Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell! | Page 315 | The Popjustice Forum

Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell!

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Mar 16, 2018.

1. I knew there would be at least one person to gaslight me over what I read and assessed. Don't start with me.

2. Because the only females hitting the top of the charts lately are WOC, with the exception of Ariana (& I love this btw).

thommyh likes this.
  3. aux

aux

She's trying to overshadow whatever that mess of a statement is by announcing two poetry books and the release date for a new album. What a clown.

4. Also, I feel like this would have made slightly more sense* about four years ago. But since NFR it feels like the music industry has very much been on her side? At least in a way that they weren’t necessarily before. I know it’s not the be all end all but she was nominated for Album Of The Year at the Grammys. She’s still an underdog, but she’s not quite the underdog that she once was. People like her a lot these days.

And the way she comments on black women - muffy it’s trash.

*It still wouldn’t have made a lot of sense.

5. The irony is that by unnecessarily calling out those names, she’s doing exactly what was done to her by delegitimizing their experiences, even if it’s not what she intended, the implication is in the air. Any point she thought she was going to make is instantly overshadowed by the entire opening paragraph. This is like when she tried to insert herself in Kanye’s drama all over again.

thommyh, constantino, Robert and 51 others like this.
  6. Also those profits to Native Indian foundations. I feel dirty.

lushLuck, tea, slaybellz and 3 others like this.
  7. I’m sorry I don’t mean to gaslight you, I just didn’t see the shade? The letter just seemed to me be talking about the critics and the public. I could be wrong but I think Lana likes and respects those artists

8. I think Ann Powers really pissed her off last year. She doesn't seem to be over it still, dddd. I remember we were collectively shocked when Lana skull dragged her then.

EricG1990 and Ethan Rams like this.
  9. Not Lana trying to promulgate a victimisation narrative when she's still able to move hundreds of thousands of album units in a single week and received a monumental amount of critical acclaim for her last record...it just doesn't make any sense. Anyone silencing her or denouncing her art is far outweighed by her devotees at this point.

The names she lists don't make any sense either. Kehlani, a number one single? I would like to see it dot gif. Is her argument that Black women have more freedom than her in the way they make art and have their art criticised? Again, there's overwhelming amounts of evidence to suggest that Black women musicians - particularly "up-and-comers" - have it all stacked against them.

Anyway, looking forward to the next iOs-on-a-typewriter press release apologising for all this stupidity!

thommyh, constantino, Robert and 41 others like this.
  10. Yeah now I see this. I don’t get why she had to name drop, there was a great point to be had and she’s buried it.

Jamestheplumb likes this.
  11. She uses black women like Beyoncé, Cardi B, Nicki Minaj, Kehlani, and Doja Cat to prop herself up while also stigmatizing the music they make and demoralizing their artistry for the sake of her own word vomit.

12. She’s not exactly WRONG though is she? I mean I’m still ASTOUNDED we live in a world where NOBODY had a fucking issue with “eat the cake Anna Mae” in bloody Drunk In Love .

blissteria likes this.
  13. That insta post made me feel really weird. Like, 2014 weird. I’m not sure what she’s on about—NFR, aside from Ann Powers, had glowing reviews and more than positive buzz. I wonder what prompted this, or if it’s late night incoherent response that reads more lost train of thought than self reflection. The overcompensation aspect of mentioning new projects is a whole :( vibe. I love her, but let’s do better.

Andy French likes this.
  14. People did have an issue with it.

thommyh, constantino, Robert and 47 others like this.
  15. Using all caps does not legitimize your argument.

Many people were verbally against that line—a line which Jay-Z had uttered, not Beyoncé. Please try again with a more substantial take that makes sense.

16. Yeah I see your point now. I guess I was so distracted by my agreeing with the sentiment about critics responding to her work that I was giving her the benefit of the doubt with that opening statement and the mention of Ari threw me off for a second so I didn’t realize at first it was mostly women of color.

17. thommyh, lushLuck, PopCrushed and 9 others like this.
  18. I mean, I wouldn’t say it was a great point even then. It’s confusing why she’s feeling this way when she’s arguably never been more accepted by the public, the media and the music industry. But at least it would have made more sense who she was going after. What’s worse is that instead of addressing this, she’ll turn her comments off and disappear for a few weeks instead of apologizing to the women she named and admitting she made a very tone deaf statement.

Crisp X, tea, EricG1990 and 18 others like this.
  19. Let the record show I've BEEN biting my tongue here, people.

20. I want what she's on because Kehlani getting a #1 is what I like to see.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.