Love, Simon + Love, Victor | Page 53 | The Popjustice Forum

Love, Simon + Love, Victor

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by MB, Feb 20, 2018.

1. The film was good so I stuck with the TV show. Watched this final series out of duty more than anything else, and I don't know where to begin with how bad it was, but the absolutely dire script was the main offender I think.

I'm loathe to make comparison's for all sorts of reasons, but I'm going to anyway. The very brilliant Heartstopper's release a few months back is all the more unfortunate for Love, Victor as it shines a light on the poor quality of the show, especially this third series...

Everything Heartstopper (and the even more recent Big Boys) got spot on - the narrative / script / story arc's, direction, colour pallette, soundtrack and casting are all sub-par here. Here we have actors who looked, behaved and spoke like they were in their mid to late 20's careering from one 'I'm sorry' scene to another with little to nothing in between - a sprawling group of characters falling out then making out on repeat for eight episodes with a complete absence of nuance, dynamism, depth or humour.

Much like Killing Eve's recent final series, it's like anyone who gave a shit about this show dialled out multiple series ago and the actors are left to do their best with crumbs, and just like Killing Eve, Love, Victor now boasts one of the worst final episodes of a show I've seen in a long time.

A sad end to something that had so much promise.

2. I am on episode two and you can tell this is a scripted tv show as no real person would publicly confess to seeing Troye Sivan.

3. Untrue - when I saw Charli XCX in Birmingham someone in the queue ahead of me said "The last time I was here was for Troye Sivan".

But yes, outside of a small pop-loving circle this is extremely unlikely. Would the watching public get the reference?

4. Love Victor did have some nice moments here and there. The addition of Raheem was a definite plus, the great chemistry between Anna Ortiz and Michael. These pluses could never hide the horrible writing and it was amplified this 3rd season. It was so directionless. I thought Game Of Thrones final season was horrible but this takes the cake.

What an awful way to tarnish the series.

ps. Benji is such a horrible character, including his horrible parents.

Jamie, Macanudo and Mvnl like this.
  5. I enjoyed this season as much as the previous ones - another slight, sweet mess that provided a warm way to pass the time - but nothing about this felt like a final season. It was so odd adding so many characters/plots and putting them through so many rollercoasters in such a short amount of time - not really letting any of them breathe or come to a natural conclusion.

6. I’m two episodes into Season 3. So far I’m really liking it and I appreciate that they’re giving Pilar more to do. I felt like last season she faded into the background.

I already know the general consensus is that this season felt rushed and the confusion isn’t satisfying but I’ll see it to the end regardless.

I just think it’s such a shame they fumbled this show as stupidly as they did. Season 1 felt like it was constrained by Disney sensibilities and it couldn’t be the show it wanted. Season 2 proper felt like a massive step up and they had the freedom to tell the stories they wanted. They announce midway through filming season 3 that it’s the final season so they had to re-write a lot of the plot, hence the messy ending. It’s just jarring.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    Music Is Death, jojo335 and Lander like this.
  7. Still avoiding spoilers but I’m watching the first episode of S3 and can’t believe how completely… unbothered I am about everything. I literally binged 2 seasons in one day last summer, now I’m totally zoning out!

Edit- Okay, episode 3 I’m a bit more on board. And Rahim is HOT.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  8. Sad to see this go out with a whimper, and so soon. It’s been such easy, comfort viewing. Definitely could have developed and gone on for a few more years!

jojo335 likes this.
  9. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

After Heartstopper it really feels odd how Benji & Victor can kiss and it leaves me completely cold.
    Only seen 1 episode thusfar but something about the two of them is so off? I get that Benji has some stuff to work through but it was all very 'yeah sorry mate, bye' instead of them being in it together, like a couple.
    Also, though I kinda liked how it became more of an ensemble show last season. with some of the couples from last season being split (so twice the storylines) + new characters getting their own storytime too it has become.. a bit much?

10. The cringe I got from the yes gaga boots the house down A- line turned this into a real hate watch.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    RainOnFire and lushLuck like this.
  11. Finished the season, I’m sad to see it end. It had some truly great moments, especially in season two when it hit its stride. This season felt rushed and a lot of the storylines felt like they were not fleshed out properly. You could have gotten at least two more seasons out of the show.

The ending was serviceable enough. I didn’t quite buy that all these problems and obstacles that arose in episode 7 were magically resolved by the final episode.

If they have a plan to continue this universe (unlikely, but one can dream!) then I’d love to see a spin-off with Raheem. There’s a lot of storytelling potential there.

12. I’d be first in line for a Rahim spin-off….minus the original creative team. Such a good character wasted on this show.

13. Benji’s character is so unlikeable (or just badly written) that I am finding myself rooting for Victor’s relationship with the ‘you up?’ boy more (I am on episode six or so at the moment) even though I know the scriptwriters will ultimately put him back with Benji in the end, yawn!!

14. I had quite low expectations about this season after the comments here, but after watching it… I didn’t hated it? It’s definitely the weakest season, but it was still fun going back to the show’s universe. I wonder when they found out this would be the last season, cause I actually think this had a strong start but faltered in the end mostly. So much was happening during the second half of the season with no time to properly develop any of it. I think the extra 2 episodes they cut would’ve helped this season tremendously.

Having said all that, even though it didn't stick the landing this season, I’m sad to see the show ending. Seeing non-white queer characters like Victor and Rahim in main roles was and is so important. I grew up loving teen shows like this and I never thought I would ever see myself represented this way. This show might come decades too late for me, but I’m glad It exists for the younger generations.

15. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

It might sound like a backhanded compliment but one thing I do like about this show is that it makes for perfectly decent viewing without me feeling any desire to bing.

16. Christ, you didn’t lie, the finale was even worse than I anticipated.

My favourite part was Mia and Victor saying how much they’ll miss each other when they literally didn’t interact or have a single scene together all season dddd.

17. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Not the 'look he's young now!' braces for Benji

18. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Just finished episode 6 and yeah, they're throwing in waaay too much (and messing with couples just to have them fix it within 2 episodes) so late in the show.
    Also that uncle of Raheem's basically was a cartoon character. I know toxic masculinity exists but this was..a lot.

RainOnFire and Humes like this.
  19. The way he’s just the fruity shirt police

Disobedience, Mvnl and Humes like this.
  20. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Yeah, like he would even be paying that much attention to what others are wearing?

hermit_the_frog likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.