LANY - mama's boy (3rd Album) | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

LANY - mama's boy (3rd Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by IDontKnowHer, Jul 2, 2016.

1. New single good guys out everywhere this Wednesday:

2014, phily693, Diet Pop! and 2 others like this.
  2. Thankful it’s not country ddd
    Cute little single.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    stoicist, hologram, phily693 and 2 others like this.
  3. Can we change the thread title?

4. It’s nice enough, but far from their best.

Enrique Garcia likes this.
  5. Thank god it's not country.
    It's great! Love that they continue to work with King Henry and Sasha Sloan. Tyler Johnson definitely brought the acoustic elements, but I feel they're integrated beautifully.

nooniebao and Enrique Garcia like this.
  6. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I like it but it's time they become a bit less sappy no?

7. But sappy and kinda corny has sorta been their schtick for years, no? And I say that as someone who’s enjoyed most of the music.

2014, enricll and lushLuck like this.
  8. To be honest, yes... And I love 99% of their discography (that 1% being 'The Parents').

If we're comparing lead singles, 'good guys' isn't as good as "thru these tears". It doesn't sound as epic or different enough from their previous output to be from a new era. But it's a solid second single. Can't help but think the verses are very One Direction every time I hear it.

I have no doubt the album will be good, though. I think switching Mike Crossey for Tyler Johnson is a smart move. Crossey's sound has been quite ubiquitous in the last few years and Johnson (Harry Styles, Taylor Swift) can bring the Nashville sound with more organic instrumentation. As a fun fact, apparently Tyler Johnson played guitar in 'thru these tears' and Crossey mixed 'good guys'.

nooniebao likes this.
  9. 2014

2014 Staff Member

That’s true and I’ve really enjoyed all their output (especially their last album). Hopefully there’s more variety on this new record.

lushLuck and nooniebao like this.
  10. Are they The 1975 with less budget.

11. Yes, and with a better lead singer & a hotter drummer...and a side dose of Jesus.

12. Yeah I enjoy their music, but I do tend to get the urge to slap Paul when he whines about his relationship woes for the millionth time, or how they've moved on and he hasn't.

Can't fault their merch though, except for having a fucking cassette and no vinyl up for preorder.

Enrique Garcia likes this.
  13. New single out July 1st:

aux, Diet Pop! and lushLuck like this.
  14. 2014

2014 Staff Member

This is really sweet, isn't it? His voice is so good.

lushLuck likes this.
  15. They've never been the most...thrilling band, but their music is just straight up boring now.

Conan and aux like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.