LGBTQIA+ | Page 1119 | The Popjustice Forum

LGBTQIA+

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Babylon, Aug 15, 2012.

1. How to say masc4masc without saying masc4masc dd.

adayasatiger and YourLeadSinger like this.
  2. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

The issue is that it began with Black trans women and Black femmes - it came from an intersection of gender and race, and it's become an image for fun~ for cis white gays. Dropping that framework is why it's not "gatekeeping". Refusing to acknowledge the historically racial lens of those labels is why posts in that vein don't work.

3. Would have been more convincing without the botched Mean Girls reference though.

bbynewyear likes this.
  4. This. Someone believing they are deserving or owing of a terminology that appropriates another culture they aren’t a part of does not mean they do. It’s jumping on the back of a community of people who had to struggle and fight for their existence - and as always - cis white gays will jump to do that with zero thought or care of who they’re appropriating.

singabob, DreamlessNights, He and 2 others like this.
  5. My social media peeve is when white people message me using emojis and it’s the black thumbs up or the black praying hands.

Okay Kostas you’re tan because you want to the beach twice but that’s not your hand baby.

6. Thank you! It feels surreal but a good kinda surreal if that makes sense?!

adayasatiger, djmakemewet and Andrew like this.
  7. Any gay using the term ‘boypussies’ gets an instant block on socials from me. It’s foul.

8. I'll get shot down for this, but I just think we should all be a bit kinder. I really don't like the 'language police' saying what people can and cannot say in this kind of context. Yes, phrases like 'boy pussy' are ridiculous but I think we have to remember that a lot of the people using this kind of language are very young and finding themselves. I don't think there is an intent to be 'phobic' or discriminatory on the part of most. A lot of people are influenced by watching Drag Race and stuff online and people like to imitate what they hear. I accept that there is a subtext to some of the terms but that's the same with lots of words and phrases if you look into the history/context. I think it's important to be tolerant and liberal and not get too preachy. Just my two cents.

Also, whilst I'd stand up for anyone who wants to use it, 'cis white gays' is surely a pretty unpleasant and divisive phrase.

Cowboystyle and TrendyMüller like this.
  9. K94

K94

How?

10. He

He

Cis white gays.
    Cis white gays.
    Cis white gays.

Chris Lala likes this.
  11. Unpleasant and divisive? Ah so it’s accurate then.

12. I can be the trouble, baby
    You can be the bass

13. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

Nn girl as a cis white gay I know we're terrible.

14. The more the terriblier

johnny_tsunami, Andrew, Uno and 2 others like this.
  15. Solenciennes

Solenciennes Staff Member

I think if someone used the phrase “cis white gay” to describe me I can only imagine it being as an insult rather than being used academically but hopefully I live my life in a way where that isn’t likely to happen. Would that not be a fair assessment?

16. Not this from a moderator. Cisgender is factual. If you choose to be offended by it it’s down to your own perception of what it means…and frankly, just another excuse to make a situation about oneself over the communities outside of that marker. For many of us non-cis, non-white folx, it’s just a fact. Be offended all you want but it doesn’t make it any less true.

17. Solenciennes

I'm not arguing the truth of it, I mean if somebody felt the need to use that phrase to me I assume it would be to comment on some problematic behaviour I was exhibiting, and hopefully I live my life in a way that avoids that situation from arising!

RMK, magictreehouse, kal and 2 others like this.
  18. Being offended over getting described as a “cis white gay” is reminding me of those TERFs being offended at being called a “TERF”. It’s just a description (and not a particularly rude one either), not an insult.

In before the “ ‘Cis White Gay’ is the new ‘Your Kind’ ”

19. He

He

Or instead you could try and be aware what these accurate descriptors mean? What privileges they come with, and how to use these privileges to listen, learn, and uplift other more marginalized queer folk.

It’s also not about the individual, it’s about collective responsibility. Decentering oneself is a great way to start understanding this.

20. Solenciennes

I’m not sure why this discourse is going this way, all I’m saying is if I, a cis white gay, got called a cis white gay to my face, unless someone is just describing the makeup of people in a room, I’d take it to mean I’m displaying a negative trait associated with the worst excesses of being a cis white gay. Not that I’m offended personally by the words!

RMK, magictreehouse, Verandi and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.