Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell! | Page 342 | The Popjustice Forum

Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell!

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Karen Del Rey.

2. The fact that she has not only doubled down, but has added that the thing that makes her different is being more "soft" and "delicate"...

Also, her first post mentioned standing up for women who say no but people still hear yes. Her second post, she says that people who she "complimented" are wrong and she regrets nothing. Like bro, you literally said yourself you can't decide how others feel.

3. The sad thing about her initial post for me is that if she'd just removed the names from the first paragraph then we could be having a genuine debate about the hypocrisy and sexism in the music industry that touches all women. There should be solidarity there, particularly with ethnic minority artists because it's doubly hard for them.

Instead she just comes across as ignorant and someone who lives in a bubble.

hologram likes this.
  4. This is not what people are saying though. She cannot even see how what she wrote was bad and people keep calling her out on her perceived intentions instead. If the response was more "fuck your intentions, you reaffirm racism in people's minds and target specific individuals either way with that piece of shit of a word salad, take it down now" and less "why come for them?!?!11!" it could have maybe, possibly, hopefully been easier for her to get the criticism.

This doesn't absolve her of anything though, no one owed her that explanation when her text is right there. She did and keeps doing all this to herself, and it is honestly so deeply unsettling for me to witness. It has been the equivalent of somebody telling you "don't play with the knives, you might get cut" and you proceeding to cutting your limbs off, like, who does that.

Also, doesn't Instagram have rules for reporting harmful content? How are her initial post and her latest post still up?

johnoclock likes this.
  5. Ugh there’s just no coming back from this in my eyes. She’ll still be successful and have her fans because whiteness works that way but she’s lost me as a fan.

6. Like, even on a completely cynical level, doesn't she have a label? A management team? Can't someone put an end to this bizarre career immolation?

Although I understand that even if she doesn't say them outloud, her thoughts remain problematic and that's no good.

Chris_P and lushLuck like this.
  7. I’ll pray for you Lana- you and that disgusting mouth of yours. God bless.

8. They probably share the same views and see nothing wrong.

thommyh, nooniebao, tea and 11 others like this.
  9. I also just... don't get how she's salty about not having a #1 song when she's a very successful album artist and albums are a metric of continued success more than singles are. Almost all the singles post- Born To Die sounded like she couldn't care less about the charts (excluding Don't Call Me Angel and Lust For Life) so what was she expecting?

10. One of the life lessons I've learnt is to never trust anyone who begins a sentence with some iteration of 'final words / all I have to say is' because it signposts they're not actually listening to what you're saying and aren't going to change their mind for anything... sad Lana had to give credence to that.

The fact she hasn't even considered to maybe listen to any of the people criticising what she initially said and just lumped everyone as a 'hater' and actively ridiculing their points is just fucking sad, not to mention the continual use of "delicate" feels coded and makes my skin crawl.

11. BTG

BTG

The idea of delicacy and fragility is definitely coded and provocative language. She’s not saying there’s space for women to be strong but also sexually liberated and vulnerable, she’s saying “let me write about my 50s damsel persona who loves her abusive lover in peace”, so just say it like it is.

12. Her point has no basis at all, as her world view and take on womanhood is regressive that is why feminists justifiably called her out for glamorising violence.

However there is a double standard in how society perceives men and women when it comes to sexual liberties and also the double standard of how society perceives sexual liberation between WoC and White Women.

13. I kinda get the feeling this is just her way of doing promo and getting people to talk about her...
    it's been the same with the Gallaghers, Robbie Williams etc always some silly claim out of the blue and totally nonsensical just to be controversial and get people to talk about you.
    It's always better that people talk about you even if it's negative.

BrokenHearts, Euphoria and bazayer like this.
  14. I don’t think she gives a fuck about the charts honestly. I think it’s more about these women are at the top of the charts so she somehow equates that to... everyone must love them, they must not get any criticism at all etc. It’s so dumb.

15. Chuck did you find your camera?

Lapras likes this.
  16. Seriously, it really stings to see some my followers liking her foolish posts and questioning their morality.

Sink them all.

[​IMG]

17. Is that Lana's dad

thommyh, lushLuck, nikkysan and 5 others like this.
  18. The fact that some of you have openly liked her posts, still...

19. Lana spelled backwards is anal that's why she can't stop talking all this shit

[​IMG]

EricG1990, thommyh, Alenko and 8 others like this.
  20. What a dumb comment. Yes, let's excuse her harmful behaviour because at least it's getting her headlines. It's not like she was getting any attention last year when she released that critically acclaimed, commercially successful, Grammy nominated album or anything like that.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.