Leftover songs that appeared on later albums | The Popjustice Forum

Leftover songs that appeared on later albums

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mvnl, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

So I just found out that You Go It All from Britney's Oops album was actually from the Baby... sessions. I know with Girls Aloud's We Wanna Party on Out Of Control was originally from the Neighbours Say sessions? And then there are cases like Gwen Stefani basically making a new album out of L.A.M.B demos.

Curious for other cases of this (also because sometimes when I find out it makes complete sense)!

2. 'Damn' was from the Chemistry sessions and re-recorded.

'Call The Shots' was considered for lead single for The Sound Of Girls Aloud but was too mature at the time.

A Mutya version of 'Never Gonna Dance Again' exists from the Taller In More Ways sessions.

Then there's a whole saga around The Veronicas latest 2 albums released this year a month apart finally.

They're made of orphaned singles and demos from the past 10 years.

Island, Conan, soratami and 2 others like this.
  3. ‘Not Good Enough’ by The Saturdays leaked around the Chasing Lights era but ended up on the Wordshaker album.

4. The greatness that is:

appeared in two eras, no?

5. 'Blackjacks' by Girls Aloud features on Tangled Up but was recorded during the Chemistry sessions and titled 'Blackjack'

'Step To Me' by the Spice Girls was recorded during the Spice sessions but would later appear on the Japan version of Spiceworld.

Holly Something and Mvnl like this.
  6. You’re welcome. Haha.

soratami and Mvnl like this.
  7. Was Control of the Knife also from the Chemistry sessions or did I just imagine that?

Untouchable Ace and Mvnl like this.
  8. Not sure, it's likely a really rough version could've been demoed.

Untouchable Ace likes this.
  9. Here are a few examples I can recall:

P!nk - Catch Me While I'm Sleeping

Recorded for "M!ssundaztood" ~ (re-recorded?) and released on "Try This"

Madonna - It's So Cool

Outtake from "American Life" ~ re-recorded/rearranged and released on "Celebration" greatest hits album as a digital bonus track.

Madonna - Back That Up to the Beat

Intended for "Rebel Heart" ~ re-recorded/rearranged and released as a bonus track on "Madame X"

Melanie C - Independance Day
    Written for "Northern Star" ~ re-recorded and released on "Reason" as a Japanese bonus track

Sia - Fair Game
    Written during "We Are Born" sessions ~ recorded and released on "1000 Forms of Fear"

Anastacia - Higher Livin'
    Not entirely sure about this one, but I vaguely recall seeing it was recorded in 2014, which would be "Resurrection" sessions ~ later released on "Evolution".

No Doubt - Waiting Room
    Written during "Return of Saturn" sessions ~ re-recorded and released on "Rock Steady" with a notably different arrangement.
    (obviously No Doubt released an entire album dedicated to their B-sides, rarities and outtakes called "Everything in Time" in 2003/4)

Albums like Gwen's "Sweet Escape" (partly consisting from "L.A.M.B." outtakes) and P!nk's "Hurts 2B Human" (partly consisting from "Beautiful Trauma" outtakes) can also be included, but we don't precisely know which songs were re-used.

10. 3 80s examples that spring to mind are:

Fine Young Cannibals - Ever Fallen In Love
    Released as a single in March 1987, from the movie Something Wild. Later appeared on their 1989 album The Raw & The Cooked. Another track, Good Thing, was recorded for/used in a 1987 film Tin Men, but also appears on the album and was released as a single in 1989.

Kate Bush - This Woman's Work
    Recorded for the 1987 movie She's Having a Baby, it was then subtly remixed and appeared on her 1989 album The Sensual World. Also released as the second single from the album in most territories.

Dragon - Celebration
    New Zealand/Australian band covered the Kool & The Gang song (and did a much better job than Kylie's throwaway B-side material version, if you ask me) and released it as a single in November 1987. It then appeared on their 1989 studio album Bondi Road.

Eric Generic, Mvnl and berserkboi like this.
  11. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Interesting how with 90% of these songs I can hear it right away and almost want to switch up my tracklists!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.