Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell! | Page 314 | The Popjustice Forum

Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell!

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Mar 16, 2018.

1. It’s extremely beautiful and did what I didn’t thought she was able too - make a song bigger and more complete than Ride.

The whole album is incredible and without a doubt in my top 10 of all time. It has this very special feeling of an album where absolutely everything about an artist felt into place leaving us with eternal beauty and a rare complete satisfaction.

There is nothing I desire, not a single bit I would want to change. Just immerse into this wonderful world of music, story telling and feelings. Wow.

2. The strings that open the album are just blissful. Heal me Lana.

3. SMG

SMG

Up till know I’ve found it hard to come back to this album since everything took a turn this year, because the emotion in the music resonates too deeply for it to be a positive experience at the moment.

I’ve just sat and listened to the album for the first time in weeks and it was such a cathartic, cleansing experience. I hope this album goes down as a Tapestry, a Rumours, a Blue and is never forgotten. Every single detail feels so perfectly human, effortlessly loaded with the heaviest of ideas and yet I’ve found it soothing, and I feel lighter.

If I never hear an album like this every again, then you’ll find me listening to NFR for eternity. Thanks, Lana.

4. Thank you Lord, it's me your little Venice Bitch.

5. I take it she & her mom have beef? Ddddd. I love Lana so much, though. My queen.

An Insider likes this.
  6. rdp

rdp

It's been the object of fan speculation for quite some time, but she did post more stuff on instagram:

7. Lana being the great lyricist we all know and also a 'love you to the moon and back' girl is a scream.

tea, Andy French, Kuhleezi and 2 others like this.
  8. Does anyone know why Young & Beautiful is no longer on Spotty Fry?

9. It's there for me. Possibly an issue with local liscencing?

10. Gods and Monsters disappeared for a while for me too. It’s there now.

Weslicious likes this.
  11. I don’t even know what thread to put this in since she has about three WIPs but

tea, nooniebao, RUNAWAY and 4 others like this.
  12. New album September 5!

[​IMG]

tea, Glitterizer and Bobbyrae like this.
  13. She must still be embittered by "High by the Beach" not charting as high as she thought it did. That's delusion, babes.

On a serious note though, notice how she vilified mostly black women in the introduction to her open letter. It all circles back to arguments by prominent black female sociologists about black women being nothing but Jezebels to those who aren't us.

Black women as a collective will always be seen as sexually immoral, promiscuous, and impure by outsiders. Beyoncé made her self-titled album about existing as a black feminist while being a mother, a sexual being, a wife, and a performer. She also made an album about being cheated on and subsequently suffering the same fate as her mother while navigating the complex dynamics of black femininity between generations.

Doja literally embraces her sexuality with fun bops and clever wordplay that have crossover appeal. Cardi B has publically been unapologetic about embracing her sexual agency, and she has similarly been cheated on in the public eye. Kehlani has suffered from rumors of being a cheater to the point where she attempted fucking suicide.

Lana wants to shame these women just to place herself on a motherfucking white pedestal so she can sing her songs about blackened eyes, getting taken advantage of by rich old white men named Jim, and being sad yet horny?

Man, fuck her.

I'm beyond eloquence at this point. What the fuck does she gain from this—other than revealing that she's nothing more than an oblivious white woman who won't "get it" despite how hard she thinks she's trying.

She got all the critical acclaim that she could ask for in the past year. Why is she coming for main pop girls when she is nothing of the sort? She should be aiming questions at people in her lane, not mostly black women. I'm getting real tired of her bullshit introspection; it's evident that she speaks from her ass and hits "upload" without giving anything a second thought. I'm ashamed at how much I have adored her music in the past, because this feels like a slap in the face.

And I haven't even addressed the "I'm not not a feminist" statement yet. Whew, I'm beyond blown. I'm shredding what's left of my stan card.

Black women aren't responsible for her not as being critically acclaimed as she desired to be since her career started. Fuck outta here with that.

14. You're doing amazing x

thommyh, lushLuck, tea and 17 others like this.
  15. I genuinely want to know what 'the culture' is she addresses this to. Here to learn, English is my second language, etc.

I won't stop thinking about "I'm not not a feminist" for a while. Oh Lana.

slaybellz likes this.
  16. The way she mentions those other women literally makes no sense, like I can't even slightly work out what point she's trying to make. Mess.

17. It seems like she's got a bone to pick with the sexual agency of a black woman, but won't call it for what it really is, so she's disguising it as "culture."

If y'all could see the way my twitter timeline has erupted into absolute chaos over this... Everyone (including me) is tearing her a new one, as they should. It's insulting.

18. Burying that halfway through hoping it would go unnoticed.

andru, slaybellz and Subspace88 like this.
  19. It seems to me though that her post wasn’t at all shading those artists

Toshi, LMX, blissteria and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.