Lorde - Solar Power | Page 61 | The Popjustice Forum

Lorde - Solar Power

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Sam, Jun 16, 2019.

1. C89F728F-A98D-4727-8117-871EA3F638AF.jpg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    QueenB, nooniebao, Laurence and 28 others like this.
  2. RJF

RJF

I also can’t at the street teaming for “Pretty Places” in that post, a song all about going anywhere in the world to escape your problems with a direct reference to driving cross country. In this climate?!?!?!?!?!

3. Some of you didn't blink three times when you felt it kicking in and it shows.

4. Sam

Sam

sis

stuaw and pdf like this.
  5. The OCC have published her best selling singles in the U.K. Despite only reaching no 20, Green Light has sold a shed load.

TITLE ARTIST PEAK YEAR
    1 ROYALS LORDE 1 2013 1.28m
    2 GREEN LIGHT LORDE 20 2017 830k
    3 TEAM LORDE 29 2013 434k
    4 TENNIS COURT LORDE 78 2013
    5 LIABILITY LORDE 84 2017
    6 MAGNETS DISCLOSURE FT LORDE 71 2015
    7 HOMEMADE DYNAMITE LORDE 82 2017 200k+
    8 EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD LORDE 65 2013
    9 RIBS LORDE NA 2013
    10 PERFECT PLACES LORDE 95 2017

6. Bop!

4Roses, nooniebao, Lately and 15 others like this.
  7. Also from her email: "In times of heartache, grief, deep love, or confusion, I look to the natural world for answers. I’ve learnt to breathe out, and tune in. This is what came through."

Really chimes with "Our thing progresses, I call and you come through". Queen of coherence!

Also I think it's wrong to thing of this as a typical lead single. She's made a body of work and this is the introduction to it. It's not supposed to be a melodrama banger, this one song doesn't need to be on heavy rotation to enjoy the experience of the album unfolding

8. This is a lead single, not a teaser or an intro. It's literally supposed to make you hyped and carry your attention untill the new album drops.
    The good thing is that it made me revisit her discography! Such a good one.

9. Lorde releasing an easy breezy, harmless song and the absolute hysteria and meltdowns are iconic. Maybe the depressing bop this era is us.

10. She says “I hate the winter” at the start of the song, but some people around the world live in permanent winter so it’s a bit disrespectful and she should know better.

Did she learn nothing from her Arctic trip and the privilege she has to leave at the end of it?

11. I don't like the song and have only listened to it twice. Patiently waiting for more songs. Y'all know if you don't like it you can just... wait? If you don't vibe with lyrics about going to the beach and enjoying the outdoors... Okay, same. But that's all that really needs to be said.

12. As someone who is regularly depressed and struggles in life, I do get a bit annoyed hearing happy songs sometimes, but this is a hell of a reach. The logic doesn't make sense to me because you could literally do this with any song. "Oh, Madonna is telling me to celebrate and take a day out of life? I can't do that because I don't have any paid time off and I have to take care of my sick mother." Like, I get the feeling, but a song is not problematic just because they are communicating an experience you don't relate with.

13. Some of you need to get a grip.

14. I agree, some of you really should stay inside.

15. The drama about this song is amusing. I mean it’s a shit song to me and I am happy for everybody who likes it still. But it really isn’t a hill to die on.

Digital_Fossil likes this.
  16. I could never enjoy Groove is in the Heart because I've never had groove in my heart

17. I don't even like the song that much but one of the most basic principles of pop music is escapism no? It's supposed to different enough from our miserable ass lives to offer a brief reprieve dd. That's the whole point!

18. Solar Power doesn't feel anywhere close to a 10/10, but it's undoubtedly a good song in my book, perhaps an 8/10. The production and lyrical playfulness give it a little extra something to compensate for the track's slightness. I love the way the production unfolds as the song progresses.

19. The production doesn't unfold enough is my issue. The change up feels limp and I wish it would have added more instrumentation.

20. This is fair, but I think that too much sonic ornamentation would have harmed the track because it is so light. I think they wanted to strike a balance between having some dynamicism while still not weighing down the track. Whether they were successful or not is up for debate (I think they were).

sesita likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.