Laura Mvula - 4th Album | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

Laura Mvula - 4th Album

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Cognitive Dissonance, Dec 6, 2012.

1. This album is just so unbelievably lush. Like, that's just the only word that comes to mind. Everything about it just feels so rich and layered. Definitely one of my favorites this year so far.

2. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

This album is breathtaking. It was everything I needed yesterday when I was in a terrible place. She has an amazing way of saying so much in so little words. It genuinely made me sad when it was over because it felt like it could use more but at the same time I don't even know if more would've made for as much of a compelling piece.

One of the best albums this year, for sure.

3. RJF

RJF

I've seen this album pop up in my life several times recently and finally decided to actually listen to it, and I'm very pleased. What a wonderfully technicolour record. Her voice is almost kaleidoscopic.

4. In case y'all weren't aware it looks like they snuck out a "Special Edition" of The Dreaming Room this week with a new cover which bolts on Ready or Not, her contributions to the Brotherhood and The Man From U.N.C.L.E. soundtracks, her feature from Robert Glasper's album and two covers performed live at the BBC (Coldplay's Magic and Tame Impala via Rihanna's Same Ol' Mistakes). Just in time for Christmas right?

[​IMG]

5. Her Ready Or Not cover is getting a lot of hate, but I really like it.

6. If by "snuck out" you mean re-released off the back of a TV advertising campaign, with several mail outs to her mailing list about it, press adverts, a live tour and frequent posts on her social media accounts all this month, then yes! It's a much better sleeve (the original was a bit off-putting I assume, it was pretty gothic and cold) and better value for money than the original release. If anyone recalls, there was a deluxe edition available to pre-order for a while ahead of the original album release, which I ordered, but it became the standard, and only version, so it seems this re-release was planned months back and they held back to capitalise on the additional exposure.

7. A nice and fun bonus to a pretty impeccable album, and y***s w*rk at that video.

Hitchcock and NecessaryVoodoo like this.
  8. Whenever I listen to Show Me Love, I get swept up in the lush emotionality of it all over again, and I'm convinced it's the most beautiful thing ever written.

9. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

First time listener.

This is insanely great.

beyoncésweave and LE0Night like this.
  10. Sony dropped her this week.

11. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Eh??? That's......horrendous, if true.

LE0Night likes this.

12. It is, sadly.

strangekin likes this.
  13. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Frankly ridiculous.

14. I think she'd be much better on an Indie anyway, less commercial pressure whilst still keeping artistic freedom.

15. Guest member

Guest member Guest

Majors have no long-term vision for the artists they sign anymore. It's just so very sad.

16. The album feels it had a hefty creation budget though, drafting in the London Symphony Orchestra couldn't have been cheap. I hope she has the contacts/resources to still create such lush soundscapes though in the future, probably on a tighter budget.

17. RJF

RJF

She's a talent regardless, but what a shame.

strangekin and 2014 like this.
  18. Wow, that's cold. Her releasing a cover and essentially agreeing to making a commercial jingle must've been some sort of compromise on her end, but that still wasn't enough. And she's still on tour in the US too.

19. It's obviously sad when anyone gets dropped but I'm actually not that gutted. Only because I don't think for a second she'll stop making music, so she'll either release it independently or get signed to a smaller label and carry on that way.

beyoncésweave and strangekin like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.