Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell! | Page 344 | The Popjustice Forum

Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell!

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Fuck, noooooo

2. There is something so telling and disgusting that all of her fans flock to her defense by basically saying a bunch of people of color lack reading comprehension.

3. As someone who really hasn’t followed her music since the first album, has her lyrical content evolved all that much? I get the sense she’s looking for some sort of critical revision of her earlier work, but I wasn’t aware she had made such drastic changes that led to her recent acclaim.

thommyh, Wishlight, iRyan and 3 others like this.
  4. Actually, Lana was one of the few artists who showed true growth while using repeated metaphors and motifs. It's one of her gifts and (for me) separates her from Taylor (and her castles) and Florence (and the water).

5. Yeah, Norman Fucking Rockwell! truly felt like such a full circle moment in that she went back to a sound that predates her major label debut. Lust for Life was a step in the right direction, but Norman is the first time her music showed true, tangible growth while still existing in the same ~universe. Like, that "party dress" lyric felt earned! She'd finally found a way to reconcile her romanticized affinity for midcentury American aesthetics and 60s/70s counterculture with what it actually means to live in modern America without any weird anti-feminist statements.

I can't say I'm not extremely disappointed, because I have such history with her music. The way she reeled me in, the last hurrah of my truly die-hard stanning years... Even when I was kind of checked out, that level of impact lingers. She had me out here in a fucking American flag tank top like the rest of those white twinks, when I've NEVER been that girl! I've ALWAYS hated unnecessary displays of patriotism! *Ariana voice* I hate Americans

But at the same time, the fact that she did have that full circle moment makes it... kind of easy to feel comfortable moving on from Lana if this is how things are gonna be? Like my standom had a sense of closure. I'd been ragging on her for Hillsong, but now I'm like OHHH, you ARE a weird white Boomer lady who doesn't think she's racist because she used to be a hippy and fetishizes black culture/men.

I shan't get started on the "super trump/pence supporter" and "hyper liberals" part of her post when liberals' brand of racism is much in the same vein as Lana's, but she probably just has a lack of understanding (shock!) about who/what a liberal actually is.

6. Exactly this (except I wasn’t exactly a stan even if I’ve enjoyed every single one of her albums).

7. Great point. Everything after this is epilogue.

When she released "Looking for America", I was like "Ok, Ms. Grant has touched down in 2019" but she started dating that cop and now this.

Nothing gold can stay.

8. I've been a fan since I first heard Video Games in late 2011 while volunteering at my campus radio station. It's surreal to think that her music has been a part of my life for nearly a decade - Born To Die and Paradise were pretty instrumental in helping me nurse my wounds and recover from my first breakup and seriously grappling with my own mental health for the first time. Her work's gotten me through some shit, and while obviously I don't know her personally, at the risk of sounding dramatic, this is one of those moments with someone whose work you've admired where it makes you go, "I thought I knew you better than that". For someone so skilled as a songwriter and seemingly capable of actual self-awareness and, especially in the last couple of years, fairly nuanced introspection through said songwriting, it's just beyond jarring to see none of that in any of those posts and how she's handled the fallout from them.

This just...sucks. It feels like a friend let me down - and my heart especially goes out to her Black/Latinx fans. I can't even begin to imagine how much of a slap in the face this must be.

9. The statement is just so weird to me because central to Norman Fucking Rockwell seemed to be her giving herself agency, she is finally the protagonist on her own album. Why she seems hellbent on regressing is beyond me.

Wishlight, nooniebao, Sam and 18 others like this.
  10. Well she really became the instagram baddie she craved huh?

theincredibleflipper likes this.
  11. I guess we’ll have to wait & see.gif what all this means when she drops her new music. It’d definitely be odd for her to totally regress. As most of you have said, she’s much better at getting a point across through music than social media. Dddddd.

LP and Hunter like this.
  12. Not a couple of PJers liking that Insta post after visiting this thread sksksksks yas #rebels so edgy!

13. Probably the same people who are feverishly preordering any Kim Petras vinyl.

Gabeee9292 likes this.
  14. I would still possess an ounce of respect for her if she took responsibility for what she said and understood why others reacted negatively to it. If she had acknowledged how she wanted to make her point so badly that she ignored the underlying subtext of it, then proceeded to apologize for it, I would at least respect her ability to make amends.

The fact that she's beyond doubling-down on her point is the worst part of it all. She keeps repeatedly defending this idea, using more phrases that echo sentiments of misogynoir, and making it even clearer that she does not stand for modern feminism.

15. The amount of people I know/follow who've like the original and the doubling down post... Muffy sis, the secondhand embarrassment.

16. Love her music. Saw her last tour live in September.
    Don't quite care for HER after this... choice.

17. Why is this formatting making me holler

Wishlight, Sam, Meathook and 3 others like this.
  18. As I was typing it, all I had was that "Cinderella Story" moment; 'love her dress, hate her.' in my head.

Unintentional, but.... appropriate.

OlliMaus likes this.
  19. Name names, lets get messy.

20. She needs to call her previous album Norman Fucking Glockwell instead, because she shot herself in the foot with this.

Wishlight, Truce, Sam and 22 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.