Legendary (Voguing competition series) | The Popjustice Forum

Legendary (Voguing competition series)

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Tiger Suit, May 20, 2020.

1. This looks sickening!
    May 27th

"In Legendary, a new HBO Max competition series that pulls from the underground ballroom community, voguing teams (aka ""houses"") must compete in unbelievable balls and showcase sickening fashion in order to achieve ""legendary"" status. The cast includes MC Dashaun Wesley and DJ MikeQ as well as celebrity judges Law Roach, Jameela Jamil, Leiomy Maldonado, and Megan Thee Stallion."

LPT, Sam, stuaw and 4 others like this.
  2. Any idea where it will be aired in the UK? Presumably a Sky entity if it’s on HBO?

3. Just watched the first two episodes and this show looks expensive. The edit is amazing, loved the houses presentations and overall energy of the series. The Houses are all great in their own way, but I love me some Gorgeous House of Gucci.

The judging in general seems a bit off sometimes? Law Roach, who I loved as a judge on ANTM, does a bit too much here for my taste. Don't really care about Jameela, but Megan and Leiomy (who, in my opinion, should be the main judge instead of Jameela) are giving me everything I need.

I'm really bummed to see House of West go this early. They were by far my favorite performance from the first episode and they were great on the second one. I feel like they had so much more to give. House of Escada is the only one I really find boring.

stuaw, sesita, Dennis and 2 others like this.
  4. I'm still trying to find somewhere to watch it (UK hens can watch it on Crave, but I can't really afford that atm), but I'm so excited to get into it!

stuaw likes this.
  5. Bloody Jujubee has me reading Legendary as Legs And Dairy for life.
    I was hoping it would come to Sky Atlantic in the UK.

DoggySwami likes this.
  6. I just watched the first episode and yes the cinematography is outstanding. The budget! That being said, I thought the direction made it look more like a documentary than a competition. I'm curious to see if that will change through next episodes.
    By the way they released the first one on youtube.

7. It's amazing. I was a bit....confused at the rules though? Like, I don't think I fully understood how the House of West came to be in the bottom.

lushLuck likes this.
  8. This is incredible. The production values are insane, the talent is overflowing and the energy is really beautiful. I was vibrating and having way more fun with this vs. Drag Race.
    And even the confusing judging is correctly depicting the ballroom scene in my opinion; the chops in real life ball can be very subjective and discretionary, so the different cuts and fights between the judges ring true to the original reference.

stuaw and lushLuck like this.
  9. I've just finished the first episode and I'm intrigued to see how this series plays out.
    No surprise that the iconic House of Ninja won the Grand March, I thought they lived up to their name.

I really enjoyed all of them, and I like the pseudo-documentary style; since the ballroom scene doesn't have massive visibility outside of America, I think having an educational side to the show is necessary.

Also, Leiomy is fabulous!

stuaw, lushLuck and Humes like this.
  10. I just spent like 5 minutes looking for this thread nn. I thought the first episode was alright. I think it'll get better as they trim some of the fat and the houses bring out more stunts. Kinda weird that like half the house mothers are white, but I'm glad episode one sorta handled it head on.

Honestly I'm more elated than anything to see Leiomy on TV. She's a true legend to me.

11. Does anyone know if this is gonna be on Foxtel in Australia? Episode one was on YouTube and I LOVED it.

12. Ninja and Lanvin have me so excited I keep rewatching their Grand March performances.

This show is incredible so far.

13. Jarrel can have his way with me in any way, shape or form.
    What a cutie.
    They do need another expert though.
    Leiomy is amazing and another judge who knows their shit to replace Jameela would be ideal.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Dennis and blod like this.
  14. Me casually sitting here shazaam'ing every song and hoping they're recognized - even though a lot are custom mixes it seems.

It feels like they didn't know how to book Jameela for this. Like she's not the host, but she's more than the other judges? I guess "head judge" is her title but like why would it be her? That makes no sense. I actually like her as sort of the "I'm here to experience this for the first time" / Audience-stand-in type judge that other reality competitions do... like when Ell*n was a judge on American Idol.

15. Jameela makes ZERO sense and the way she ogles at the performers lowkey makes me uncomfortable. I feel like they edited her role way down after the backlash. Hopefully they replace her if there’s another season.

inevitable, Uno, K94 and 4 others like this.
  16. So I follow Gravity Balmain on TikTok, he posts vogue tutorials and other cute vogue content and I didn't know he was going to be on this! He hasn't really had any moments talking so I don't feel like Balmain will be in this very long as other houses have had like every single member highlighted.

17. Honestly, I think Michelle Visage would be a better judge here, and could easily replace Jameela - her connection to Drag is mainly through knowing RuPaul, but she was fully immersed in the ballroom scene and became a known name when she was leaning from Willi Ninja.

dell321 and stuaw like this.
  18. So apparently the fight with Law and Dominique lasted longer than 15 minutes and had to be edited down for TV.
    Got that off Jarrell's insta story.

Humes and lushLuck like this.
  19. Episode three was a blast, loved the theme and performances in general. How come House of Balmain almost ended up in the bottom with that performance? For me it was by far the best.

Ninja was not bad at all, but I understand the placement, given it will be harder and harder as the season progresses. They absoluted murdered the survival battle, though.

The fight felt staged, like... Is Dominic actually Elektra? It was very much a scene from Pose there. The drama.

stuaw and Monkey0 like this.
  20. I am living for this show. Thursdays can never come soon enough!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.