LGBTQIA+

To be fair to Hornby, at least they're being transparent that they're not donating anything. Just make your train sets look gayer I guess?!

The thing is that they had a discussion with an LGBTQ+ group in February, who advised them that they should donate to an LGBTQ+ charity if they were going to make a Pride model train. Hornby agreed to make a donation back then, but are now saying they don't intend to.

Corporations selling rainbow things thinking that it is encouraging awareness is so... decades late. We're far beyond needing just a rainbow.
INDIVIDUALS wearing rainbows I think is important, I think any visibility of queerness in our world makes people see that we're here living our best lives. But companies selling us things to "help us" with that... Gurl, If you want to help our community, Open your wallet.

In the US between 1990-2015, a same-sex mortgage application was 73% more likely to be rejected than an opposite-sex application and be charged higher fees and interest if they did get accepted. I can hardly say I find it thrilling that so many Pride parades allow banks to hand out rainbow stickers to us now they've finally decided to acknowledge us as a customer base.

https://www.sciencetimes.com/articl...ly-to-be-denied-than-heterosexual-couples.htm

The thing is that they had a discussion with an LGBTQ+ group in February, who advised them that they should donate to an LGBTQ+ charity if they were going to make a Pride model train. Hornby agreed to make a donation back then, but are now saying they don't intend to.

oh GROSS!!

she/her
I have booked an appointment with the town hall to submit a file for my name change, and even though it's not Friday yet, I can already feel a weight lifted off my shoulders. For this process, I just hope they're up to date with the laws regarding transgender folks, and that they're not going to be weirdly nitpicky over the receipts I had to provide as evidence but that (and anxiety fff) aside, I'm so ready to be done with this step.
And that went... not well! They refused to receive my file and deemed it incomplete as it didn't contain any medical papers. Not only is it illegal as the law in my country actually hasn't considered them a requirement for years, but it's also quite frankly discriminatory. I mean, whether a trans person pursues any kind of medical services, procedures or anything of the sort doesn't make them more or less valid. At the town hall, they didn't care when I brought all that up anyway so yeah, I'm pissed. I won't give up though. I'll book another appointment once I'm done gathering legal texts that prove my stance, following advices from a local LGBT association as well, and I'll see how it goes...

I feel like I'm reading A LOT of TERF-like garbage this week - I guess idiot journalists are taking advantage of the Stonewall story and running with it. Disappointing to see The Times and The Economist getting into the gutter by airing these types of views under the "free speech" guise.

LTG

he/him
I feel like I'm reading A LOT of TERF-like garbage this week - I guess idiot journalists are taking advantage of the Stonewall story and running with it. Disappointing to see The Times and The Economist getting into the gutter by airing these types of views under the "free speech" guise.
The Times is near enough a far-right rag at this stage and has been at the vanguard of pushing the “gender critical” agenda for the last few years.

I haven't seen any of what you're talking about, but on a more abstract level, this point really intrigues me.
How does one decide what opinions simply are not allowed to exist and must be exterminated?

londonrain

Staff member
I haven't seen any of what you're talking about, but on a more abstract level, this point really intrigues me.
How does one decide what opinions simply are not allowed to exist and must be exterminated?
You're familiar with the concept of hate speech, yes? You know that it's actually illegal?

So clearly there's some way of determining what opinions should not be published in public media. You can hold whatever opinions you want in your own head, but those opinions do not automatically earn the right to be published by a newspaper.

Okay advice gurls, my brother has been in a long term relationship for 7 years and it’s got to a point where his partner pretty much disagrees with everything my brother says when it’s actually factual.
An example tonight was Goldfrapp - Utopia coming on shuffle, and us discussing how it’s from their first album, his partner would then be convinced it wasn’t in fact from the first album but from the third, and when we try to correct him he would again continue to disagree and get defensive.
This is just a recent example, it happens a lot, is this usual?
Edit: reading it back the examples sounds really sad but that’s what we’re dealing with.

Last edited:
Okay advice gurls, my brother has been in a long term relationship for 7 years and it’s got to a point where his partner pretty much disagrees with everything my brother says when it’s actually factual.
An example tonight was Goldfrapp - Utopia coming on shuffle, and us discussing how it’s from their first album, his partner would then be convinced it wasn’t in fact from the first album but from the third, and when we try to correct him he would again continue to disagree and get defensive.
This is just a recent example, it happens a lot, is this usual?
Edit: reading it back the examples sounds really sad but that’s what we’re dealing with.
This sounds fucking annoying and I wouldn't be able to stand him nn