: 10x7 (@ohdenny
; @Andy French
; and me)
: 5x1 (@ohnostalgia
Worth It (feat. Iamsu) for:
the Gameboy Color realness of the production
I know this song has quite the baggage and many people hoped it would finally be IT
for Tinashe, but it’s just not fair. It’s not fair to hold the fact a song royally flopped against it when everyone hoped it would smash. Yes, even if it was a Max Martin penned “lead single”.
Player is stellar. This is not the first time I defend it and it probably won’t be the last. It’s a stunning track and honestly in my Top 10 tracks from 2015. It’s insane. I don’t have words for that chorus, that sounds like the sound of utter, unrivaled triumph. The fact she hides it to us the first time around, only to unleash it the second time like the hounds of hell coming directly for your scalp is one of her best moments so far. The production is stellar as well. Literally, every element to this is a huge big YES! screamed at the top of your lungs. In short, it’s everything “Popnashe” should be. Not random collaborations. Not Flame. Something like Player, a huge, undeniable, pop explosion that plays to her insane strengths. Not even Chris Brown's ghost could spoil all that.
Not for you apparently. Let’s start the parade with Touchofmyhand
(10): “This 10 is for the solo version, the one I claim. The other one can choke with a 6 at best”. ThisIsRogue
(7.5) is on the same page: “What was the point of including Chris Brown as a feature when the song would have been fine as a solo track?” and other Chrissy Teigen’s disdain comes from Posh Spears
(9): “Love a nintendo bawp! The solo version is the correct version of course.” Now is the time to confess this. I actually don’t mind his verse, I think he does well enough. He’s still a douche and still doesn’t add anything to the track though.
Let’s quickly shift focus from this controversial ass opinion with constantino
(7) and ha blatant hypocrisy: “This is indeed a bop, but it was still regressive for her. I’m generally ok with shameless chart pandering for this if it actually works, but this was a bit of a flop so it wasn’t even worth it.” C’mon double standards let’s get casually cruel in the name of being honest’ning! nikkysan
(6) is visibly confused: “Not terribly interesting but a serviceable enough of a bop.” That chorus could well be more interesting than my whole past, present and future life. And yours. Andy French
(10) serves post-Unapologetic Rihanna: “This score is for the solo version, as I willingly choose to ignore Chris Brown’s general existence.” So do the charts in the past few years. Let’s celebrate that. Finally, phily842
(10) lives for a good edging queen: “I love that she went full on pop, it's a damn shame this wasn't bigger. Obviously the solo edit is superior. I love that the real chorus doesn't kick in until over a minute into the song. A fantastic slice of pop!” I too live for my unnie @Slice of Life
! And last, lemonsqueezyy
(10) who hits it out of the park, once again: “The single version is a complete 10 - airy, atmospheric, yet futuristic production, vocals for decades, and immaculate styling on the single cover. We all know what went wrong here, but this should've been the one.” I still hope it gets to be released on Joyride. It’d be a bit tragic I know, but I still do.