Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell! | Page 316 | The Popjustice Forum

Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell!

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Mar 16, 2018.

1. The Hive's already commenced their dragging. The Barbz, Arianators and Azealia are not up yet... why why WHY did she Alison Roman herself like this...

thommyh, stuaw, gagapourgaga and 9 others like this.
  2. Fuck.

3. Scream. When Azealia hears about this? I’d be less worried about any fanbase.

thommyh, constantino, stuaw and 44 others like this.
  4. Lana doesn't apologize. If anything, she doubles down, from what we've seen. It's a bit messy.

Let's be real: She does have a bit of a victim mentality here. Norman was praised. I wonder why? I guess the new album might explain that. Something must have triggered her - I hope it's not the Ann Powers saga from last fall. I'm surprised she would use this vent to launch a new album, but I'm more intrigued than anything, because she didn't word any of that to dispel any drama, she sounds utterly furious dddd.

Calling out those girls by names was a controversial move, and she knows it. Ooof.

lushLuck, BricksAndStrings and tea like this.
  5. Everything positive I've ever said about her is redacted, rescinded, and revoked at this point.

I'm legitimately done, but I will stick around in this thread to correct the people who are blindly agreeing with this.

6. This would be a great argument, but that opening just makes the whole thing messy.

Beyoncé was slated from a lot of corners for the sexually explicit lyrics on self titled. And Nicki has always been heavily criticised for how she dresses in videos. And Anaconda also drew a lot of criticisms. These are only two examples off the top of my head of course.

But I just feel like drawing comparisons between herself and those artists mentioned is just a bit nonsense on her part. The argument could have been made without that.

Praise obviously doesn’t take away from the crappy side of things, but she ended 2019 topping a lot of Best Of lists, so her work definitely is looked at in completely the same way as it was when she first started out. Had she stuck to what she’d said when she originally released Born To Die, that she wouldn’t release another album, then that same discourse would exist. But as it stands she has been garnering mere and more praise with every release.

And it’s also a shame that she’s chosen to name so many black women. Black women who have fought and fought to take ownership of the way black bodies - especially black female bodies - are represented in the media.

As I say, this isn’t in anyway taking away from the bulk of what she is saying, but to frame it in the way she has is not it.

lushLuck, EricG1990 and Ethan Rams like this.
  7. I’m legitimately sorry if I said something offensive by mentioning Ari, I just meant to say I had a blindspot and didn’t even realize how that part could have been offensive until I saw the (completely justified) draggings.

Also it’s not your place to have to but please don’t bite your tongue if you think I said something f*cked up cuz I want to learn and be better in the future, I’d rather be dragged than be hurtful!

EricG1990 and Dennis like this.
  8. What an out of touch, spoiled, toy-throwing troll.

9. Regarding this subject and other matters involving black women, I want to remind people that speaking over black women's voices and questioning the outcry of a black woman can be perceived as an act of misogynoir in itself. When you see black women in an uproar, denying the validity of our point will not help matters. In fact, it only serves to contribute towards evidence about why black women remain so marginalized in the present day.

10. She has settled so comfortably into her role as "respected and acclaimed kooky, white American singer-songwriter lady" which presumably is what she always wanted so seeing her go after these black women is iffy. The dancing for money part is especially worrisome given that one (or more?) of them actually worked as strippers and Lana only ever depicts stripping in her work from a fantasy. It's getting weird.

Leis, thommyh, OspreyQueen and 18 others like this.
  11. Why she calling herself a "glamorous person" when she spent the last two album cycles in mom jeans and a top from New Look?

Leis, thommyh, constantino and 70 others like this.
  12. I can see what she's trying to say, but man oh man she went the wrong way about this.

BricksAndStrings likes this.
  13. Isn't everything a fantasy with her?

Her songs: Biker 70 y.o. outlaw sugardaddy raw me outside a 7/11

Reality: Cop

Leis, thommyh, constantino and 33 others like this.
  14. Rem

Rem

15. How is she gonna stigmatize sexuality in black women's music when she has literally fetishized the Lolita archetype and made a song with reference to Harvey Weinstein? And she's appropriated indigenous and Latina aesthetics to sexualize herself.

Everyday, I grow more embittered towards white feminist liberation nonsense. This is a prime example of not not feminism that lacks intersectionality.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Leis, thommyh, constantino and 35 others like this.
  16. It's just baffling how she's comparing black women regaining agency of their sexuality to being called out for problematic lyrics like "He hit me and it felt like a kiss". I mean, of course she's allowed to write the way she wants and romanticize troubled relationships, but women are allowed to call her out for it too. The entitlement, the victim complex.

17. “I’m just a glamorous person”.
    [​IMG]

thommyh, constantino, stuaw and 19 others like this.
  18. "I'm not not a feminist - but there has to be a place for women in feminism who look and act like me" - like Elizabeth sis, what does that even mean?

You'd think with all the reading / poetry she's got she might've glanced a nuance of what feminism actually is. She really should've left this in the drafts.

thommyh, tea, OlliMaus and 1 other person like this.
  19. I love Lana dearly but she is literally just a boring white woman with a vivid imagination. I can't with all this.

20. Bend further, Violet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.