Let's have a rate : the 9MUSES discography rate • FINISHED | Page 12 | The Popjustice Forum

Let's have a rate : the 9MUSES discography rate • FINISHED

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by vague, Mar 1, 2019.

1. hello. i have a busy day ahead of me, so here's another early elimination...

[​IMG]

Don't say bye-bye
    My heart is childish
    And I'm still selfish
    So I'm just looking at you, just looking

[​IMG]

No.30
    쳐다만 봐

Score: 7.498
    High scores: 10×1 (@Sanctuary), 9.75×1 (@ajmkv), 9.5×1 (@yuuurei), 9.1×2 (@berserkboi, @pop3blow2), 9×4 (@ohnostalgia, @Oleander, @Cotton Park, @Remorque)
    Low scores: 3×1 (@Slice of Life), 5×3 (@Coming Century, @roblognick, @ryjm), 5.5×2 (@SloMover, @Gintoki)
    My score: 8

5 ballots: No.39, 7.64 avg.
    10 ballots: No.37, 7.245 avg.
    15 ballots: No.34, 7.613 avg.
    20 ballots: No.30, 7.735 avg.
    25 ballots: No.32, 7.438 avg.
    30 ballots: No.31, 7.582 avg.
    32 ballots: No.30, 7.498 avg.

"쳐다만 봐" (chyeodaman bwa; just looking) is the b-side to 9MUSES' second single album, "Dolls", released on January 24, 2013. The song's lyrics were written by Song Sooyun; it was arranged by Han Jaeho, Kim Seungsu, and Hong Seunghyun; composed by Han Jaeho and Kim Seungsu; and produced by Sweetune.

The chorus is pretty weak to me, but the rest of the track is a grade A cutesy bop. Euaerin's rap, as usual, is the highlight. That's about all I have to say about this one ddd.

@ajmkv (9.75) — "Just Looking is flat-out better than Dolls for me. It's a matter of personal preference, but everything about it hits the right spots for me. It's not quite a ballad, so it already has that going for it since I expected a ballad b-side when the mini was announced, and was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't. I also overplayed the shit out of Just Looking when I was going through my ultimate 2013 Namyu stan phase, so I have warm memories attached to it. Ultimately, my personal experience with this song might be throwing off my objectivity here, but who cares? This song does what it does well, all wrapped in that retro-sounding instrumental. I particularly like the "Don't say bye-bye" hook, it really gets into your head and stays there! One of my absolute favorite 9M album tracks, hands down. Some guy on YouTube even made an R&B remix of this song and I greedily ripped the audio to have in my iTunes, haha, and it works quite well in that form, too!" (link us unnie)

@yuuurei (9.5) — "A perfect accompaniment to 'Dolls' as it continues the Cute But Sad theme. The repetitive rhythm of the complex lyrics works to give it a sort of sentimental feeling and it always gets stuck in my head for a while whenever I listen to it."

@berserkboi (9.1) — "Shows versatility though not my jam as much as other tracks."

@pop3blow2 (9.1) — "A lot of neat stuff going on in this one. Some cool production bits & I like the melody a lot. It's different."

@Oleander (9) — "Voyeuristic anthem."

@Cotton Park (9) — "Namyu turns down the intensity just a tiny bit for an upper midtempo number just because the people upstairs called down and demanded it. They might have circulatory or cardio problems. I don't know. I didn't ask."

@ThighHighs (8) — "A song for men on Grindr everywhere. This is a sweet track and plenty to like, it's just not too interesting. It sounds like a very good korean SNSD album track. It's not as instant as Dolls, but it's got a cute groove and is nice to listen to."

@GeiPanda (8) — "Very AOA album track, I enjoy it."

@bbynewyear (7) — "so charming, the beat stuck with me. LOOΠΔ 1/3 should cover this." (well, we know YeoJin is a fan of the title track, so maybe it could happen)

@evilsin (6) — "Ooh, I like that sweet melancholy in the melody, certainly gives a nice feel to the song."

@SloMover (5.5) — "She's a cute girl but not very interesting or sophisticated compared to what they were releasing at the time."

@roblognick (5) — "This really is quite boring. Sounds like a terrible album track from Britney's first album."

@ryjm (5) — "As soon as I heard the opening synths I almost instantly decided this was not going to be my thang...and I was right. I did listen to the whole thing, but that will be the first and last time teebs."

@Slice of Life (3) — "I appreciate the more delicate nature of the song but this is kinda boring huh. Sorry."

ysev, soratami, Twinkle and 21 others like this.
  2. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

Oop...

[​IMG]

Bye girls. I'm not dying today. x

soratami, Twinkle, Sanctuary and 15 others like this.
  3. Well I wish we weren't saying bye-bye to that song already but I guess it's to be expected by virtue of it being even remotely adjacent to a ballad. Can't have that!

Oleander, ajmkv, evilsin and 2 others like this.
  4. LADIES WAS ROBBED
    of a #25 position but still ROBBED

5. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

Come on ladies!

soratami, Oleander, ajmkv and 3 others like this.
  6. Every time I like it DO IT
    Someday I like it DO IT
    [​IMG]

soratami, Oleander, Crisp X and 9 others like this.
  7. Oh, unnie...
    [​IMG]
    I thought we were in this together!

soratami, Twinkle, Sanctuary and 7 others like this.
  8. OH NO! I can't believe I missed the opportunity to rate these ladies and their entire discography! They have some of the best tracks in K-Pop imho. I'm pretty positive I know what my 11 would have been because of how dirty it's been played in the past...

[​IMG]

Needless to say I can't wait to keep an eye on this thread! Hopefully none of my faves will be done wro...

[​IMG]

soratami, Twinkle, Oleander and 10 others like this.
  9. Let's hope the girlies have the SENSE to not tank this song....or else.

[​IMG]

10. [​IMG]

I knock you off like "koong", you pull me close like "chit"
    Do you really think this is gonna work?
    You cut me off like "dak", I pull away like "chit"
    Get a clue and be more sensible

[​IMG]

No.29
    쿵치딱치 (KOONG CHIT DAK CHIT)

Score: 7.692
    High scores: 10×3 (@Cotton Park, @yuuurei, @Petit nain des Îles), 9.75×1 (@Oleander), 9.4×1 (@berserkboi), 9.25×1 (@FunkyButChic), 9×2 (@soratami, @ohnostalgia)
    Low scores: 4×1 (@roblognick), 5×2 (@Coming Century, @Gintoki), 6×3 (@codecat, @bbynewyear, @Sanctuary)
    My score: 7.5

5 ballots: No.36, 7.78 avg.
    10 ballots: No.35, 7.29 avg.
    15 ballots: No.33, 7.693 avg.
    20 ballots: No.28, 7.795 avg.
    25 ballots: No.27, 7.846 avg.
    30 ballots: No.28, 7.755 avg.
    32 ballots: No.29, 7.692 avg.

"쿵치딱치 (KOONG CHIT DAK CHIT)" is the fourth track from 9MUSES' fifth mini-album, "LOST", released on November 24, 2015. The song was written, arranged, and composed by Kim Yuseok and MonoTree's Chu Daekwan. "Koong chit dak chit" is a Korean onomatopoeia representing the sound of striking a drum, and is used as a metaphor in the song's lyrics for the give-and-take nature of the girls' relationship(s).

This has grown on me exponentially since the rate started - especially the last few weeks ddd. I'd probably give it a 9 today, but oh well. The lyrics are really great and a lot of fun. In fact, I think they're probably some of the best in 9MUSES' whole discography tbh.

@yuuurei (10) — "Really fun and catchy and the lyrics are so ruthless and funny, I love it."

@Petit nain des Îles (10) — "Love the old school hip-hop influences. The eerie climax that precedes the last chorus is a career highlight. When Keumjo belted «Eokjiro useul suga eobseo maedalliji maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa» out, I felt that."

@berserkboi (9.4) — "Doesn't reinvent the wheel but does the job very well!"

@FunkyButChic (9.25) — "Erine is up there with AOA's Jimin as one of the few rappers whose mere presence on a track always improves it." (tea)

@ajmkv (8.75) — "Hey stupid boy, are you crazy? I really like this, it's a cute and funky little track."

@ThighHighs (8.5) — "WHYYY did I think this was going to break into 'NoNoNo' after that intro. 'Hey stupid boy, are you crazy?' is a MEAUXMENT."

@ryjm (7) — "There are some really great production flourishes throughout this, but the song didn't really leave much of an impression on me. It's very much a sound that the group have perfected, but with that in mind, it nothing particularly new. Though shout out to that killer note, I was shook."

@SloMover (7) — "Pleasant little bop but it's not really dynamic or memorable. 'Hey stupid boy are you crazy' is an iconic line though."

@Slice of Life (7) — "I don't know why expected a wacky song because of that song title ddddd. This is also rather great. HyunA serves vocals for days. Yath."

@evilsin (7) — "Groovy, but ultimately just fine."

@GeiPanda (7) — "Generic but not horrible by any means."

@bbynewyear (6) — "'hey stupid boy are you crazy?' = 4 points, the rest of the song = 2 points."

@roblognick (4) — "If this was a English language track I can see the type of group that would release it and I don't like them."

ysev, ryan_riot92, soratami and 23 others like this.
  11. [​IMG]

You are so fancy
    Fancy, I fancy you
    Don't say anything serious
    Uh, today, we are fancy tonight

[​IMG]

No.28
    팬시 (Fancy)

Score: 7.705
    High scores: 10×2 (@Coming Century, @Oleander), 9.75×1 (@FunkyButChic), 9.3×1 (@berserkboi), 9×4 (@ajmkv, @Petit nain des Îles, @Hurricane Drunk, @eliminathan)
    Low scores: 3×1 (@bbynewyear), 5×1 (@SloMover), 5.5×1 (@Sanctuary)
    My score: 8

5 ballots: No.24, 8.56 avg.
    10 ballots: No.29, 7.805 avg.
    15 ballots: No.31, 7.787 avg.
    20 ballots: No.32, 7.415 avg.
    25 ballots: No.29, 7.662 avg.
    30 ballots: No.29, 7.685 avg.
    32 ballots: No.28, 7.705 avg.

"팬시 (Fancy)" (paensi) is the fourth track from 9MUSES' fourth mini-album, "9MUSES S/S EDITION", released on July 2, 2015. The song was written, arranged, and composed by Jeong Changwook.

Jeong Changwook's work with 9MUSES ("핑 (PING)", "드라마 (DRAMA)", "몰래 (Secret)", "입술에 입술 (Lip 2 Lip)", "둘이서 (Two of us)", Gyeongree's "BLUE MOON") is some of their best post-golden era music, but this slightly pales in comparison to his other compositions for me. It's still pretty dang good, but it just doesn't stand out as much among the other songs he's done. Big surprise here: Euaerin's two raps are, of course, my fave bits ddd.

@berserkboi (9.3) — "Lovely!"

@ajmkv (9) — "I love the way they sing Fancy in the post-chorus! This is another song I don't particularly seek out in their discography but I never skip it when it comes on. It's definitely interesting enough to stand out on its own but I guess it just hasn't exactly clicked for me."

@Slice of Life (8) — "Yathhh coo for your life girls. Keumdrop slays my existence here. Kween."

@GeiPanda (8) — "I enjoyed this a lot, really catchy."

@ThighHighs (7.5) — "Their 'Can't Speak French.'"

@evilsin (7.5) — "A little smooth number with a really catchy chorus. I appreciate how it is layered with a bit of a key change in the second half of the chorus."

@yuuurei (7) — "It's not bad but it's so high-pitched that I don't like to listen to it much."

@roblognick (6) — "It's a little too cute for my liking. I'd probbaly need a lot longer with it for it to become a song I'd actively seek out."

@ryjm (6) — "Erm...not so fancy really...but ok? The verses are good and that middle 8 is great but the chorus just goes nowhere. The rapper saves this from mediocrity."

@SloMover (5) — "Pure filler. The rap verses are great though. Why won't this song end..."

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    ysev, ryan_riot92, soratami and 24 others like this.
  12. [​IMG]

Watching you change
    I should've said something to you then
    But now you've coldly turned your back to me
    So I need to forget you

[​IMG]

No.27
    주르륵

Score: 7.706
    High scores: 10×2 (@Oleander, @Sanctuary), 9.75×1 (@FunkyButChic), 9.4×1 (@berserkboi), 9.25×1 (@ajmkv), 9×2 (@yuuurei, @vague)
    Low scores: 4×1 (@bbynewyear), 6×2 (@Slice of Life, @Gintoki), 6.5×3 (@junglefish, @Hurricane Drunk, @Deja-Boo)
    My score: 9

5 ballots: No.30, 8.18 avg.
    10 ballots: No.27, 7.865 avg.
    15 ballots: No.27, 8.027 avg.
    20 ballots: No.29, 7.77 avg.
    25 ballots: No.28, 7.715 avg.
    30 ballots: No.27, 7.807 avg.
    32 ballots: No.27, 7.706 avg.

"주르륵" (jureureuk; trickle) is the fourth track from 9MUSES' third mini-album, "DRAMA", released on January 23, 2015. The song's lyrics were written by Boytoy, Yoon Taeung, and NORU, and it was arranged+composed by Boytoy, Yoon Taeung, NORU, and Urban Cllasik.

I truly love this, and think this is one of their strongest b-sides. The only reason I didn't give it full marks is 'cause the chorus is just a lil bit too simple for my own tastes, but that's just me being nitpicky so I don't give half their discography 10s ddddd. I've never really rated Sunga's rapping too highly tbh, but I think her verse here is really great. I still prefer her as a vocalist, but props to her for delivering here. Euaerin is the star to me as usual, but what's new? ddd.

@berserkboi (9.4) — "Cute!"

@ajmkv (9.25) — "This and Drama were the two songs that I added into my regular playlist so I had them both on high rotation. As such, Trickle holds some dear memories for me, walking around slowly to the backing track while exploring Europe. I love the whole thing, from beginning to end, and the 주르륵 refrain is great. This is one of my favorite songs from this era of 8muses."

@yuuurei (9) — "Pretty and sweet-sounding but the lyrics are sad and bitter - as I've said before, this is a fave combo so I like this song quite a bit. I do feel like it plods along a bit though despite barely being over 3 minutes long."

@ryjm (8) — "Oh this surprised me, the intro had me a bit concerned but I was wrong to be worried. You can really see their progression and growth as a group with songs like this- their vocals, the production, everything just sounds so refined. This a deceptively addictive chill bop. My head is bopping to that bizarrely aggressive bass."

@roblognick (7) — "Catchy and inoffensive enough to bop to."

@SloMover (7) — "This is actually very lovely. Maybe because it sounds like a modern pop midtempo rather than the coffee shop music they pad their releases with."

@evilsin (7) — "Very smooth, this one. Maybe not the silky levels of smoothness, but perhaps butter? I don't know, I don't really have a smoothness scale handy."

@Petit nain des Îles (7) — "Feels a bit like a retread of Dolls to be honest."

@GeiPanda (7) — "HENNY."

@Slice of Life (6) — "I feel bad giving this a 6 because truth be told, this deserves at least a 7. But comparing it to the rest of the competition, Trickle just sounds weaker to these ears."

ysev, ryan_riot92, soratami and 23 others like this.
  13. Stanning Euaerin ... relatable. Being overexacting to avoid giving everything a 10 ... also relatable.

soratami, Oleander, evilsin and 5 others like this.
  14. I’m currently drunk so not even reading the elims but let me just say I’m walking home in my 9M playlist and THIS is currently playing and I’m living. I’ll be back to shade y’all for the latest elim soon.

Yes it’s Monday and I’m drunk listening to Nine Muses what sorry

Oleander, evilsin, RUNAWAY and 2 others like this.
  15. Fancy is so underrated, sigh.

Oleander and vague like this.
  16. we'll finally reach an 8 average today...

but, sadly, not quite yet.

[​IMG]

Don't make up excuses, hoo
    You and I are already over, hoohoo
    After tonight, I'll never see you again
    I'll admit, you're really something else

[​IMG]

No.26

Score: 7.920
    High scores: 10×1 (@yuuurei), 9.7×1 (@berserkboi), 9.5×2 (@Oleander, @ajmkv), 9×6 (@Ana Raquel, @ryjm, @FunkyButChic, @Slice of Life, @Petit nain des Îles, @vague)
    Low scores: 4×2 (@bbynewyear, @ddog), 6×3 (@Coming Century, @codecat, @Sanctuary)
    My score: 9

5 ballots: No.31, 8.14 avg.
    10 ballots: No.26, 8.245 avg.
    15 ballots: No.26, 8.313 avg.
    20 ballots: No.26, 8.01 avg.
    25 ballots: No.26, 8.148 avg.
    30 ballots: No.26, 7.882 avg.
    32 ballots: No.26, 7.920 avg.

"핑" (ping; dizzy), also known as "PING", is the tenth track from 9MUSES' first full-length album, "PRIMA DONNA", released on October 14, 2013. The song was written, arranged, and composed by Jeong Changwook and Ham Seunghyo.

One thing I can never fault Star Empire on is the quality of tracks they collected for the Muses throughout their entire nine year career. The sheer quality of (nearly) all of their b-sides and album cuts is astounding to me tbh. After “MISS AGENT”, this is probably the biggest bop on the whole “PRIMA DONNA” album, and one of my fave tracks from them period. Every single member gets a chance to shine, which I appreciate since I love them all dddd.

Like “Trickle”, this is another track I foolishly changed from a 10 to a 9 at the last minute, and am now regretting as it leaves too early imo ddd. I’m also really sad they never performed this live.

@yuuurei (10) — "Tell me why the best song on the album is second to last? This is supreme, I absolutely love it."

@berserkboi (9.7) — "Very interesting!"

@ajmkv (9.5) — "I played Ping constantly during the months that followed the release of Prima Donna, and it remains in my Top 3 for this album. It's a cute romp, I love the little bridge (with Leesem once again serving beautiful velvety vocals, ugh I love this woman so much), and the raps are sassy and fun. I guess I don't have much to say, but I really love Ping."

@ryjm (9) — "Oh jesus that bass is so sexy. Combined with some gorgeous airy vocals...and I am in heaven. Like I need a megamix of Prima Donna and Reboot STAT!"

@Slice of Life (9) — "The production is here just goes the fuck off huh. I also love how the girls sound here. Lots of softer vocals and falsettos which is always welcome in my book."

@roblognick (8) — "This one gets better with each listen. I'm learning this style of hook is a 9MUSES trademark."

@evilsin (8) — "Now we're talking! The ping-ping-tara hook is everything."

@SloMover (7) — "This is really cute. But again, kinda half-baked."

@Cotton Park (7) — "Tremendous bass line. Especially when the Namyu twin rap attack of Eua Erin and Eunji have at it."

@GeiPanda (7) — "Cute but not a massive standout on the album."

ysev, ryan_riot92, soratami and 22 others like this.
  17. Noooooooooooo!!!

18. Now that my 7s and 8s started falling, I began to feel a bit sad.
    [​IMG]

soratami, ajmkv, vague and 1 other person like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.