Life of Pi | The Popjustice Forum

Life of Pi

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Mikl C, Jan 13, 2013.

1. No thread for this? I think it's coming to the end of its run in cinemas, but I would urge everyone to go see it. Because it's fucking incredible.

The cinematography was insanely good, the CGI was flawless and the storyline was engaging from the very beginning and never let up. Really thought provoking and beautifully told.

10/10 from me.

I hope it wins ALL THE OSCARS.

2. RJF

RJF

I preferred the book, but I think the film was great and did as good a job as possible at exploring the themes of the story. The sting of the ending is lessened when you know about it beforehand, but still, it was very well done. Although I hated the part where he pulls the tiger's head into his lap and pets it. First of all, that didn't happen in the book, and second of all, if you were to come that close to a tiger that starved, it would still completely overpower you.

3. I thought the tiger was too exhausted to move at that point.
    I hadn't read the book, so the ending was surprising to me. Was the book's version different?

4. The ending is so heartbreaking, yet beautiful.

5. I already wrote about the film in the Oscar Bait thread, but in short, it's magical, beautiful, well-paced, and packs a surprising amount of depth. Highly recommended.

6. Quoted because this is a far more concise review than I was about to pen, plus it's 100% accurate.

7. I thought it was brilliant. It was also the first film I've watched in 3D, and I'm proud it's had that honor.

8. RJF

RJF

The 3D is used imaginatively and to enhance the visual it's part of; never really just for the sake of "OMG IT'S 3D!".

The opening with the zoo, the shots of the sea before the whale shows up, and the scene where Pi is basically tripping all are made by 3D.

9. The only gripe I had with this amazing film was how the sea at times was just perfectly still like some tranquil lake, although this could be because of Pi's deteriorating mental state?

10. I thought that's how the sea is most of the time when you're not close to the shore. The huge depths make the water not have a lot of sand to hit etc, so few to no waves, even with the wind currents. But maybe I'm wrong? No clue.

11. I thought it was very good.

It was absolutely beautiful to watch - a film that was truly enhanced by 3D, and was certainly equal, if not better than 'Avatar' in how it was applied. It was, quite simply, breathtaking at points.

I haven't read the story, unfortunately, which I need to get around to doing. (I know I probably should've done it the other way around but hey ho.) The story was captivating for the most-part, and was paced nicely. The bits of humour were very nice indeed, and broke up something that could've verged on dullness. However, I felt though that it flagged just a little towards the end - I think that if about 10 minutes or so were chopped off, it would've been even better. I was starting to become aware of its length.

Yes, enjoyable. It never completely struck a chord with me (I don't think I was ever entirely invested in Pi or Richard), but I'm certainly glad that I went to see it.

Onto 'Les Mis' this weekend! Seriously, some punchy films are coming out of the blocks early this year!

12. My only wish for the film was that they had maybe added small flashes of the more 'realistic' story of what occurred on the lifeboat, instead of Pi just reeling it off to the Japanese insurance guys.

13. I've heard some bad things from friends?

What are the rates?

They all tell me to go see Les Mis, I shant.

14. I saw the film tonight and it is AWFUL. One of the WORST movie I've ever seen. It's a boy. Stuck out in sea on a boat. With a Tiger. Think about how much they can realistically do with that and how 'interesting' it would be to watch it.

Go see 'Les Mis', I wish I had!

15. I think you've missed the whole point of the film.

16. While Superglowy did indeed miss the entire point of the film, at least he/she wasn't being paid to give an opinion, unlike the Digital Spy writer who committed exactly the same faux pas.

17. I enjoyed it a lot but I can't help feeling that had I not seen it in 3D, I wouldn't have been so taken with it.

However, the 3D was absolutely incredible. A LOT of effort went into it and it definitely added to the film. It was so beautiful in some parts, so definitely see it in 3D if you do want to see this film.

Otherwise yes, good movie that leaves you thinking... but the ending did buckle under its own weight a little bit, I thought... a solid 7.5/10.

18. The 3D was great and it was a good movie, 7/10 for me.

"Stuck out in sea on a boat. With a Tiger. Think about how much they can realistically do with that..."

Really close minded way of watching the movie.

19. So was he really stuck on the boat with a Tiger?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.