M.O. Full Discography Rate || #1 Revealed | Page 12 | The Popjustice Forum

M.O. Full Discography Rate || #1 Revealed

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by boombazookajoe, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Sorry, queen. Not quite yet!

21.png
    OnYa.jpg
    21. On Ya
    average: 6.6544

Peak Placement: #11 || Valley Placement: #21

High Scores:
    10 - @Phonetics Girl @Crisp X 9.4 - @FINISH LINE
    9 - @Runawaywithme @2014 @klow @Holly Something
    8.5 - @Mr.Arroz @Robsolete @fleisch @RUNAWAY
    Low Scores:
    4 - @londonrain @Scaper 3.5 - @jawow_
    3 - @saviodxl @lushLuck @Murdoch @Duppe

Boombazookajoe Score:

This one hurts too. Our first entry in the rate to receive multiple 10s and also the first entry from Mz. Frankee with a proper visual moment. If M.O. were to ever have released an album back in the day, “On Ya” definitely gives me “highlight towards the end that’s definitely meant to be an album track but serves better than most of the singles.” What it lacks in a killer hook it makes up for in vibe. This is a slinky, sleazy, sexy track that is meant to be enjoyed exclusively at 2am in the bedroom with at least one other bedmate. @BSpearsFan loves the instrumental ending, which slithers through the last 20-30 seconds of the track. The comedown, the post coital cigarette if you will.

Lots of positive comments on this one. @MusicalMelody said this track, one of the first they had heard from M.O. “blew me away!” @TRAVVV wished “we had gotten more moody moments like this in their discography.”

Some additional commentary:
    @Crisp X: “[On Ya] used to be one of my faves at the time, especially for hinting at darker sounds. Years later, it still pains me that the group never had a chance at releasing an album or at ever finding an identity, because we could’ve gotten more stuff in this vein… maybe.” Hard agree. The way their first 9 tracks pre-Good Friends would have made a killer debut album.

@Runawaywithme: “God, I just love this song. I love the hypnotic production here. This song is just such a vibe. Their harmonies are just lush and melt into the production beautifully. It’s slightly repetitive but I think that works within the context of the song. It reminds me sonically of something Devotion-era Jessie Ware would have recorded, which is a compliment of the highest level.”

The music video compliments the sexy sound. It’s black & white, minimalist vibe feels mature and grown and serves equal parts Single Ladies and Not My Ex by Jessie J. Sometimes M.O.’s styling, especially early on, was a bit sus, but here they look so cool and natural. @Holly Something says this has always been one of her favorites, and that “the video is a bit of a serve as well.”

Still, as an early eliminee, not everyone was gagged by this song’s eleganza. @OspreyQueen loves the eerie synths but feels “the whole thing doesn’t really come together.” @berserkboi, who previously said On & On was “more fun than annoying” finds this one “more annoying that anything else so far, despite some nice production elements!” And @londonrain says: “Well, this is definitely a song that exists.” Tell us how you really feel, sis!

Tomorrow, we get rid of two more collabs, and maybe one more track if I can get the write-ups all situated.

Frankee Era Songs Remaining: 12 out of 19 (7 eliminated)
    Chanal Era Songs Remaining: 8 out of 10 (2 eliminated)

Remorque, Butterfly, sesita and 20 others like this.
  2. I'm curious what the first one is. I'm pretty new to basically all their songs so I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

3. ?????? I loved this track's Teedra Moses flavours. Inexplicably low!

4. It shall be discussed at length when that songs time comes. Which won't be for quite a while...

5. With You did not deserve to outlast these 3 great songs today. I should have tanked.

6. It’s definitely interesting what songs I never would have thought would do so well that I would have scored lower had I known.

7. I was harsh with most M.O songs because I didn't have interest in the band until "Preach" and "Who Do You Think Of".

Did we get rid of all the songs from the "Good Friends" EP already?

I do like "With You" though.

Remorque and Holly Something like this.
  8. 3 of the 4 were eliminated yesterday but No Foolish Love is still hanging on for dear life!

9. I...don’t like any of the songs that were eliminated today. Officially calling for Wait Your Turn & Hot to leave soon.

boombazookajoe likes this.
  10. Imagine writing this and then clicking post.

Remorque, lushLuck, Mr.Arroz and 10 others like this.
  11. They don’t like you either!

Remorque, Mr.Arroz, sesita and 5 others like this.
  12. It seems M.O's discography is short and nobody likes most part of it. Hahahahaha. Just joking, sorry.

I just hope "Too Good", "Wandering" and "Going Out Of My Way" are in the Top 5.

MusicalMelody likes this.
  13. You did not.

14. @Phonetics Girl is getting her wish this morning.

20.png
    Feelings.jpg
    20. Feelings (Wifey) (feat. Yungen and Crazy Cousinz)
    average: 6.8789

Peak Placement: #15 || Valley Placement: #27

High Scores:
    10- @Runawaywithme @Mr.Arroz @slaybellz @Vasilios @Redout @Murdoch
    9.7 @FINISH LINE 9.5 - @Holly Something
    Low Scores:
    4 - @Doodvid @RainOnFire @Butterfly @Scaper
    3 - @Verandi

Boombazookajoe Score:
    3 - @boombazookajoe

So wait, a lot of you love this I guess. We bumped up to 6 10’s from the previous song receiving only 2, and the next track to beat that number of perfect scores is our #15th place track (spoiler alert: also the first track to receive an 11.)

In hindsight, I may have been a bit way harsh, Tai on this one. In doing these write-ups, I basically do one listen while reading the lyrics, one watch of the music video, and that have it playing on the background in loop while I collect all the commentary and do the write-up. I’m currently on my 4th listen through of this track and I’m already finding myself bopping more than I ever have to this song.

@BSpears thinks the chorus is “so catchy!” @Crisp X thinks it’s probably the best of the “features” section. @Holly Something really likes this track, and “can’t hear it without thinking about ‘Fallin’ by Sadia Ama.” @Runawaywithme loves “Chanal’s opening to the pre-chorus.” I agree that this is one of Chanal’s best contributions to an M.O. song -- she sounds so effortlessly cool here.

My biggest hold up with this track, and M.O. in the tail end of their career, was that they were so constantly relegated to the supporting act of other artists. Even in the songs that were technically “their own,” M.O. often felt like the afterthought. When this song was released, I was mostly just annoyed that they were coming out with another song as the featured artist to a rapper. Lest I remind you, in the Chanal era (of which there is only 10 tracks), only one song features the girls without anyone else. That’s so bizarre to me.

When M.O. are on this track though, they are utilized quite beautifully over a groovy, smooth tropical beat. The song tells a simple message: “Slow down, boy - we aren’t getting married.” Both @berserkboi and @Sugaboy comment specifically on the word wifey: “I loathe cute names like wifey so this started on the wrong foot” (@berskerboi) “The word ‘wifey’ makes me feel slightly nauseous” (@Sugaboy) but both enjoy the song overall. So at least the M.O. girls agree with them: don’t call them wifey! @londonrain finds the song “very generic Spotify fodder, but werk, I guess.” I agree. I find myself bopping to it, but it’s largely faceless and a less exciting addition to their canon than other similar songs.

At least they look goddamn gorgeous in the video.

Frankee Era Songs Remaining: 12 out of 19 (7 eliminated)
    Chanal Era Songs Remaining: 7 out of 10 (3 eliminated)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  15. How is this eliminated before the likes of Hot and Just Another Face. Deserved better.

Remorque, boombazookajoe and Redout like this.
  16. 2014

2014 Staff Member

The Just Another Face sacrilege will not do and it easily deserves top 15!!

17. I'm SHOCKED. I love this track, top 5 for me

Remorque and boombazookajoe like this.
  18. Every time somebody comes for "Hot" I lose a bit of faith in the human race.

TRAVVV, MusicalMelody, Utopia and 2 others like this.
  19. I'm glad it has now been confirmed to you that I hated them both equally. x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.