Lana Del Rey - Honeymoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
he/him
Another photo and interview preview

55e6e8821d0000d3011468f4.jpeg

Lana Del Rey doesn't always give interviews, but when she does, she makes them count.

The sultry songstress sat down with friend James Franco for V Magazine's fall issue to talk about her new album, the criticisms she faces and, of course, that infamous "anti-feminist" quote.

"The luxury we have as a younger generation is being able to figure out where we want to go from here, which is why I’ve said things like, 'I don’t focus on feminism, I focus on the future,'" she told Franco. "It’s not to say that there’s not more to do in that area. I’ve gotten to witness through history the evolution of so many movements and now I’m standing at the forefront of new technological movements."

She continued, "I’m not undermining other issues. But I feel like that’s obvious, like I shouldn’t even have to bring that up."

Of her new album, "Honeymoon," Del Rey explained, "It's the word that sums up the ultimate dream. I mean, life is a honeymoon, y'know?? Life, love, paradise, freedoms ... that's forever."

Del Rey also appears on the glossy's cover, which was shot by photographer Steven Klein and left totally unretouched.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lana-del-rey-v-magazine-james-franco_55e6e5f3e4b0c818f619bdb1

I don't mind artist regression via the music, but I'm going to need more of those (so) surreal, pastel-washed, Caitlyn-trapped-in-Malibu visuals from "High By The Beach" that had me very piqued. But I understand that was probably all a one-off.

Piling up her hair doesn't seem so much like a regression, but instead more of a complete ownership of her signature style. In the Honeymoon outtakes, she looks ridiculously bland and schoolgirlish, those undignified bangs and that morose stare as if being snapped during truancy. There she allowed herself a break from the go-go mod supreme queen look she's made her own, exuding a simple Lizzie Grant glow, a Nabokovian shine.

But back in the land of glamour, of gods and monsters, there's something striking about her - a reminder of why this pop pastiche embodiment was so curious upon first sight. Her music seems comfortable in its midcentury trappings, but the insertions of gooey melodies and clicking bass are quite welcome, kissing goodbye the hollow Western canyons of Ultraviolence and soaring into some gauzy netherworld where people pop ass in pillbox hats.

rdp

he/him
Not sure what to expect from an entire album produced by Nowels, Kieron Menzies and her. I guess this is basically going to be that semi-acoustic/etheral album she was talking about before she met Auerbach.

Is it just me or are her boxsets getting more shit?

Paradise - double album in exclusive packaging, 4 art cards, remix album, DVD and exclusive 7" picture disc - £25

Ultraviolence - deluxe album, 4 art cards, exclusive double 12" picture disc vinyl - £40

Honeymoon - album in exclusive packaging, 4 art cards - £35

I was tempted by Honeymoon even though I didn't like the cover, just for completists sake, but I realised you only get 4 of the 10 pictured art cards! I think I'll wait until they realise they've over manufactured & put it in a sale like they did with Ultraviolence.

Does anyone else love the song Flipside? I've caught up with the Ultraviolence era (shame on me, I know...) and it's fantastic.

I love it! It's one of the Ultraviolence songs I most come back to. I don't know why but the intro used to creep me out a bit..

Regarding Honeymoon, I now love the title track but Terrence still hasn't clicked yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.