Lil Nas X - Montero | Page 135 | The Popjustice Forum

Lil Nas X - Montero

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by slaybellz, Apr 6, 2019.

1. So, I was at the Met Gala on Monday working as a server dd and this stunning king came up to me and asked “have you seen Normani?”

My soul left my body and still hasn’t returned.

superultra, GLC, tea and 100 others like this.
  2. RMK

RMK

One Of Me is cute. The Elton John credit will probably make people think it's a ballad

3. “That’s What I Want” has so much potential as a single. I can taste the #1 already. Can’t wait to ride (in my car nn) to this later.

4. Scoop ft Doja Cat

Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 8.59.10 PM.png

nbtsa likes this.
  5. So glad this is seemingly getting a push as a single

tea, SiduousIII, slaybellz and 26 others like this.
  6. 15 tracks at 41 minutes... I really can't with the complete lack of attention span of this new generation. Where are the days when songs got time to breathe and flow. I love him as an artist and activist, but the majority of tracks only lasting 2,5 minutes is just a damn shame...

GLC, jk-ennedy, Steve003 and 4 others like this.
  7. If you bother to listen to the album then you’d see that they are full songs and have time to breathe despite their length.

8. You can't deny artists these days cater to the streaming systems and cut songs down in length to up their streaming. I could do with Montero being double the length, there's plenty of interesting ideas that can be expanded on, and that's just one example. This is not a dig at him, at ALL, because I adore him, but more a comment on what is going on in the industry which is irking me...

Steve003 and neinzedd like this.
  9. Most of the tracks feel like full songs. Montero (CMBYN) being one I prefer the music video version of more as it has a little more room to breathe. Though I don’t find any of the tracks suffer from how short they are like Good Ones does. Sorry Charli, but it needed another 30 seconds or so.

10. Only 5 tracks in so far but That’s What I Want is INCREDIBLE

11. The opposite could be said too though? When albums like The 20/20 Experience came out they were too bloated. I’m sure there’s a happy medium but short songs were pretty much the norm in the 60’s for example. It’ll change again in a year or two.

12. As but one example, none of the songs on the Beatles' 1963 album Please Please Me are longer than 3 minutes, so I don't believe that short pop songs are a phenomenon unique to "new generations" or whatever.

Sometimes songs do have the air of being unfinished and "too short", but when I read people saying things like "I won't ever listen to a song that's less than three minutes long" it's just like...okay we get it you're tedious and hate efficiency!

13. As one of the biggest advocates for 3+ minute songs, my issue is when every song feels like an interlude because it doesn’t have a bridge. The Beatles is an interesting example, because yes, many of their songs (in their early career) are under the 3 minute mark, but they always have a bridge and a final chorus. (Also, many would say their best songs are later in their career anyway, but that’s another argument for another day). So many modern pop songs forget the middle 8 for streaming purposes and it makes them feel like incomplete thoughts.

I don’t hate short songs on principle, and as long as an album is still 40+ minutes long, it feels like a full(er) body of work. Do we need to go back to the 90s when every pop song was 4:45 and had a 50 second fade to silence outro? No. But I do think a happy medium could be found.

Anyway, pumped to give this a spin tomorrow.

14. This is absolutely sensational. I’m so thrilled we get to witness his journey. Please give us a vinyl!

15. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

This is (slightly) true, but it also isn't a fast and hard rule, and isn't necessarily fair upfront. I'm sure it's likely some songs are being cut down, but it may be more of a case of songs being designed as more compact pieces. Judging an album with the belief that you're already being shortchanged somehow does a disservice to you as a listener, right off the bat. Song length isn't instantly indicative of quality, so just go in trying to find gems rather than thinking they're somehow just going to end being duds.

tea, robster, Jonathan27 and 8 others like this.
  16. I’ll gladly wait for the vinyl in 2023!!

Espeon and Bobbyrae like this.
  17. The album ending with “never forget me and everything I’ve done”.

The power that has.

Burzum, tea, nbtsa and 8 others like this.
  18. Tales of Dominica! What a song.

If there's any justice in the world, this will be a massive hit.

19. “That’s What I Want” is huge. It totally has an Outkast “Hey Ya” vibe, but make it 2021.

tea, Duppe, Crisp X and 16 others like this.
  20. Doja's verse containing a line about her forehead sent me, and Megan's verse is full of future IG captions as usual.

dewzero, Beginner and mindtrappa like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.