Limit on number of embedded videos? | The Popjustice Forum

Limit on number of embedded videos?

Discussion in 'Forum business' started by stuaw, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Hiya.

My laptop is getting on a bit now, so when I unknowingly open a topic that has about 20 embedded videos in it, it either crashes my browser or (worse) freezes my computer for 10-15 minutes. I just had to close a window instead of replying to a post because it was just taking too long.

On my desktop it's not a problem, but shouldn't the forum be accessible to everyone (including those with older comptuers)? I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that people only embed one video to illustrate a point and use links for the rest. An example of what I'm talking about is the Sex Jams thread. There are literally 22 embedded videos on the first page. I think we're all familiar with the likes of Slow by Kylie and Do What U Want by Gags, and if we're not a link will do just fine, no?

Thoughts?

2. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Staff Member

I'm usually of the opinion that videos should be a text link anyway, as embedded videos don't work on most mobile platforms as it is.

3. SBK

SBK

It shouldn't be a problem loading the page as the videos only load the poster frame not the video and one instance of the video player

It's probably something amiss with your laptop rather than there being too many on the page.

Whilst on the topic of videos can we update the bb code to be HTML 5 compatible. I view on my iPad a lot of the time and I just get loads of blank posts in some threads.

Or just removing it and having links like Sock Monkey suggests would be nice.

4. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

A mobile app would be great. One that changes all embedded videos to links.

5. Ah, okay. Cheers. It's still annoying as hell, though.

Also, a big YES PLEASE from me re. a mobile version.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  6. I actually think it's really shitty that this was put in place. The facility of having a video already embedded allowing you to watch it while remaining on Popjustice and then being able to comment immediately afterward was a boon - removing it only detracts from our user experience, in my opinion.

7. TeenIdle

TeenIdle Guest

I somewhat agree with both sides. I just think the limit should be two per post.

With 1, if you're replying with a video to a quote - and that quote is a video - you must delete that video link in the quote to include your's. It's a little odd.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.