Lana Del Rey - Lasso (Sep 2024)

I used to wonder why I'm having this on-off love affair w Lana. Then I realised it's always the same cycle, she usually puts out an album I like, then has these flop performances, then comes back w another nice studio album etc. etc.

I used to wonder why I'm having this on-off love affair w Lana. Then I realised it's always the same cycle, she usually puts out an album I like, then has these flop performances, then comes back w another nice studio album etc. etc.
So you like her albums but not her performances. That conclusion should have been fairly easy to come to?

I'm in the same boat. Each and every one of her albums is a classic, but she's the worst live performer I've ever seen and her disaster of a Coachella set only reinforced that. But good for her for arriving on a motorcycle I guess.

I know there are no wrong opinions but I'm curious how anyone could call that a disaster. There were technical issues and maybe she was a little shaky vocally but overall it was so enjoyable. Yes she has a... languid vibe as a performer but she sings ballads, I wasn't expecting her to break out into hardcore choreo. At least she made an attempt to stage the performances and she did do a bit of choreographed movement.

Last edited:
I’ve been listening to her a lot lately and I've decided Fuck it I love you is one of her best songs.

it turns out California's more than just a state of mind
I met you on the Boulevard
braids in my hair, you blew my mind
and if I wasn't so fucked up I think I'd fuck you all the time
it's killing me slowly

whew ok!

Last edited:
I like the fact that it sounds like a hymn, so affecting emotionally and big but at the same time has lyrics about more casual every day feelings. Does a super cool clash It is very inspiring. It is a great song

I'm in the same boat. Each and every one of her albums is a classic, but she's the worst live performer I've ever seen and her disaster of a Coachella set only reinforced that. But good for her for arriving on a motorcycle I guess.

There's just not much to be done about it though. Her stage prowess, such as it is, is better suited for small venues, but she's so successful now that it's an impractical solution. Luckily for her, she has the level of it-factor that makes crowds worship her even as she stands still and hits the correct note every now and then.

Yeah, I mean we know what we're gonna get at this point, and it will be Lana singing maybe half of any given song. At first I thought it could be a technical issue considering how soft her singing voice naturally is but after ten years it is what it is. I still love her music though and she is capable of incredible live vocals if the venue is small enough or it's a televised performance. @rdp posted this in the Lana rate (go check it out!) and it's just wild how present and technically competent, if not downright wonderful, she sounds here: