Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell! | Page 343 | The Popjustice Forum

Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell!

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Mar 16, 2018.

1. But, like.. what's she promoting here? The album was last year and therefore feels like a decade ago, she can barely muster the energy to put on her Uggs and hop in an uber to do live shows, her poetry pamphlet is something only her worst stans will care about, and she had the entire music press eating out of her hand last summer as one of the greatest songwriters of her generation.

She doesn't need to be generating promo, and it's absolutely not in a knowing or occasionally funny way like the Gallaghers do it. She's simply showing her ass.

2. This is all like if Debbie Gibson had a 'but I was teen queen FIRST' meltdown when Britney first smashed just 7 trillion times worse. With race, misogyny, privilege, tone-deafness, classism and elitism added and multiplied by ten billion.

thommyh, Wishlight, Sam and 6 others like this.
  3. Seriously. Has anyone else so proactively sought to destroy their own career and reputation out of absolutely nowhere, and at a time when they've never been more critically acclaimed and adored by the public? I'm struggling to think of another example.

thommyh, Wishlight, Milotic and 3 others like this.
  4. RJF

RJF

Hmm, really? I've been at almost every point in the stan spectrum with Lana over the years, but one of her glaring, constant weaknesses by far is how it's fairly clear to me that she's always been a "I'm an old soul and was born in the wrong decade. Weren't the 70s rad?" kind of truther, and that's trickled down into everything about her. The Old Hollywood aesthetic, the lyrics, the musical influences, the tragic romance of covering the shiner your adoring husband just gave you with some make up from your vanity table before going to pull a meatloaf out of the oven, and golly gosh, isn't everything so complicated these days? Why is everyone so angry? Let's forget our troubles with a big bowl of strawberry ice cream.

She doesn't really interact with the modern world all that well. Railing against Trump doesn't count; that's something so basic and kneejerk that I would just assume even if she didn't voice it. The rest of this mess? I'm massively disappointed, but the trail towards it is there.

5. [​IMG]

Who knew she was actually reaching out, while standing on a sinking ship of shitty 'opinions'? Sadly, she'll need a bigger boat to take all those who don't find her recent posts problematic with her. Poor Duke Nicholson though.

It's such a shame. You want one of your favourite artists and lyricists to be better than that. Those name droppings, 'bro', the 'race wars',... Inexcusable mess. Even if there was a good point somewhere in her original post, she expressed herself far better on NFR songs like 'Marina's Appartment Complex'. Ironically, the one album for which her lyrics got so much acclaim. There was no need for this. Do/think better, Lana.

Sprockrooster and lushLuck like this.
  6. Unfortunately for me, as somehow who absolutely adores her music... she’s exposed herself as a highly self-absorbed, privileged, immature white woman.

Sure cancel culture is a thing and the hate train is a thing, but her refusal to understand and simply reduce those valid issues that a lot of POC have online to hyper-liberals or trump/pence supporters tells me so much about her.

7. You’re absolutely right. I guess what I’m trying to say is I always thought her more self aware. Even when she was mid swing at the peak of her Traditional Girl shit it felt that the cynicism of the modern world around her was laced with at least somewhat a dose of sarcasm. It was like she was in on the joke even if it was (and obviously still is) her conviction. There was some element of knowing there. I know she’s always been stubborn to a fault but this has gone past that into pure idiocy.

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 12:31 PM
    Sleepycat likes this.
  8. We probably should've predicted something like this would eventually happen after the whole "I wish I was dead already" saga and then she released a song about it nearly half a decade later. Sis is stubborn.

Wishlight, Verandi and allyshone like this.
  9. This point was mentioned somewhere in the thread these last few days, but the way she glamorizes certain American eras always felt off to me. I expected it to remain an aesthetic choice, not something that finds its way into her troubling and antiquated views, even if it doesn't come off as a surprise. She's terribly out of touch, and I don't see how she can come back from this entire mess credibility wise.

10. What does she even want? She got her critical re-evaluation, she got her full circle moment with critics, she got the acclaim and the accolades.

The sheer delusion of believing she’s entitled to the success and acclaim of other women (particularly of colour) is just yikes but even more ridiculous when she’s already getting it in a way plenty of others aren’t

11. Hi guys. Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Serious question, but do you guys think that - now that Lana Del Rey has basically destroyed her own career through her petty behaviour and inability to shut up - it might be time for Louise Redknapp to shine? Sounds crazy, maybe, but she has exactly the kind of fun and bubbly, yet sophisticated, mood that Lana pretends to have, and with contemporary and vibey new songs like 'Stretch' and 'Small Talk' it seems like now could be the right time for her to finally cross over into the US market? Not to mention the Initial Talk remix of 'Stretch' which is a lock for heavy rotation in the clubs, and could have major appeal for the LGBTQA+ market.

It just seems to me that Louise has been poised for a global crossover for some time and, now that she has the material, Lana's loss might just be her gain?! Don't mean to be pitting women against each other or anything, but at the end of the day, pop is a business, so...

RUNAWAY, LP, thommyh and 73 others like this.
  12. [​IMG]

gagapourgaga, Leis, LP and 55 others like this.
  13. To write about being in love with her abuser without being criticized for it/to enjoy the critical success that she has now while writing about being in love with her abuser.

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 1:10 PM
  14. Was thinking about Ariana this morning and I can't help but feel a bit sorry for her? Like.. sis was really out here promoting female solidarity and sisterhood championing Lana, promoting her music on social media and in general just saying a lot of pleasant things about her in interviews. You could genuinely tell she was a real fan. Then imagine waking up to find that not only has she thrown you under the bus but she's completely rubbished your entire discography and belittled your music down to "cheating and fucking." There's an extra layer of hmm here when you consider the impact the last few years have had on Ariana (Manchester, the death of Mac) and how she's channeled that into her music.

Of course this is something she did to all the women mentioned but seeing that Ariana had reached out privately to solve / debate this, only to have Karen Del Racist throw her toys out the pram got me thinking. Glad she unfollowed her though.

Leis, askew, AmericanMoney and 48 others like this.
  15. Covid19 is that you

thommyh, Wishlight, tea and 11 others like this.
  16. No.

17. Yeah if anything I was relieved by how long it’d been since she’s said something dense. It seemed to me like the Lust For Life era was when she was starting to get with the picture, or at least know better than to say something stupid.

18. Jamie Fucking Redknapp!

thommyh, Wishlight, _hazzie_ and 2 others like this.
  19. I can’t believe she said that she was making “personal reparations just for the joy of doing it”. As though reparations is just like, a fun hobby that one should take up when bored in quarantine.

On a personal level, I was mildly devastated to see that Ms. Jessica Ware had liked the latest missive from Planet Dumb.

Wishlight, Sam, BeingNormal and 10 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.