Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell! | Page 327 | The Popjustice Forum

Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell!

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Rem

Rem

2. the memes have been great

thommyh, stuaw, Kuhleezi and 8 others like this.
  3. My favorite take:

4. Oh my fucking god.

thommyh, constantino, aniraz and 50 others like this.
  5. The fact that people are gliding past the concerns being voiced and deciding that "yeah but um, you can't deny her impact? Please respect that." is the point that needs to be made today is... something.

thommyh, junkos, stuaw and 20 others like this.
  6. God why do these white indie girls always end up being messy? I always like to stay out of discussions like this because I feel it's not my place, but that post was fucking yikes moment and a half, how can such a great lyricist be so dumb

Lapras likes this.

7. Skskskdnnfnwnsnc

leave FamousBirthdayonce.com out of this!

8. Homegirl really said "the culture" like she's apart of it.

I simply cannot!

thommyh, Mr.Arroz, lushLuck and 12 others like this.

9. I needed to hear this myself actually <3 peaceful meditative queen

thommyh, constantino, stuaw and 29 others like this.
  10. She's marginally talented and all but seeing as I never really stanned there's not much love lost here, although of course she would pull this shit after releasing Norman Fucking Rockwell which made me pay attention to her again. Her Grammy lewk was indeed foreshadowing the collapse.

11. And said "the culture" like she's not influenced by it.
    And said "the culture" like she's hasn't tried to infiltrate it.

I should have expected nothing less from a woman who has referred to herself as some variation of the "Gangsta Nancy Sinatra" or "Trailer Park Queen." Nor should have I expected a shred of self awareness from a white woman born as Elizabeth Woolridge Grant who changed her name to Lana Del Rey because she liked how exotic it sounded without giving a second thought to Latinx/Hispanic cultures when she did it.

Leis, thommyh, junkos and 38 others like this.
  12. It's been a traumatizing couple of years for non-white pop fans, huh?

Real talk, the angrier I am at a pop star (as evidenced by multiple posts and colorful words), it's because I actually recognize their talent and am deeply, deeply, DEEPLY hurt and disappointed when they show their asses.

thommyh, ohnostalgia, snoho and 21 others like this.
  13. Whew, the past couple years have really tried me as a pop fan. Me and @aux had been PMing back and forth about this thread, and I told him that it's doubly hard to be a WOC in cases like this because it's so hard to know what artist to place an inkling of trust in. I genuinely loved her work. "Venice Bitch" had been one of my most streamed songs ever, and I own two of her vinyls, so it feels like I'm being spat on when I've willingly supported her artistry.

I agree with the anger = disappointment remark. I am deeply disappointed that this whole situation transpired. It goes to show how she hasn't educated herself on anything. Not even PR training has saved her.

thommyh, constantino, junkos and 29 others like this.
  14. Oh of course it was.

mindtrappa, 2014 and superultra like this.
  15. ddd is she deleting comments off her Instagram now? I posted one critiquing her and about 5 min later it was gone.

16. This was literally the first thing I saw today. A disaster.

It's an incredibly bad take and shockingly poorly written for Writer Girl. Don't hold in a toe in the feminism pool if your going to bitch about the fact that progress didn't happen fast enough for you not to get some bad reviews on your first two albums.

Since she's feeling herself over the impact she's made, maybe she should have used it to have a voice in regards to these issues, instead of retroactively complaining about the impact it had on her - a
    glamorous white women whose recent album received the most support and recognition of her career.

I don't really think she was trying to drag the mentioned female artists. More of a "these women are currently at the top of the charts for pushing the boundaries on sexual expression, can I write about abusive old men again please?" type bullshit.

I think we've known for awhile that she had a lot of problematic opinions. It's very disappointing to see her lean into them more, especially when it seemed like she was making progress and had publicly denounced some of her most problematic songs/lyrics.

Looking forward to White Girls Forever on September 5th.

17. This is it. This is the tweet that floored me:

Leis, thommyh, RainOnFire and 49 others like this.
  18. I’m absolutely disgusted.

Other than Lorde and Azealia, Kathi was also always right about her.

Bye Karen Del Rey!

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Hunterpoop likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.