Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell! | Page 341 | The Popjustice Forum

Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell!

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Mar 16, 2018.

1. I unfollowed her. It’s enough for me.
    I’m over this bullshit and this clown.

thommyh and chanex like this.
  2. Fruit bat...cuter than a button, muttonhead maniac.

djmakemewet likes this.
  3. I'm guessing she feels like she got unfair backlash for certain specific things in her career that she hasn't seen other artists get the same flack for. Which I mean, fair enough. But the artists in particular she named, she fails to understand....have had it way harder in other areas she wouldn't ever have to worry about.

flowersandu and Really Cool like this.
  4. She literally used the term “race war” unironically. Is she actually THAT stupid?

5. Jesus Christ

6. The lack of ability to recognize any perspectives outside of her own privileged experiences is almost shocking. She sees the other girls snatching #1s and just assumes they’ve never had to deal with the sort of critical pushback that she received when she first came out, when the truth is most of them have had to deal with just as much (if not more) shit like that AND fucking racism on top of it. She seems to think that the reason she isn’t more commercially successful is people’s criticism of her persona and certain lyrics on her first two albums when that has almost nothing to do with it. Didn’t she give an interview last fall where she joked about her managers hating her because she said she was putting out a 9 minute lead single? Maybe don’t do that if you’re so worried about #1s all of a sudden. And maybe listen when people then try to explain how your initial post hurt them.

She’s lost the plot entirely and this implosion is actually really sad to witness. I only just fully hopped on board with Norman Fucking Rockwell! so it isn’t even that big a loss for me personally but I feel bad for her long term fans (specifically fans of color, not the white thinks who are currently defending her to the bone all over the internet) who have to watch her sling around terms like ‘race war’ and insinuate that they can’t read. An unmitigated disaster.

Leis, LPT, thommyh and 41 others like this.
  7. RMK

RMK

I think she was coming from a place of feeling like she was criticized for her lyricism by other people in her respective genre and pop culture when first starting out, and if I'm recalling correctly she was. Born To Die was panned by critics and she also got this bad reputation. Though I feel like it becoming one of the longest charting albums, inspiring tons of upcoming artists, and her having reached a new critical high in the past year makes up for a lot of this, it's okay to feel a bit annoyed by some blowback if you really hold onto it. That's her grudge to have. Maybe that wasn't it, but it felt like this?

It seemed to me upon first read this was her initial bare bones point, but she dressed it up in this bitter attitude with awful comparisons that don't at all make sense next to her. It's clear she lacks that sort of perspective, and her overall attitude to just lacks of understanding any other view. She's dug a hole.

Euphoria and Smooth Criminal like this.
  8. It's baffling that she has this kind of thought process when her goodwill and critical acclaim has been at its peak since NFR. She really thought she was getting something out of this.

Sam likes this.
  9. I’ve been her fan since Born To Die era so it really hurts to see she’s probably a All Lives Matter white person ugh.

thommyh, Tabris, Sam and 15 others like this.
  10. ALL of her albums have gone Top3 in the US & the UK, so I honestly can’t comprehend a word of what she’s saying. The struggle of being so successful your entire career as a white woman who feels fragile? Poor the white woman whose albums have all gone gold or platinum but still feels like she isn’t afforded the freedoms of less successful women of color?

The caucasian worms of it all.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Leis, LPT, thommyh and 34 others like this.
  11. It’s late as fuck, and I only found out about this a couple of hours ago. So just wanna weigh in, and say that she was an absolute idiot for posting that. And even more so for even having those thoughts to begin with.

I’m glad she’s getting the draggings she deserves. She let down not only herself, but her fans, and all the WOC that looked up to her.

I’ve been a fan of her for years, and this has been so disappointing on a personal level too.

thommyh likes this.
  12. So she’s stupid stupid. Okay.

thommyh, Rhombus, Sam and 5 others like this.
  13. "Lying about coming from no money when that was the truth". I'd be curious what she considers "no money" because even if her father isn't a mega millionaire, the Grants are at least upper class. I mean when your wedding announcement is in the New York Times you aren't Gina working at the diner all day. That doesn't mean her father had anything to do with her success - obviously he couldn't make Video Games a hit.

Not part of the bigger issue here, obviously. But I thought that was kind of an eye roll.

14. I would argue that it still matters, to be honest. If anything, it shows that the women she name-dropped in the initial typewriter message had more to overcome race-wise, gender-wise, and socioeconomic-wise. Cardi, Nicki, and Kehlani definitely came from trying financial circumstances—especially Kehlani because, if I'm not mistaken, she experienced homelessness at some point. These examples further disintegrate Lana's already-flimsy argument.

15. Ari releasing a Gaga collab and privately fighting with Lana on the same damn day....it's hard to see other people living your dreams

16. I am so fucking disappointed. Wow. Some of you all said it is expected from her but i genuinely did not think she would be this delusional. Just stop posting and reflect on what people said, girl.

17. That “ever ever ever bro” response on the first post was the worst part to me, until the “race war” in the second one. I am flabbergasted and horrified. And sad tbh...I can’t do the mental gymnastics required to give her a pass anymore.

thommyh and KidAbelha like this.
  18. She might just be the whitest white woman to ever white woman. The worst part in all of this is that she refuses to shut the hell up.

Stanning white people was a mistake. I should’ve known.

19. [​IMG]

thommyh, lushLuck and slaybellz like this.
  20. They hoping for that tour (LOL!!) support slot!

Rhombus and Petty Mayonnaise like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.