LIZ - Planet Y2K (Album) | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

LIZ - Planet Y2K (Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by DarkSacoura, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Re: Liz - General Discussion (First Pop Star signed to Mad Decent!)

Where?! I love her, she has a really pretty voice and her "sound" is right up my alley.

2. 3Xs

3Xs

Re: Liz - General Discussion (First Pop Star signed to Mad Decent!)

But lord, can we talk about this? Is that a Janet sample in there?

[video=youtube;oMDzvcpKZ6I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMDzvcpKZ6I&feature=youtu.be[/video]

(And yeah, 3 EP's where?)

3. TeenIdle

TeenIdle Guest

They're probably fanmade compilations found on a not so respectable place where people can find alternative ways to getting music...

Here's what the tracks are and how they're organized:

BETTY TROUBLE -
    01. Learn to Fly ft. IV
    02. Dirty Secret
    03. Dirty Blonde ft. Hardy Indiigo
    04. Chameleon
    05. The Lonely
    06. Let Go ft. Apache Chief
    07. Jesus Piece
    08. Touch Myself ft. Vicious Bunny
    09. The Lonely (Instrumental)

POISON -
    01. Hourglass
    02. Opium
    03. Poison
    04. Human

LIZ -
    01. Hush
    02. Turn On The Lights
    03. Every Memory
    04. Horoscope
    05. XTC
    06. Underdogs ft. RiFF RaFF
    07. U Over Them
    08. XTC (Demo)
    09. Minimix

4. TeenIdle

TeenIdle Guest

Oh, and the next song she's releasing is called "Chance In Hell". A clip is floating around from that minimix.

5. Re: Liz - General Discussion (First Pop Star signed to Mad Decent!)

So many songs I haven't heard. I need to remedy this ASAP.

6. Re: Liz - General Discussion (First Pop Star signed to Mad Decent!)

Lizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

7. Re: Liz - General Discussion (First Pop Star signed to Mad Decent!)

Betty Trouble? Did she attempt this once before under that name? Hmm. I PM'd you.

8. TeenIdle

TeenIdle Guest

PM'ing people the links if they sent me one asking me for it. PM me too if you want them as well.

And yeah, Betty Trouble is her former name.

9. Re: Liz - General Discussion (First Pop Star signed to Mad Decent!)

I've played Liz just about every day since I first saw this thread. I hope she becomes a star!

10. Re: Liz - General Discussion (First Pop Star signed to Mad Decent!)

I was listening to the Poison mixtape and I realized that it's just a mixtape of the songs that she's been featured in. Her voice works REALLY well with dance tracks. She probably won't make any for her actual releases, but she should definitely keep collaborating DJs. Especially if she makes songs as good as Poison.

11. Maxxbustamante likes this.
  12. Re: Liz - General Discussion (First Pop Star signed to Mad Decent!)

I had a feeling she'd do some stuff with Ryan Hemsworth. Another freaking amazing song to her name.

Maxxbustamante likes this.
  13. Re: Liz - General Discussion (First Pop Star signed to Mad Decent!)

This thread. All the way on page 15. Unacceptable.

New interview that just makes me adore her, even more.

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/liz-is-ready-to-pop

14. Re: Liz - General Discussion (First Pop Star signed to Mad Decent!)

I was hoping she would be Mad Decent's very own Uffie, but she really isn't, is she? She seems fairly talented. Hush sounds like a solid Nicole Scherzinger track, which is fine, I guess, but not enough not grab my attention. Day n' Nite is amazing though! The production's very interesting.

15. Re: Liz - General Discussion (First Pop Star signed to Mad Decent!)

She seems like a real sweetheart, and it's nice knowing she has a pretty specific, well-articulated angle for her music.

16. Re: Liz - General Discussion (First Pop Star signed to Mad Decent!)

If the production is your favorite thing about 'Day N' Nite', I'd really recommend virtually anything Ryan Hemsworth has done. The same sort of dreamy, ultra-hip urban stuff, a little less poppy perhaps.

17. Re: Liz - General Discussion (First Pop Star signed to Mad Decent!)

The only Ryan Hemsworth track I've heard is his remix of Mikky Ekko's Pull Me Down, which is great. Thanks for the suggestion, DarkSacoura, I'll definitely check him out!

18. 3Xs

3Xs

The only problem I have with LIZ, as much as I love the music so far, is I don't really like the way in which she's trying to cash in on nostalgia. Or maybe a better way to put it would be I don't appreciate people saying a certain era of music is the best simply because it happened to occur during their childhood. Don't get me wrong when I say I adore 90's/early 00's bubblegum but at the same time as a music fan I think it's really foolish and bit dangerous to get too attached to any one period of music. I think music now is just as good as it was then, or in the early 70's, or the mid-2000's, or the late 50's, or whatever, it's just that there isn't yet an instagram-like filter over our memories on the current era of music. (And part of the reason new music is good is in part because of nostalgia, I think).

Possibly scary thought - people born in 2000 will be teenagers this year.

19. Re: Liz - General Discussion (First Pop Star signed to Mad Decent!)

I don't think that's really a problem with her though? Why is building a sound based on a certain era/nostalgia an issue, when pop music in the late 90's/early 2000's was a radically different beast than it ever was/is. The very reason that early 2000's sound is becoming low-key trendy is exactly what she said in that interview - the trend setters of today were in junior high a decade ago.

That's just how music works, isn't it?

20. Re: Liz - General Discussion (First Pop Star signed to Mad Decent!)

Time to boost this thing, because LIZ dropped *two* songs this week.

The first is a free download of "U Over Them", one of her best songs, available on her Facebook page.

The other was already reviewed by Pitchfork and is called "Stop Me Cold." It reminds me of Kandi's "Don't Think I'm Not" from that early 00s era. It's fantastic.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.