Liza Minnelli | Page 20 | The Popjustice Forum

Liza Minnelli

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by AlexBradley, Jul 12, 2006.

1. That is news to me! One Boy Girl is awesome too.

The Don't Drop Bombs video has to be one of the all time great music videos.

2. It's all about the Impossible glamour!

torontodj and idratherjack like this.
  3. And the crotch grab! Madonna and Michael who??

4. I made Results a 9 track album. I can't deal with Sorry I Said....

Disco Blister likes this.
  5. I know alas there was no official music video for Love Pains, but at least we got a couple of TV promos with Liza with a Z, at her glamorous and Diva best:

6. Whaaaaat?! It’s one of the highlights of the album! Such a sad story, and the understated production fits the desperation of it perfectly.

7. I just can't warm to it at all...

8. It is a grower, but well worth of those extra spins it might need. Liza plays the part of an abused woman who’s given up the fight chillingly well.

9. I love the other ballads on Results if that's something he he!

10. The problem with So Sorry I Said is that it comes right before Don’t Drop Bombs. I often skip it to ensure maximum carnage on my scalp!

The best ballad on Results is Tonight Is Forever and that is that on that.

11. That is the best ballad indeed! Her voice on it too, is just incredible.

idratherjack likes this.
  12. Tonight Is Forever is sublime. A vocal tour de force.

The_Rani and WhatKindOfKylie? like this.
  13. Got it in one.

The_Rani likes this.
  14. So Sorry I Said is stunning - my favourite track on an incredible album

15. Her vocal performance is incredible. She's so good at conveying lyrical meaning.

16. That's the thing about Liza - she acts out the song. That's why she's so brilliant. I saw her a few years ago and, yes, her voice is no longer what it was, but she still EMBODIES the song. She commits to a song 1000%.

There is not one dud on Results, in my opinion.

17. If There Was Love, is the best album track for me. Dramatic and a great dance song too.

Blaahh, lob0to and Disco Blister like this.
  18. I was just thinking about Liza's film career the other day and what a shame it is that it didn't turn into something bigger. After Cabaret she made the right moves on paper - Lucky Lady was written by the guy who did American Graffiti, it was directed by Stanley Donen, it had two big name co-stars in it. New York, New York was directed by Scorsese, co-starred De Niro, had another soundtrack written by Kander and Ebb. A Matter of Time was directed by her dad, co-starred Ingrid Bergman. It all looked so good on paper and then went nowhere.

Its also always irritated the hell out of me that even though New York New York is a signature song of hers amongst her fans, the world thinks of it as Sinatra's song. My parents - who are old enough to remember the movie - didn't even know the movie existed.

19. Yes, the film of New York, New York is a slog to get through but Liza is dynamite in it. De Niro’s character is such a jerk that after two and a half hours he grates on you and wonder what Liza’s character sees in him. The music is great though.

I still think of it as Liza’s song. The various performances available online justify why it is HER song.

It is a shame her film career declined after Cabaret. But she always gives 100% despite the script.

And her early performances in The Sterile Cuckoo and Tell Me You Love Me, Junie Moon are brilliant, just as good as Cabaret.

20. WhatKindOfKylie? and trussy74 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.