worry about "does she even like music anymore" is also part of what I deem unecessary, though more of an understandable thing to worry about, I guess. It's just clear to me she's not into sharing much on social media these days beyond using it for the bare minimum #promo obligations, and that includes not sharing anything about her next album or music anniversaries and milestones.

The silence about the growing queerphobic legislation and etc in the US is indeed unfortunate and surprising, though.

It's been said before, but I think the whiplash comes mostly from the dissonance in the way she built her profile and character versus the way she behaves now. It always felt inevitable though, and it's not like she was ever obligated to keep up her social media presence the way it used to be forever, but there's a reason why you don't hear the same complaints from, say, Beyoncé fans. Her Instagram page looking like an Avon catalog is just surprising when it comes from the same woman who took pride in saying "no, I won't put my name on your perfume bottle (but did it anyway dd)," "I won't attend your Hollywood parties," "you have to be willing to die for your art," blah blah blah. Again, I think much of it was her partaking in the buildup of her self-mythology, and she doesn't need to go back to anything. This is just me trying to explain where the frustration comes from when it comes to Lady Gaga specifically.

It's been said before, but I think the whiplash comes mostly from the dissonance in the way she built her profile and character versus the way she behaves now. It always felt inevitable though, and it's not like she was ever obligated to keep up her social media presence the way it used to be forever, but there's a reason why you don't hear the same complaints from, say, Beyoncé fans. Her Instagram page looking like an Avon catalog is just surprising when it comes from the same woman who took pride in saying "no, I won't put my name on your perfume bottle (but did it anyway dd)," "I won't attend your Hollywood parties," "you have to be willing to die for your art," blah blah blah. Again, I think much of it was her partaking in the buildup of her self-mythology, and she doesn't need to go back to anything. This is just me trying to explain where the frustration comes from when it comes to Lady Gaga specifically.

Yeah, she built a close connection with her fans. She, in my opinion, was one of the main artists who was really queen of utilizing social media at the big boom of social media, to invite her fans in on what her thoughts were, what her behind the scenes was like, etc. but she also let fans cross the line to friends too, And I think the whole thing became very overwhelming for her so she stepped away. It's disappointing because I think there is some healthy middle ground she could find.

And particularly in the social justice aspect that she's been quieter about than in the past. There's a line in Star Is Born actually that really stuck with me where Bradley Cooper's character says "Everyone's talented, but not everyone has something to say". Gaga used to be someone with a lot to say, stood up for change, empowered people to fly their freak flag, etc. and I miss things like that. She has a huge platform and yeah she's done so much but now she just doesn't bother and it's weird.
I guess I should like, set different expectations for someone who literally doesn't owe us anything. It's just hard to go from all of these things to none of it.

Another one of her tours not seeing the light of day after its recording is depressing as hell. Girlie needs to stop promoting shows being filmed if she's not going to deliver on the final product.

It’s valid as longtime fans to comment on the shift in her since 2018/19. No ones really mad at Haus Labs itself, it’s just the way everything feels like a monetary push she isn’t necessarily super passionate about. Makeup brands take a lot of marketing, valid, but it’s crazy how someone who’s known for her authenticity and conviction only moves publicly to take a half-hearted pic holding a lip liner.

Last edited:
She has a thing about how she looks on film. I believe that’s why she didn’t end up releasing the Joanne tour either, despite it being fully edited, and it was also why she said she didn’t watch Five Foot Two when they were working on it, because she knew it would never get released. I don’t know why she doesn’t just hand over the reigns to stuff like this and then just let it be released for fans.
I’m the first to acknowledge how particular she’s always been about the way her work and her image are presented (sometimes justifiably, sometimes to a fault), but I genuinely don’t understand this. What is she concerned about? She’s been a major, internationally successfully musical act for a decade and half. Her face has covered entire subway trains. We all know how she looks like dd

Her career is fine, the comeback she staged after the depths of 2013 should literally be studied, but it’s not unreasonable to acknowledge that a certain vitality and energy that defined her early career—when we all started stanning!—isn’t really there anymore, leaving many of us with a very “what now???” type of feeling. And that’s fine, but people are allowed to say it.

If she’s only just booking sessions at the end of this year, then I don’t see an album coming that soon. She typically takes about a year, sometimes two, on her projects.
Wasn't she recording Joanne until summer 2016 though? I feel like Chromatica was the exception because she had A Star Is Born's promo cycle and its era lasted longer than everyone expected.

But I think it's mostly me desperately thinking (hoping) she'll try to put an album out before JFAD's premiere dd.