Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell! | Page 356 | The Popjustice Forum

Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell!

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Mar 16, 2018.

1. That’s one hell of a generalisation. Not all white women are saying what she’s saying. Come on now.

LMX likes this.
  2. The comments section on her latest posts are horrible. She must be deleting the critical ones when they become more popular and leaves the fawningly complimentary ones. And then the challenging ones that do remain have comments under them about “reading comprehension” and “race wars.” She made her fandom so toxic!

Even if she were to snap out of it and listen and learn, is there any coming back from this when you’re silencing everyone, even fans of yours, who are less than blindly supportive? The irony of her being so “fragile and delicate” that she can’t tolerate any contrary opinions.

Also bringing up FKA Twigs at this point seems deliberately provocative...why?!?

Future Lover likes this.
  3. Sam

Sam

sis this isn't the time or the place

Raichu, FINISH LINE, Sail On and 52 others like this.
  4. Did she really try to draw a parallel with FKA Twigs

Tahliah sweetie I’m SO sorry

5. Wow, going from having Norman Rockwell's critical acclaim to this all in the span of less than a year is, well.
    Quite a turnover rate.

6. Exhibit B

nooniebao, FINISH LINE, LTG and 15 others like this.
  7. If she didn’t want to be called out for her tone deafness and expose her bitterness then she shouldn’t have brought other women into this situation to begin with. The fact she’s continuing to give zero fucks regarding those she’s hurt and offended is just disappointing to witness. I’m ashamed to have held her with such high regard in terms of her music.

stuaw, Lapras, 138Prince and 5 others like this.
  8. She choked her dog for a full minute until it literally yelped out for her to stop... I -

9. Sam

Sam

Like .......... she literally cared more about calling the police with FALSE allegations about a black man, than her dog choking?????? I can't

10. Very that. I also feel like the conversations re: abuse in her work have been very measured throughout her career. We've even (maturely) discussed it here.

11. Thank you for giving Tahliah Debrett Barnett her viral moment Lana

12. People wouldn't make generalizations if white women didn't constantly say shit like Lana is.

dirtypony, OspreyQueen, LTG and 20 others like this.
  13. White women's victim complex is unmatched...And I actually yelped when she said her next album was called "chem trails over the country club". Okay so she's like gone gone...

14. I know it's not the time for a joke at all but the way this could be accurate in this timeline of events....

15. Same. I deadass cackled. Like, what in the gentrification is going on?

16. I was wondering why none of her "peers" seemed to be trying to get some sense into her but maybe they do be doing that behind the scenes ddd.

I wish someone was brave enough to write her an open letter reading her for filth.

17. I have always been a fan and I have been thinking about how to put my thoughts in order about what has happened.....

I think she is about to have or is smack in the middle of a nervous breakdown. My gut feeling (and I know many people on here will not agree) is that she is not inherently racist (please don’t bite my head off) but that she is inherently narcissistic to a severe degree. She could indeed be both but she is the latter without a doubt. The post is completely and utterly stupid. For someone who can write lyrics so eloquently in her songs she is currently hopeless at expressing her thoughts and state of mind clearly. I’m not even sure what she is trying to say, she definitely isn’t sure.

What’s all this reference to being delicate and fragile? She sings about being fucked so good and her cola pussy, what’s delicate and fragile about that? The expression is as explicit as I have heard in mainstream popular music. I don’t have a problem with it, I just don’t get how any of the other women she references are supposedly as explicit or more explicit than her. Is that what she is trying to say? Is she envious of their success (even though she has sold millions of albums as well as copious critical acclaim so recently?)

My jaw dropped when she mentioned Twigs in the later post. Is she jealous of her? I think she is feeling very wronged and hard done by. Someone mentioned the earlier difficulties she had in her career, maybe she has been unable to move on from them in real terms and the insecurity is always there lurking (NFR wasn’t a big seller was it despite the critical success?and cancelled tours don’t help?)

Success not making someone happy is the oldest story in show business, maybe the acclaim has gone to her head and has driven her off the edge? I am not defending her either, she is an adult and can make good and bad decisions and I think/hope she will regret the last few days in time.

If I was her manager I would be advising her to apologise for what she has caused by her stupidity, arrogance and what looks like narcissism but even then I am not sure I would believe her.

I think all true narcissists end up alone eventually not because they are in love with themselves but because no one can bear to be around them. She is so self absorbed it’s unnerving to watch.

She is so wrapped up in an image of herself as some beautiful misunderstood traumatised ‘I am ready for my close-up’ figure that I am not really convinced that she even notices what colour someone else is. Saying glibly that she wishes she mentioned someone 100% caucasian could bear this out (or not of course)

Anyway like Lana I have rambled too long, I just wanted to say something instead of viewing from the sidelines.

Just to finish I want to make it clear I am going by my gut instinct based on nothing properly tangible about a person I do not know (which in itself is a little odd)

SunshineConcubine likes this.
  18. We really don’t need a “not all white women” counterargument atm.

19. Lana sis just PLEASE

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.