Let's have a rate : the 9MUSES discography rate • FINISHED | Page 23 | The Popjustice Forum

Let's have a rate : the 9MUSES discography rate • FINISHED

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by vague, Mar 1, 2019.

1. I really didn't have time to vote and I'm still sorry for it but I'm glad that Wild won the main rate with Figaro & News being runner-ups.

The extras rate going on now is also fun I hope Hurt Locker wins!

PopZeitgeist, ajmkv, evilsin and 2 others like this.
  2. Goshh watching this rateeee makes me see how amazing this group was! All members from all eras were top notch! (After School could had neevaaah)

ajmkv and vague like this.
  3. Can we just retcon this?

ajmkv and vague like this.
  4. Some of us are Kyungri akgae and the good sis didn't rightfully get her spot as the group's star until half of these other girls had to drop out. Her power from Lip 2 Lip to Love City.... whew, now THAT'S a star.

PopZeitgeist, evilsin and vague like this.
  5. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love me, love me, love me, love me, love me
    I'm trapped in the memories that you've abandoned
    Lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely
    Why did you leave me here alone?

[​IMG]

No.3
    기억해

Score: 9.342
    High scores: 11×1 (@Hurricane Drunk), 10×18 (@soratami, @berserkboi, @junglefish, @Love Deluxe, @ohnostalgia, @Oleander, @ThighHighs, @Cotton Park, @codecat, @yuuurei, @FunkyButChic, @Slice of Life, @evilsin, @Petit nain des Îles, @eliminathan, @Deja-Boo, @Gintoki, @vague), 9.5×1 (@Remorque), 9×3 (@SloMover, @RUNAWAY, @GeiPanda)
    Low scores: 5×1 (@bbynewyear)
    My score: 10

5 ballots: No.4, 9.34 avg.
    10 ballots: No.8, 9.12 avg.
    15 ballots: No.8, 9.197 avg.
    20 ballots: No.6, 9.148 avg.
    25 ballots: No.2, 9.358 avg.
    30 ballots: No.3, 9.298 avg.
    32 ballots: No.3, 9.342 avg.

"기억해" (gieokhae; remember) is the title track from 9MUSES' sixth mini-album, "Muses Diary Part.2 : Identity", released on June 19, 2017. The song's lyrics were written by NUPLAY's Aaron Kim and Kim Soojung, and it was arranged+composed by NUPLAY's Isaac Han, Aaron Kim, and Klozer. "기억해" failed to chart on the Gaon Digital Chart, but peaked at no.95 on the Gaon Download Chart, selling 17,464 copies in its only charting week. The "Muses Diary Part.2 : Identity" mini-album peaked at no.5 on the Gaon Album Chart, selling 7,408 physical copies in total.

Not long after 9MUSES A wrapped up promotions of "입술에 입술 (Lip 2 Lip)", Star Empire announced that Hyuna would be leaving the group on October 4, 2016, following the expiration of her contract, but that 9MUSES would continue with the five then-current members, Hyemi, Gyeongree, Sunga, Sojin, and Keumjo. Hyuna posted a hand-written letter on 9MUSES' fan cafe explaining her decision and thanking fans, staff, and the other 9MUSES members for their love and support for the last six years. In January 2017, at a press conference to promote her upcoming web drama, "Find My Brother", Hyemi apologized to fans for the group's constantly changing line-ups, saying, "I'm always so sorry to 9MUSES fans. Honestly, fans don't have to go through all of these things, but sticking with us, they do. I'm really sorry, but at the same time I'm so thankful that they've stayed with us through everything, and I'm determined to do right by them".

On April 28, Star Empire announced that 9MUSES A were working on a new album and would have a summer comeback, but the members would have solo activities in the meantime. On June 1, Star Empire released the first teaser video for the group's comeback, and announced that, rather than promote as 9MUSES A, Hyemi, Gyeongree, Sojin, and Keumjo would indefinitely promote as simply 9MUSES, because Sunga had decided to go on hiatus in order to further her studies in music. The "Muses Diary Part.2 : Identity" mini-album and the "기억해" music video were released on June 19, and the group had their first comeback stage on M COUNTDOWN on June 22.

To be honest, the first time I heard this, I didn't like it very much ddd. I think I couldn't quite wrap my head around how... avant-garde? this is. It just blew my mind, and I didn't get it at first. But, with repeated listens, it slowly revealed itself to be an absolute masterpiece. The vocals and rap, as to be expected from 9MUSES, are top-notch, as always, but it took a few listens for the melodies to fully reveal themselves to me and become embedded into my brain. The dark, brooding, and, at times, almost heartbeat-like production was what kept this in heavy rotation on my playlists before I really connected with it, and it's still one of the things I love most about "기억해". The absolute drama of this song, the heart-wrenching lyrics, the maturity; this is the kind of song that only 9MUSES could deliver.

I'm still a little in denial about their disbandment, and just thinking about how we'll never again get to hear something as unique and amazing as this song from these four ladies kind of fills me with despair dddd.

@berserkboi (10) — "Wow! Have I found my 11?"

@Oleander (10) — "I like to think of this as the more upfront and self-assured counterpart to Sleepless Night. If the girls were lamenting about their suffering in Sleepless Night, here they have risen from the ashes and come back with a vengeance. They'll make sure to make those who hurt them not only remember what they did and who they crossed but also make them regret they ever did so. It's haunting like Sleepless Night but in a very different way. The pursued has become the pursuer."

@ThighHighs (10) — "Rage and fury and hurt all combined in a Ninja blender to create this song. The sonic equivalent of those fire tornadoes that sometimes happen in forest fires. The last chorus where Sojin's rap is in the background is just... so incredible."

@Cotton Park (10) — "Incredible song and an abrupt change of direction for the remaining four Muses. One of my favorite comebacks ever. So intense and gripping."

@codecat (10) — "The absolute chills that jitter all over my measly carcass when I listen to this.............a cathartic EXPERIENCE that never fails to hydraulic press my buss into oblivion. The contrasts...the dangerous pacing from pre-chorus to chorus...the VOCALS...SOJIN'S WHISPER RAP IN THE END AND ALL OF THEM WAILING UP TO THE STRATOSPHERE AHHHHH!!!! I'll never be able to make justice for this titanic song with this commentary so I'll leave that hard job to @eliminathan and just say that the Golden Globe they won for this video was DESERVED........yas kill that dude"

@yuuurei (10) — "The closest runner-up for my 11, I loved this the second I heard it and it's been a fave ever since. The music has a hauntingly intense atmosphere paired with dramatic and stunning vocals from all the girls, and lyrics that, while not groundbreaking, are suitably bitter and painful."

@FunkyButChic (10) — "This song is far from public-friendly, but I can't think of a better way to spend all of Kyungri's CF money."

@Slice of Life (10) — "A goddamn masterpiece. That's it, that's the tweet. This sounds even better two years later. Ugh, I'm sad that we'll never have tracks like this from Namyu anymore. The Holy Trinity of Main Vocalists (Hyemi, Keumjo and Kyungri) really made this song their binch."

@evilsin (10) — "Okay, this one is pretty amazing. It starts nice and easy and then it perfectly builds up to be more and more and more. The pre-chorus manages to make me hold my breath a little and then that chorus simply takes it right out of me. The fast sing-talkey lines are like fingers caressing my body up and down. You would think they did all they could to make it as great as it is, but no, they just had to add Sojin's extra lines in the last two choruses for that final oomph. A-grade title track."

@Petit nain des Îles (10) — "I'll forever be bummed that they came back with such an evolved style, then didn't have the chance to build up on this icier synthpop sound. One of their most unique songs, and one of my favorite Kpop ones of the last few years. At least they left on a good note I guess?"

@SloMover (9) — "We love a broody bop! While I do miss the disco vibes, this is a brilliant song for the remaining four Muses."

@GeiPanda (9) — "Do I think this should have won the Underrated K-weens rate? Not really. But this song is definitely incredible in its dark and layered production."

@ajmkv (8.75) — "Sigh. I was so, so excited for this before it was released. The announcement that 4muses was now actually the whole group soured the anticipation because I really missed Sungah, but I was ready to move on to new music. Then the teasers were mysterious and dark (a little bit serious?) and my excitement reached peak levels. I was happy that they were going for a dark concept for the first time. And then it was released and I loved it, but it wore off really quick. I mean, it is a very good song, dynamic enough to keep me interested, the girls are talented enough to pull off the vocals and the looks, and I even didn't mind Sojin here. It just didn't keep me hooked beyond the first couple of weeks or so, while on the other hand you can simply look at the fact that it is now 2019 and the vast majority of their pre-2015 singles re-charted in my Top 10. I think, here, it's a shame because I liked it, loved it even, but it just didn't stand the test of time for me."

@pop3blow2 (8.7) — "I like this Remember better. Is that the right choice?" (yeth)

@Ana Raquel (8.5) — "I prefer this Remember by far."

@roblognick (8) — "A song that just builds and builds into something really great. Barely recognisable from the song you hear at the start. Really good."

@ryjm (8) — "Oh she's an atmospheric bop, I like. A moody and evocative intro leading into a stomper of a chorus, YATH! I was totally fooled into thinking this would be another more subdued moment for them, but I'm glad I was wrong. I love how the whole thing evolves throughout. It's such a huge departure in so many ways - far more sophisticated than a lot of their catalogue but still retains that signature boptastic chorus. Like Hurt Locker, it's such a trip - ricocheting through so many amazing sections and sounds."

@bbynewyear (5) — "Was this the sound in 2017? These girls always sound good but the stuff they singing on is..."

6. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    다쳐 (Hurt Locker)

VS

[​IMG]
    러브시티 (Love City)

finale tomorrow @ 7:00 pm EST

Serg., Island, Empty Shoebox and 21 others like this.
  7. Uhhhhh....wow ok.

Even if Love City isn’t 9M’s best song I don’t want Hurt Locker to win ddd.

8. Nooooooo!!! Would giving my 11 to Remember instead of No Playboy have made any difference? Both such great songs!!

9. actually, yes. the averages for 2 and 3 are so close, that if you had given "Remember" your 11, it would have been no.2 instead. no.1 would be out of reach still, though.

10. A nightmare. Literally a nightmare.

11. DDDD This is not what I expected from this rate. I LOVE both of these songs but having THESE be the top two just feels.... SO unexpected. I'm proud of them both for making it this far, but totally gagged that Remember and Wild both crashed out before the top 2.

Oleander, PopZeitgeist, ajmkv and 8 others like this.
  12. Equal parts
    [​IMG]

And
    [​IMG]

Island, Oleander, ajmkv and 11 others like this.
  13. Oh wow! That is a tight race to silver indeed! Sorry, my fellow Remember-ers!!

vague and eliminathan like this.
  14. I legit thought Remember would win the rate. Welp

[​IMG]

Island, Oleander, Vixen and 7 others like this.
  15. Hurt Locker lowkey shouldn't even be in the top 10.

Love City to win.

Sanctuary and vague like this.
  16. Tbh I’m not even that mad because none of the songs in the top 3 deserved to win ddd. None of them represents what’s so unique about 9M and their sound, so I’ll keep pretending NEWS, Figaro or Wild won.

With all that said, you’re doing an amazing job as always @vague, and it’s kind of fun how unexpected the top 2 is!

Oleander, ThighHighs, Vixen and 10 others like this.
  17. Imagine not liking Hurt Locker and just announcing it to the world ...
    [​IMG]

Oleander, ThighHighs, vague and 5 others like this.
  18. Well at least Remember won another rate last year (or it was 2017?) so Namyu can have two entries in the KPJ Winners Rate.

19. Poor Remember.

That's a very unexpected Top2 for me as well. Wow. I don't even know which one I would like to win more, considering I gave Hurt Locker a higher score, but Love City is a little more unique.

vague likes this.
  20. She's a freaking star. Hope she gets to go solo without any hiccups now.

Sanctuary, Oleander and vague like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.