Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell! | Page 335 | The Popjustice Forum

Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell!

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Mar 16, 2018.

1. I'm confused at people being surprised Madonna liked that post...

2. Thank you for specifically mentioning this term. This is foundational to why Lana's post is so harmful. For me, it all traces back to a text I read during my junior year of university called "Mammy, Jezebel, Sapphire, and Their Homegirls" by Carolyn West. She talks about how, since times of slavery, black women have been looked down upon as promiscuous, archetypical Jezebels by white women who found envy in their slave-owning husbands displaying "lust" over their black female slaves' physiques. Black women have always been considered "tempting" by outsiders, and, as a result, have been perceived as a threat to white female sexuality. This notion spills over into the present day, as we can see it in the subtext of Lana's instagram post. Despite her acute denial of responsibility for her words because she deems herself "not racist," it's apparent that she implicitly views black women as competition because it is ingrained within her to perceive us as so.

Leis, thommyh, Robert and 70 others like this.
  3. dd right? Like, it would have been...incredibly random and still messy if she didn't name drop any one, but that just added an entire other layer to the post.

4. Besides her first paragraph being so unfortunately worded, I don’t see how it’s related to her point at all?

The unfair critique of Lana‘s work has always been from a place of critics not understanding how she shifts in and out of her whole 50s damsel character. How is it similar from the other women talking about being sexy and cheated on, which has been a subject in pop music since... forever?

I’d say the issue isn’t so much that women aren’t allowed to be vulnerable. It’s an issue with how critics can’t view them as capable of creating concept albums. Men can create out of this world characters and personas in their music, but when women do it, it always has to be brought back to their personal views and their personal life. Who is this song about? Is this really how she views the world? Is she shoving this worldview down our throats?

A familiar commentary is “Wow, Popstar A is playing a character,” writes critic, criticizing album’s authenticity. Yeah, so? How does that take away from her work?

Art can be both fictional and autobiographical, which doesn’t sacrifice its artistic value. And women are capable of creating authentic work outside of the latter. Doing so just limits their capacity as storytellers.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  5. Agree. Furthermore, Lana's use of "delicate" "submissive" and "passive" further illustrates how Black/Latinx women are automatically seen as aggressors and denied femininity.

Leis, thommyh, RainOnFire and 39 others like this.
  6. That's another tremendously important point! We're implied to be aggressive, but Lana's alabaster ass gets to define herself as being "delicate" and dainty.

7. Imagine listening to "Lemonade" where your peer admits that her philandering husband has caused two miscarriages and think "not delicate". Lana can because she doesn't inherently see Beyonce (or her art) as vulnerable.

Her statements should be studied in race, PR and media literacy classes because it's so coded. Scary thing is that I don't doubt it's subconscious which makes it even more insidious.

Xenu fix it.

8. Yeah that was a dogwhistle in her (second? third?) double down that really stuck out to me, many of the women on that list are most definitely dainty, just not lily-white and dainty. The dissonance in typing that is truly remarkable.

Island, Sam, tea and 8 others like this.
  9. Another one that made me scream

Eel_Ssab, Island, Dijah. and 9 others like this.
  10. Today’s lesson in ‘be careful what you wish for’.

Leis, Robert, constantino and 57 others like this.
  11. I love... Kylie Minogue?

12. I'm a white woman (I'm almost ashamed to admit it) and it's amazing what you can learn when you shut the fuck up and let other women speak, especially when those women are of color, and especially when those women are black women living in a country that objectifies and disrespects them every single day. She doesn't know shit about any of those women's experiences and she has no right to try and compare her criticisms with the downright hateful and malignant abuse said women experience daily. I'm not trying to downplay the trauma she obviously suffered from the criticisms she received for years, but her doubling down on her shitty take just further proves that not only does she not understand why what she said is irresponsible, but she doesn't even care.

People weren't criticizing her based on a deep rooted and taught bias that stems from the color of her skin and her culture. She can sing about her old man daddy kink all she wants and she really could've made an interesting point without using a single person's name other than her own.

13. Wow why are you mad girl, that's heavy. What a weird move to announce an album and a half.

What Merna doing something like that to announce her next single and praise coronavirus for a new world free of humans

14. So let’s recap... the list of white women whose vinyl i’m putting up on Discogs tomorrow: Lana, Robyn, Madonna, Christine, Grimes, Maggie Rogers, Jessie Ware. Let me know if i’m missing anyone.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    lushLuck and Vasilios like this.
  15. Megan Fox posting this just to delete it seconds later... put it back sis.
    4B5FAFF4-AC86-43B9-A124-94F6D1C64944.jpeg

16. Dua's dad liked it, too.

17. Oh no. Hopefully she’ll unlike it quickly.

18. Megan Fox of all white women having the best take on this situation was not something I expected.

Maybe she deleted it because she didn’t want to get harassed by Lana stans.

thommyh, Jacques, Island and 12 others like this.
  19. RJF

RJF

Not MUM.

Leis, Jacques, tea and 11 others like this.

20. These two tweets put together... *nervous laughter*

Leis, askew, thommyh and 44 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.