Let The Rates Begin - The Paramore Discography Rate (RESULTS) | Page 15 | The Popjustice Forum

Let The Rates Begin - The Paramore Discography Rate (RESULTS)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by nikkysan, Aug 26, 2018.

?

What's your favourite Paramore album?

1. All We Know Is Falling

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. RIOT!

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. brand new eyes

13 vote(s)
    22.8%
  4. Paramore

19 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. After Laughter

13 vote(s)
    22.8%
  1. Again such a tragic decision...

Music Is Death likes this.
  2. Now I think we're taking this too far...

[​IMG]

Brighter - 7.06

Highest: 10 (@Sanctuary, @Jonathan27), 9 (@Lost Boy, @Slice of Life, @phily693)
    Lowest: 3 (@Leader Beans)

@Slice of Life (9) - You can already hear the pop-isms of that chorus and I am so here for it. Me and my eardrums also appreciate the relatively quieter production ddddd.

@phily693 (9) - I adore the verses but feel the chorus lets it down a bit. Still a bop.

@Gabeee9292 (8) - Not one that I go back much to but I do appreciate it a lot.

@Music Is Life (7.5) - This is also pretty solid, though not as good as later material

@Remorque (6.5) - This one has quite an urgent feel to it, which I like, but it's left feeling me a bit unimpressed... I love the production, though it's a bit of-its-time and Hayley's performance is far from her best...

@Leader Beans (3) - Garden variety emo-pop

3. Ok I can live with these two going out.

slaybellz likes this.
  4. Music Is Death and Sanctuary like this.
  5. Fucking hell, the debut does not deserve this.

You shine brighter... than anyone!

Ugh I can’t deal. I’m thirteen again.

6. I'm gonna be taking Sundays off in the rate, but we'll be doing 1 a day until it ends! Things will get much more interesting this week

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  7. Exciting news! Let's roll!

8. This one is gonna be really painful for some of you

[​IMG]

Never Let This Go - 7.1

Highest: 10 (@phily693), 9.5 (@Lost Boy), 9 (@nikkysan, @GRMusic, @Music Is Life, @Slice of Life)
    Lowest: 4.5 (@Leader Beans)

@phily693 (10) - I love how charmingly amateur this sounds. It literally sounds like it was written in their garage and I get my life to it for that

@Music Is Life (9) - This is a pretty solid song from the debut. Lyrically, rather dramatic again, but it's Paramore so isn’t that what we’re here for? Hayley’s voice seems to be a little deeper here than usual, and I think I kind of like it.

@Slice of Life (9) - That chorus is monstrous. A beast, etc. I can forgive the pretty basic verses because that chorus deserves at least a 9.

@Gabeee9292 (7) - A bit of a dud

@Leader Beans (4.5) - There are shades of the Paramore I know and love​

soratami, Sanctuary, DJHazey and 6 others like this.
  9. This sucks.

10. This is the worst song on the album... I can't believe it outlasted Whoa, Franklin and My Heart ???

Gabeee9292 likes this.
  11. What the hell is wrong with you people?

Music Is Death and swim like this.
  12. Whew, 3 songs in a row and my 11 is safe.

Later edit: @slaybellz ugh now I'm bummed again about Franklin and My Heart.

slaybellz likes this.
  13. *fuzzy noise*

[​IMG]

Future - 7.12

Highest: 11 (sorry @Gabeee9292), 10 (@nikkysan, @2014, @Blond, @Music Is Life, @soratami)
    Lowest: 0 (kii @Sovereign)

This was a work in progress track that they think wouldn't even make the album, and it shouldn't have. Thank god I didn't have to sit through this one live because I probably would've used the bathroom during it. Overly long and unnecessary. The part with words is stagnant and goes nowhere, the almost 5 minute instrumental break is boring and noisy. No thanks

@Gabeee9292 (11) - First time I listened to Paramore's ST... I was very surprised and a little thrown off if not disappointed. The album felt initially all over the place with everything, I must say I was pretty surprised I even made it to the last track, the 17th!!! one, Future. Seeing it was almost 8 minutes long, I thought to myself... HM, but hit the Play button regardless. Future starts off very slow, giving some old demo recording teas, and slowly, slowly builds up, and up helped by Hayley's half-asleep vocals singing of how the future isn't necessarily going to bring shit in your life. Think of a new life, she almost whispers, while keeping your eyes on a new prize. Ok, Hayley, ok... 3 minutes in and we finally arrived. Paramore's finest moment as a band, Paramore's most daring and brave moment ever, Paramore making post-rock and killing it while at it, Paramore giving me the usual feelings their music gives me multiplied by 100, Paramore making post-rock better than old post-rock acts, Paramore making me shiver every single time I play Future, Paramore at their PEAK. And I am hoping and praying they will not entirely abandon these moment where they allow themselves to experiment like crazy because true, Ain't It Fun has the gospel choir, Grow Up has the synths, but THIS, this is something else. Oh. Now the music stops playing half-song and I was like... what? why? Only for it to return later, louder and stronger than ever. See, sometimes you don't even need lyrics or vocals to send a message. Future sends a very realistic message on how DISTORTED and messed up everything can and will be in life, what a roulette it all is, how uplifted might feel at some point just for everything to get quiet and then pick up from where it left. Writing the future

@Blond (10) - This could easily have got my 11. As I mentioned in my commentary for ‘Looking Up’, there is a really interesting parallel between the two songs. Looking Up has this wide-eyed optimism about the future and joy at being together as a band, and in ‘Future’ Hayley seems absolutely heartbroken and downtrodden. I always wonder if she’s talking to herself and the rest of the band or the Farro brothers when she says “don’t get lost in your memories, keep your eyes on a new prize”, which is such a beautiful lyric. All too often we replay our failures, mistakes or regrets so much in our heads that we end up living in the past. Also, the “false end” is really interesting to me as Looking Up contains something similar at 2.52, and I always thought that represented the band essentially being over but then coming back swinging (“I can’t believe we almost hung it up, we’re just getting started). Future has this heavy, angry-sounding instrumental that fades out around 5.30 before coming back in about 18 seconds later, and it feels like they’re relaying the same message that they had on Looking Up, but this time they’re more pissed off and defiant.

@Music Is Life (10) - I never use this but this is an epic closer and better do fucking well.

@AshleyKerwin (9.5) - I like how dark this song is. Reminds me of Even Though Our Love is Doomed by Garbage and The 1975’s Lostmyhead

@Leader Beans (8) - It’s the not most memorable tune, but it’s not meant to be either. As a sequel to ‘Now’, this certainly adds more depth and flavour.

@DJHazey (5) - Wouldn't mind if they used the instrumentals in the second half of the song in the future. Hayley should be singing anytime that kind of music is being made by the band. Sorry not sorry

@Slice of Life (5) - A statement piece for sure but not something I seek out. And not something I necessarily want from Paramore

@Sovereign (0) - What is this even????????????​

14. 2014

2014 Staff Member

o wow wat a mess

15. Can we go back to destroying pre-RIOT! tracks?

soratami and AshleyKerwin like this.
  16. FML. There I was happy and joyful 24 hrs ago

Then life was like: u thought ha

[​IMG]

I swear this kind of shit always happens to me from my day to day life and now to this rate even. I really love this song. It is a neat 10 in my book and from all the 10s I would give in this rate I assumed Future would do the worst (poor My Heart did even worse) so I used my 11 on it.

End of rant I hope We Are Tepid wins

[​IMG]

Crisp X, soratami, nikkysan and 4 others like this.
  17. Oh thank Jesus that's gone.

Slice of Life and DJHazey like this.
  18. ‘Future’ is such a meandering mess.

Slice of Life likes this.
  19. If I could cut, copy, and paste some parts of Future into a new (and shorter) track with more Hayley-concentrated vocals then I could see myself liking it more.

Overall, I couldn't have asked for a better start to this rate, having only lost one high score thus far.

20. I wish I could cancel the Vanessa rate on you. (Just kidding).

DJHazey likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.