Lars and the Real Girl | The Popjustice Forum

Lars and the Real Girl

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by type:epyt, Feb 18, 2009.

1. anyone else seen this ... it is beyond brilliant ... i don't thnk it's that new as it was in teh 'keep for a week' section of blockbusters but here's a trailer for those who haven't seen it ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1XxILVnt1w

2. It was released at the beginning of 2008. Isn't it wonderful? I have to admit I saw it after just reading a quick summary of it ("A young man starts a relationship and falls in love with a lifesize doll...") and thought it was going to be a quirky feel-good comedy. I wasn't ready for the sadness.

It is brilliant though but I still can't agree with people on what actually happens at the end. I won't say it because it'll spoil it for anybody who hasn't seen it but it's quite ambiguous, don't you think?

3. As far as i could make out jealousy seemed to be his motivating factor ... but i can't go into it much more without giving the game away ...

4. Dag

Dag

I loved it! I don't remember exactly what happened at the end though, so I might have to rewatch it soon.

I just love how weird the concept is, and how brilliant they were able to pull it off.

5. Fantastic movie, Ryan Gosling was definitely snubbed at the Oscars that year. The woman who wrote it also wrote for "Six Feet Under" and you could definitely feel that same sensibility in the film. Lars is such a complicated character... I spent the whole movie wanting to give him a hug.... but we know he's not a fan of the human touch!

6. I kept thinking we should run away together.

"I could change him!" I thought to myself.

Then remembered it was a film.

7. Brilliant, brilliant film. I never really got why people were going nuts for Ryan Gosling's acting until I saw it, but he was amazing. I don't know if I really swallowed the idea that the whole town would so heartily embrace...what was she called, Lisa? Was that it?...certainly not to the extent that they do, but it's such a nice movie you kind of give in to it.

Don't want to give away the ending by discussing either, but my take is Lars was finally ready to go through with certain things, and it was his decision to make when.

8. See, i think he was MADE to go through with things when his plans backfired ... he seemed to put himself into situations to draw sympathy and eventually had to up the ante so much that eventually those around him just adapted to even the strangest of situations he had created ...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.