Lana Del Rey - Honeymoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I couldn't care less about airplay or hits or charts, but I do care about brilliant songs. Still not sure about most of this album, but I'll not give up yet.

Religion is absolutely transcendent.
For a second I thought this was Off Topic and you were just making a general statement (once a bumpkin and all that...) but then I realised I was in the Lana thread and, yes, Religion is indeed quite lovely. It's almost feels like a spiritual sequel to Born To Die's title track, right down to the twanging guitar and processional drums.

Last edited:
he/him
This album will require some patience. The melodies throughout are simply beautiful, and she lets them slowly unfold on every song. The pace will obviously put people off, and this is a very dense record. The subtle production flourishes really elevate it past a bunch of funeral songs. Which, actually makes me love the album more; something called Honeymoon inspires imagery of the highest of highs within a romantic relationship. But it feels ironic because the album plays like a break up story. This definitely requires the right mood and listening experience.

One of the things that always keeps me coming back to Lana is how meticulous she is in the presentation of herself. Everything is so carefully curated that you can never be too certain where Elizabeth Grant stops and Lana Del Rey starts. 'Salvatore' feels in part even more brilliant because of this. After critics doubted her complete unravelling with the material on Ultraviolence, the elusive lady who dubbed herself the 'Gangsta Nancy Sinatra' reappears from behind what could easily be a score for The Godfather movie, and all she needs to do is hum a rather basic melody line and cap it off with 'soft ice cream' in her infamous Lolita delivery. It's probably the most knowing wink of the whole record, that Lizzy is oh so aware of the power she has rooted in the sexuality of Ms Del Rey. It's less of a welcome back, but more of a "I'm still here .... somewhere". 'Honeymoon' feels like Lana, but it's Lana departing her beloved America and entering a new European playground after her escapades on the West Coast went awry.

Nice to hear positive reports on this. I know it was almost impossible for anything to be shittier than Ultravalium, but it's nice to have reassurance from reliable sources.

tumblr_nuto6lu1yO1qjb0zjo2_1280.jpg

Let me just...

For a second I thought this was Off Topic and you were just making a general (once a bumpkin and all that...) but then I realised I was in the Lana thread and, yes, Religion is indeed quite lovely. It's almost feels like a spiritual sequel to Born To Die's title track, right down to the twanging guitar and processional drums.

Always perched for a good drag I see.

But yes, I absolutely agree. It creates a certain sense atmosphere as the best of Born to Die did.

"Swan Song" just hit me like a brick. The whole album grew on me immensely (and still is, actually). It's gotta be her second best album for me, behind Ultraviolence and above Born to Die and Paradise, respectively.

I never found Ultraviolence a particularly difficult album. The title track, Brooklyn Baby and West Coast (particularly the radio mix) were all very instant with accessible melodies. Honeymoon feels a lot denser with hooks far more difficult to access. It may be more rewarding in the long run, but at the moment it isn't hitting me in the same way Ultraviolence did.

I am a big big Lana fan since 2011 even before she go those million views on Youtube and i'm sad to see that she won't be able to top Ultraviolence brillance. I'm pretty sure i won't even listen to it in few weeks excepts some songs like MTWB, Salvatore (the a capella part with the piano is amazing), Freak & HBTB.
SHe already said that she was thinking about the next album and that she wanted to work with new and different people for this one. I'm pretty sure we will have a new album in 2017 right after her worldwide tour starting in the beginning of 2016.

D

Deleted member 3416

24 totally should've been the new Bond theme.
Art Deco is just hypnotising.
Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood is not good, vocally it annoys me and it's quite whiny.
Freak is a standout.
God Knows I Tried is just average/too repetitive although there's moments where Lana shines.
High By The Beach remains amazing.
Honeymoon remains a drag.
Music To Watch Boys To is a track I'm not sure if I truly enjoy or not yet.
Religion could be a grower.
Salvatore is enjoyable.
Swan Song is great.
Terrence Loves You is meh.
The Blackest Day is gorgeous.

Highlights: High By The Beach, Freak, The Blackest Day, Art Deco, Swan Song, Salvatore

Really don't understand the 'promo' singles they went for apart from High By The Beach. I can't wait to listen to it more so hopefully it'll grow on me just like Ultraviolence. Great album though with a few draggy/zzz moments.

"Don't Let Me Be Understood" is rather bad indeed, which is a shame. I enjoy "Music to Watch Boys to" a lot but I think it was better if the production was more refined and generally a bit cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.