Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell! | Page 308 | The Popjustice Forum

Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell!

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Oh I think they're two of her finest, 'Love' in particular is spellbinding.

2. I had long discussions on wine with my best friend about her music and we have completely different views on everything. Which is great and shows that while many people say it's just all the same there is clear direction within the projects that are speaking more or less to the fans.

3. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Ultraviolence is her weakest save for West Coast and Brooklyn Baby.

Satyress, blissteria, Jwentz and 2 others like this.
  4. upload_2020-1-28_13-57-59.gif

5. aux

aux

It's difficult for me to rank her album past which one is my favourite. Norman Fucking Rockwell! is her best effort so far. Born To Die is brilliant, I see it like her Body Talk, an album that runs like a greatest hits. Ultraviolence is a complete switch up from the first album, I still enjoy it, but rarely go back to it, so I kind of have to agree with @2014.

Dangerous Maknae and 2014 like this.
  6. And there we all were thinking Monkey Sock was the worst mod!

Espeon likes this.
  7. Honeymoon and Paradise are her least strong efforts but they house The Blackest Day and Ride respectively so I can't be too hard on them.

8. I think Lust for Life and Born To Die have huge highs but some lows. Ultraviolence and Honeymoon are more consistently great. And Norman Fucking Rockwell has the huge highs and just doesn’t let up pretty much start to finish. So yeah, it’s hard to rank her albums. Each one has a handful of songs that I absolutely adore.

9. aux

aux

The flavour.

[​IMG]

10. Born to Die + Paradise is her best album and everything else is somewhere below it, with no need to really rank them because they live under the shadow of that and that's all that needs to be said.

At least, for me.

SlowGinFizzzz likes this.
  11. Born To Die
    NFR
    Lust for Life

Her trintity.

12. Born To Die
    Ultraviolence
    Norman Fucking Rockwell

Her trinity.

13. NFR
    Ultraviolence
    Born To Die
    Lust for Life
    Honeymoon

Each album has a similar soundscape I just think it’s amazing how she has cultivated this sound and has been pushing it further and further with each release.

LoveSoSoft likes this.
  14. I'm of the opinion that she needs to dial it back. The clarity in her vocals in her first album on a lot of the songs is beautiful and she's kind of given that up in favor of a reverb/echo/dreamy effect on her voice which I just personally do not prefer, especially because it melts into the instrumental and makes a lot of her songs sound very similar or just very chill... Which is fine but for me, I need a little kick.

I also think the instrumentals on Born to Die are honestly just more my tastes than any of the stuff she's done on any other record. Lust For Life (the song) had me excited though. I love when she does a bit more upbeat or uptempo song. Not asking her to make happy music, I guess part of her appeal is that she makes sadgirl music but, that doesn't mean her music has to be so somber.

I remember listening to Born To Die (the song) for the first time... The strings that kick off the song, that beat underneath the song. And then her voice, while yes, it does have that echo-y effect, it isn't lost in the production, it is contrasted by the slightly more pop-y feel to the beat that plays under her. Been waiting her to do more music like that and I've pretty much given up hope after like 4 albums.

SlowGinFizzzz likes this.
  15. Ultraviolence, Honeymoon and NFR are THE three.

Runawaywithme, relby, Hunter and 2 others like this.
  16. Norman
    Fucking
    Rockwell.
    Her trintitty <3

Mikal, LTG, Sprockrooster and 13 others like this.
  17. I always listen to Honeymoon to fall asleep on planes. Two Tylenol PM + two white wines + Honeymoon is a great way to cross the Atlantic!

strictmachine79 and Subspace88 like this.
  18. NFR
    Ultraviolence
    Honeymoon

Her trinity.

relby, Hunter, Sprockrooster and 3 others like this.
  19. 1. Arnold Fucking Schwarzenegger!
    2. Moccasin Bitch
    3. Lana Del Rey Sings for Only the Homos with Complex Relationships with the Father Figures in Their Lives

4. Slower, Jigglypuff! Sedate! Sedate!
    5. Straight Up Crack Cocaine

20. I need to hear this EP.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.