Laura Mvula - Pink Noise | Page 23 | The Popjustice Forum

Laura Mvula - Pink Noise

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Cognitive Dissonance, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Ugh, I think this is going to be the case with all of them. Was hoping it was a mistake that they'd uploaded a video of her signing small inserts with the caption 'signing vinyl copies'. I don't know why they think this is OK to do, it's incredibly misleading.

2. The record almost entirely lives up to the impossible hype I'd built around it following the pre-release tracks but 'Magical' is "stop you in your tracks" brilliant from first play and definitely the one for me right now.

3. This album is an utter triumph - "Conditional" and "Before the Dawn" are my favourites of the new tracks currently - but I'd like to also give flowers to this stunning version of "Sing to the Moon" from the 1/f EP -

4. I can safely say this is my AOTY.

5. I’m so annoyed by this too. I hate signed cards!

6. The album is incredible, but Remedy. Oh my goddddddddd.

Trouble in Paradise and Vyrisus like this.
  7. Vinyl arrived today.. LOVE the album.. also the packaging... but drives me insane that the sleeve is never big enough for the vinyl and it's always ripped.

Absolutely brilliant songs though. Album of the summer!

OlliMaus and TRAVVV like this.
  8. She just hit number 1 on iTunes. So deserved.

9. I helped her do THAT! Seriously though I’m loving the album, going to try and get the orange vinyl tomorrow to go along with the download and streams. I feel like really supporting her.

10. THE HARVEST

[​IMG]

11. 'Magical' and 'Before the Dawn' are the ones that blew me away from the new tracks. An album I'm certain will make my summer joyful, whew!

12. Well Church Girl is now a ‘song of the year’ contender for me, so bless @bestinase for even bringing this entire era to my attention.

13. That filthy pulsating bass on "Conditional"

[​IMG]

I'm on the second half but it's already safe to say the excellence on display is impressive. The way some of the added 80s influences even harken back to Janet Jackson's Control... the talent, the taste! I remember the debut receiving tons of hype but the second album kinda flew under the radar for me. It's been quite a while since, but I was saddened to hear about the career turmoil she went through in the following years. I hope this album will make Laura finally get her dues.

edit: I definitely get True Romance vibes from the closer, that's immediately another early favorite!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  14. Did anyone here buy the pic disc of ''Pink Noise''? Does it play/sound OK?

15. On Instagram I commented that the album is great but I was disappointed that it was a signed card, not a signed vinyl as advertised. She replied to my comment and said that if I DM her she’ll send me a vinyl!

Now I’m embarrassed for even mentioning it!

16. Does the first second or two of Got Me get cut off on Apple Music for anyone else? Maybe I just need a new iPhone.

17. This has been the only album I've been anticipating this year that has delivered the goods. Conditional & Remedy are the standouts so far. I love how she has taken sadness and put them into those two songs. i.e getting the chop from her old label on Conditional & George Floyd on Remedy.
    She has always been a superb songwriter, but its really nice to see her try something new for this album. She sounds really refreshed and confident this time around.

18. Nope, it’s happening for me too. And comparing it to the Spotify version, it’s definitely an error. Hopefully it’s fixed soon.

AlmostMidnight likes this.
  19. W2K

W2K

Before The Dawn is the one for me, but the whole album is a triumph.

Timbo likes this.
  20. I can’t stop listening to this. Not a weak moment on the album. Such a damn vibe through the whole thing. She really did that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.