Leona Lewis

D

Deleted member 14291

Thunder is decent. It's definitely more engaging and immediate than Fire. I'm doubtful how it's going perform, though, because it's not that much better.

Why the fuck is she releasing everything except I Got You.

She just doesn't get it does she.

I think they get it. I think right now Island's focus is on the Adult Contempary market and making Leona an album seller again. I think her fanbase was confused by Glassheart and that did damage, which they are now trying to rectify.

Fire Under My Feet may have flopped, but Radio 2 supported the hell out of it. Record Of The Week and 4 weeks on the A-List, despite a complete chart flop on its second or third week. It appeals to them and the label are being smart appealing to them again with another AC track in I Am. Neither will likely do big things on the singles chart ever, but it might pay off and give her best selling album since Echo, which hopefully won't be hard as she would only need to sell around 130,000 copies to beat that. They have Radio 2's support gauranteed thanks to her playing their gig in September, whereas right now the rest of the major stations seemed to have abandoned her and would most likely right now ignore I Got You too, leaving her with another flop single and probably damaged album sales because of that choice.

You never know if all goes well and the album sells decently when released, they get an X Factor performance for the 3rd single in the UK, they might release I Got You in Q1 next year to revitalise the whole campaign again, hopefully by that point she has proven herself relevant and radio might actually play it. Of course this is all wishful thinking just now.

Island

Staff member
I just want to hear the album and then start judging on what should be the next single. The Diane Warren penned single will probably be the next one after 'Thunder'.

I just want to hear the album and then start judging on what should be the next single. The Diane Warren penned single will probably be the next one after 'Thunder'.

I have that feeling aswell. I hope the song is great, Diane can be very hit and miss, but I loved Paloma's Only Love Can Hurt Like This, so heres hoping we get something as great as that with big vocals. I think a big vocal performance on X Factor, with a great song would certainly shift some albums. Its been so long since she stood and gave a great vocal performance.

Island

Staff member
She did say that Diane wrote the song especially for her, which (according to Leona) she has only done for two other people. Hopefully, it's good.

I think a lot of people have their expectations too high? I mean I think "Thunder" could become a small-modest-sized hit. I don't expect Leona to have a smash hit anytime soon. But would be nice for top 40 on the hot 100 & selling 500k+.

I think they get it. I think right now Island's focus is on the Adult Contempary market and making Leona an album seller again. I think her fanbase was confused by Glassheart and that did damage, which they are now trying to rectify.

Fire Under My Feet may have flopped, but Radio 2 supported the hell out of it. Record Of The Week and 4 weeks on the A-List, despite a complete chart flop on its second or third week. It appeals to them and the label are being smart appealing to them again with another AC track in I Am. Neither will likely do big things on the singles chart ever, but it might pay off and give her best selling album since Echo, which hopefully won't be hard as she would only need to sell around 130,000 copies to beat that. They have Radio 2's support gauranteed thanks to her playing their gig in September, whereas right now the rest of the major stations seemed to have abandoned her and would most likely right now ignore I Got You too, leaving her with another flop single and probably damaged album sales because of that choice.

You never know if all goes well and the album sells decently when released, they get an X Factor performance for the 3rd single in the UK, they might release I Got You in Q1 next year to revitalise the whole campaign again, hopefully by that point she has proven herself relevant and radio might actually play it. Of course this is all wishful thinking just now.
Albums do not sell without a single on the radio. Radio won't be playing Thunder, or I Am. Thus the album won't sell. There aren't many artists who can sell off the strength just of AC radio - if they're selling it's because their song crossed over to pop/top 40...

Albums do not sell without a single on the radio. Radio won't be playing Thunder, or I Am. Thus the album won't sell. There aren't many artists who can sell off the strength just of AC radio - if they're selling it's because their song crossed over to pop/top 40...

I agree. Radio 2 does f-all for sales - singles or albums.

You don't always need crossover hits though, support from the AC stations, good reception from the critics to the album and hopefully loads of promo should help sell the album decently well. Rebecca Ferguson's Heaven went twice platinum without a hit single. Paloma Faith hasn't had many hits, only really Only Love Can Hurt Like This did really well and yet she has 3 double platinum albums. I don't expect those sort of sales, her last album went gold, I just want to see an improvement on that, if she can double that I would be happy.

I realise it won't be easy, but I am seriously hoping they are going to have loads of promo booked and will have her out there on everything performing during the album release.

She really suits her new hair.
CJzshqEVEAAFCN8.jpg

CJzcv_iVEAEzkef.png

She looks great.

Has there been a clip of I Am? I don't remember hearing it.

And I know we're all raving about I Got You but honestly I think it's the weakest compared to the two singles. The Instagram clip was really exciting but hearing the full thing just isn't really doing much for me.

I do have a feeling that Radio 2 are going to ditch her now anyway after Fire. Thunder is a #1 in my eyes but it's not what people want.

She looks great.

Has there been a clip of I Am? I don't remember hearing it.

And I know we're all raving about I Got You but honestly I think it's the weakest compared to the two singles. The Instagram clip was really exciting but hearing the full thing just isn't really doing much for me.

I do have a feeling that Radio 2 are going to ditch her now anyway after Fire. Thunder is a #1 in my eyes but it's not what people want.

Highly unlikely, they gave her two more weeks on the A-List despite its disaterous chart performance. Plus they have announced her as a main act at their festival in September, they'll at the very least spin the next single.

Island

Staff member
On her snapchat, it seems she also played for 103.5 KISS FM and 93.9 My FM??

93.9 is the modern/adult contemporary station in Chicago and that suits her better than the major pop Top 40 stations like B96 and 103.5.