M.I.A. - Matangi | Page 28 | The Popjustice Forum

M.I.A. - Matangi

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by truman, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Re: M.I.A. - Bad Girls + Album

It's so strange because she's the most influential popstar since Madonna (I howled in horror when I read Peter's Lady Gaga write up, because I thought, "It's M.I.A. and not Gaga!") and yet she's barely sold any records. I suppose you don't need to be a huge seller for your influence to extend itself into pop culture and globally; punk music being the ultimate example of that. With Maya, you can literally see the difference in the visuals of American hip-hop/pop/alternative music after Arular gets released, all that neon and animal print, the garish colours. Nu-rave? M.I.A.' created the look of it. And all of these artists absorbed it. So for her clothes line to sell really badly...is quite funny actually.

In other news, I am not looking forward to her duet with Chris Brown. I find it a distressing thought.

2. Re: M.I.A. - Bad Girls + Album

A duet with Chris Brown!? Why M.I.A.? Why?

3. Re: M.I.A. - Bad Girls + Album

Chris Brown?! No way...I won't believe it.

4. Re: M.I.A. - Bad Girls + Album

Urgh. It's not just WHO he is, it's that A) I don't like his voice. B) He's bloody everywhere. Even Estelle and Brandy have tried using him to inject some life into their careers.

5. Re: M.I.A. - Bad Girls + Album

CHRIS BROWN GO AWAY PLEASE.

6. Re: M.I.A. - Bad Girls + Album

One has to wonder whether it was M.I.A.'s own idea to collaborate with Chris Brown or the producer's idea or whoever's. "No thanks"

7. Re: M.I.A. - Bad Girls + Album

I'm totally on the late-train here; but yeah, Come Walk With Me is a TUNE. There's still no word on a release date for Matangi, is there?

I second this motion.

8. Re: M.I.A. - Bad Girls + Album

I'm still going to be sceptical...we always hear reports of artists working with particular people but sometimes it never eventuates/doesn't end up on the album. I will keep telling myself that.

But oh my fucking god, Usher and the Cataracs too?

9. Re: M.I.A. - Bad Girls + Album

I actually don't mind a Chris Brown collab, could be interesting.

The Madonna one was just awful.

10. Re: M.I.A. - Bad Girls + Album

this collaboration is not happening.
    These news are so old.

Wait and see..

11. Re: M.I.A. - Bad Girls + Album

I've been playing the Come Walk With Me snippet far more times than is healthy. I need that song in my life now.

12. Re: M.I.A. - Bad Girls + Album

M.I.A in Stella McCartney at the Met Ball...

[​IMG]

Gorge.

13. Re: M.I.A. - Bad Girls + Album

I saw that, and she looks fucking amazing. I hope she does a high fashion look for the new album, she could totally make it work, and it'd be different from her past street style image.

14. Re: M.I.A. - Bad Girls + Album

If M.I.A.'s Twitter is to be believed, a remix of Bad Girls featuring Azealia Banks, Rye Rye & Missy Elliot is coming soon.

15. Re: M.I.A. - Bad Girls + Album

AMAZING.

Although, I would've liked Nicki to be present as well.

16. Re: M.I.A. - Bad Girls + Album

That will be quite something, although I'd rather she release something new. I want details on the album already.

17. Re: M.I.A. - Bad Girls + Album

This sounds like my ideal remix except it doesn't have Lady Sov or Betty Boo on it. This upsets me.

I'm shocked Azealia would be on a track with Rye Rye. She dissed her a few years back. "Rye Rye can go bye bye," etc. Who hasn't Azealia dissed though? Well...she hasn't dissed The Sov or Boo. That doesn't upset me.

18. Re: M.I.A. - Bad Girls + Album

Did she get her lips done? Still, she looks great.

19. Re: M.I.A. - Bad Girls + Album

She's apparently signed to Roc Nation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.