Let The Rates Begin - The Paramore Discography Rate (RESULTS) | Page 11 | The Popjustice Forum

Let The Rates Begin - The Paramore Discography Rate (RESULTS)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by nikkysan, Aug 26, 2018.

?

What's your favourite Paramore album?

1. All We Know Is Falling

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. RIOT!

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. brand new eyes

13 vote(s)
    22.8%
  4. Paramore

19 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. After Laughter

13 vote(s)
    22.8%
  1. Future is amazing though, an atmospheric epic. Maybe some of y'all are in need of brand new ears.

2. Dddd I was thinking Future would be top 20 at least.

AshleyKerwin and Music Is Death like this.
  3. 2014

2014 Staff Member

All We Know Is Falling needs a huuuuuuuuge cull before we even touch Self Titled

4. Is the last interlude leaving us now?

Yes it is.

I'm not bitter anymore, I'm syrupy sweet, rot your teeth down to the core if I'm really happy...

[​IMG]

Interlude: I'm Not Angry Anymore - 6.18

Highest:
    10 x 1 (@Music Is Life), 9 x 1 (@imaduck)
    Lowest: 2 x 1 (@HarryEzra, 0 x 1 (@slaybellz)
    My Score: 5

The third and final interlude that appears on the self-titled album, as well as to be eliminated from the rate, I'm Not Angry Anymore was the interlude that came to the band's heads the fastest, as Hayley stated that Taylor felt inspired by meeting another band called HelloGoodbye during a trip to Hawaii. The band had used the ukulele (the instrument heard in all three interludes) in an album of theirs which sparked Taylor to buy one for his own after the trip, and he and Hayley quickly wrote I'm Not Angry Anymore while Taylor played the ukulele. The band went through two bouts of writer's block and have said writing the interludes helped them get through them, as well as bring some humour to the album and break tension in between some of the more intense songs.

I... meh, I don't feel too strongly about this one either, it deserves to fall quickly. Holiday deserved to be the highest rated interlude, teebs.

@Music Is Life (10) "Once again, an interlude and probably not actually worthy of a 10 but I also love this it’s so cute, and the lyrics are so relatable."
    @Sovereign (8) "the best interlude among the 3 and I stand by it"
    @drewsky (5.5) "This probably could've closed the album teebs, it sums up the album perfectly. Not my favorite interlude, but not the worst either"
    @Slice of Life (5) "Fucking ukulele aside, this is my favourite interlude. But I'm not gonna give this a high score because I don't want this to defeat Paramore's full songs dddd."
    @slaybellz (0) "God all these ukulele interludes are obnoxious."

5. I'm really glad I gave high scores to the interludes, cause clearly it didn't matter as they are still out early. I'm perfectly fine with this, as I would rather have full songs beat them.

6. I'm sorry if these first lot of writeups are a bit uninspired, I definitely want to get to the meat of the rate soon but the struggle to come up with anything interesting to say about these songs so far...

7. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

Don't apologize. You're doing a good job!

8. You're doing amazing @nikkysan, don't think otherwise.

Very happy to see all the interludes gone pretty much in succession.

9. Good riddance! Now i'd like to see a couple more bonus tracks go before ya'll start culling my dear debut album.

10. If Future doesn't make the top 20 I will start a RIOT!

I know it won't

11. ‘I’m Not Angry Anymore’ should have been held back and worked into a full song. It’s such a little spark of brilliance, with a great theme that just works so well considering their progression as a band and considering how the topics they’ve always tackled have matured into a more adult, mellow setting. It’s kind of just a great statement piece as to how much their sound has changed and how they’ve shifted from anger into a more retrospective and melancholic sound.

myblood, soratami and Music Is Death like this.
  12. Much apologies for the delay of the next update, two nights in a row was spent out with friends and seeing A Star Is Born, now I'm ready to continute!

First post-RIOT! non-interlude track to go out is...

Maybe it's been years since I genuinely smiled...

[​IMG]

Tell Me It's Okay - 6.375

Highest:
    10 x 1 (@Music Is Life), 9 x 1 (@DJHazey)
    Lowest: 4 x 2 (@nikkysan, @soratami) 3 x 2 (@slaybellz, @imaduck)
    My Score: 4

Tell Me It's Okay was a demo written for the Self Titled album, but wasn't included as Paramore didn't have time to finish it, but the demo ended up finding it's way onto the 2014 re-release. The song talks about Hayley’s struggles, how she has faked a smile for too long but now she feels genuinely happy. She starts doubting herself and her feelings but she’s eventually able to express her emotions and show how life has changed for her. You could almost say this track was a pre-cursor to After Laughter.

And here is my lowest scored song of the entire rate. It's a demo, and certainly sounds like one. The chorus is a bit too repetitive and the melody isn't strong enough to really make up for it, I think it was a good thing this didn't make it onto the album.

@Music Is Life (10) "This should have been on the main IMO, I really love the lyrics and how happy she sounds. Of course, listening to this after listening to After Laughter is kind of heartbreaking."
    @DJHazey (9) "I like the real punk moment Hayley delivers at the end of the chorus, which helped sell me on this song though the whole thing really gets stuck in your pretty fast. "
    @Blond (8) "These lyrics are such a segue to After Laughter."
    @Sovereign (8) "The bonus tracks made me hating less on the self titled"
    @AshleyKerwin (7) "The most remnant of their earlier work."
    @Slice of Life (6) "It's very nothingy but it does bop so I might as well give this a decent rating."
    @drewsky (5) "I remember being perched for the leak of this because it was the only real new song on the rerelease. Worth the wait? Meh. I like when they reference their other songs (ex. the misery factory line) but it's definitely still a work in progress and starts off almost the same way as Native Tongue. Just ok"

It does go off a bit live, I'll give it that.​

13. I just need My Heart to go now and that'll be all my low scores gone.

nikkysan likes this.
  14. Saying goodbye to one more demo...

I always knew you'd fall through and now you're proof...

[​IMG]

Rewind - 6.395833

Highest:
    8.5 x 1 (@BEST FICTION), 8 x 3 (@nikkysan, @Gabeee9292, @Slice of Life)
    Lowest: 4 x 2 (@Sovereign, @imaduck) 5 x 2 (@DJHazey, @Lost Boy)
    My Score: 8

Rewind is a demo from the RIOT! sessions, that was included as a bonus track of the Best Buy and UK iTunes editions of the album. The main theme of this song is regret due to a current or recently ended relationship. It narrates Hayley’s desire to “Rewind” time back, to before the relationship began, so they can end it before it starts. Hayley sings about how she knew and predicted the outcome of the relationship. She didn’t really have faith in it to begin with, a common theme in Paramore songs due to Hayley’s self-proclaimed cynicism of love as result of her parent’s divorce.

This goes hard quite a bit. For a demo, it sounds pretty polished and full sounding, much more so compared to Tell Me It's Okay. I really enjoy all the RIOT! bonuses, honestly. Could've gone a little bit further to be honest.

@Slice of Life (8) "Ooh, I was gonna comment it sounds like a demo. And just found our it is indeed a demo ddddd. For a demo, this sounds dangerously full. I am here for this."
    @AshleyKerwin (7.5) "nice guitar solo at the end"
    @slaybellz (7) "Overall this song is average but the little breakdown in the middle is so good."
    @Leader Beans (6.5) "This certainly had potential"
    @Music Is Life (6) "This is okay but it sounds more like AWKIF than RIOT! And I understand why it didn’t make the main album."
    @DJHazey (5) "I don't know what happened with that chorus because it starts out fine but boy do they sound unpolished when it really counts."
    @Sovreign (4) "not a fan of this demo at all"

15. Tell Me It's Okay should not be out yet, I have such a personal connection with the lyrics. However, since it went out in tandem with one of my lowest scores, I may find my peace with this.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    nikkysan likes this.
  16. WHAT?! Don't let that thought into the universe.

17. Those screaming vocals are extremely unpleasant though, I think it was the only song in the rate I had to skip halfway through.

nikkysan and Music Is Death like this.
  18. I prefer the version of My Heart on The Final Riot. I think I gave the album version an 8, because of those vocals.

nikkysan likes this.
  19. Euhm... I'm kinda losing lots of 7's and I don't like it one. fucking. bit.

There's still a lot to sift through before we should oust some of the good bonus tracks, sistren!

20. They certainly both sound like demos but Tell Me It's Okay is such a banger and deliciously punk when it's as catchy as the genre can be. My first true loss, but expected.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.