M.O. Full Discography Rate || #1 Revealed | Page 16 | The Popjustice Forum

M.O. Full Discography Rate || #1 Revealed

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by boombazookajoe, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Going Out Of My Way was cute for a moment. According to their YouTube, the official lyrics are:

I be, I be callin' you back
    Even when it's over, it's over, I'm callin' you back
    I buy you a bond, triple K
    You get my love trap trap in the bando, babe

No idea what any of that means though

2. 13.png
    AintGotTime.jpg
    13. Ain't Got Time
    average: 7.8067

Peak Placement: #10 || Valley Placement: #21

High Scores:
    10 - @Phonetics Girl @Runawaywithme @Doodvid @Utopia @RUNAWAY
    @Robsolete @scottdisick94 @Sanctuary
    9.6 - @berserkboi 9 - @Mr. Arroz @RainOnFire @Subspace88 @TRAVVV
    Low Scores:

5 - @Butterfly 4 - @Murdoch
    1.5 - @jawow_ (sis....)

Boombazookajoe Score:
    7 - @boombazookajoe

Dropping at unlucky #13 is “Ain’t Got Time,” M.O.’s second single, and the perfect counter-sound to the harder, more aggressive banger that was “Wait Your Turn.” @lushLuck “Perfect counter-programming to Wait Your Turn. Proved just how well-rounded their sound could be.” Here, we’ve got a classic sassy girl group bop about, well...the chorus pretty much spells it out: “I ain’t got time to worry about people that don’t worry about me, and I ain’t got time to listen to people that don’t listen to me, and I ain’t got time to care about people that don’t care about me, So that’s the reason why I can’t, now is it so hard to understand?” Well no, not when you put it that way.

This is definitely an M.O. classic. I gave it a 7 because it’s actually not close to one of my favorites, but I definitely recognize it’s appeal. There are moments that I enjoy a lot more than others. The verses breeze by quickly, but have some cute melodies. The chorus, honestly plods along in a sort of sing-songy nursery rhyme melody that I usually enjoy (think Ciara’s Read My Lips, Britney’s How I Roll, Little Mix’s Nothing But My Feelings), but here it just kind of just … repeats a lot. @londonrain: “This is a great chorus but the song leans so heavily on it that there isn't actually much more to the track”

The song really shines with Frankee’s intro, Frankee’s lead in of the killer bridge (@Utopia Justice for Frankee’s “how’d ya get so low ya gotta go, baby let go” middle), and the beautiful vocal layering on the final chorus.

Lots of positive comments on this one. @Crisp X: “A HOOK! Much like Wait Your Turn, I wish the production went a little harder, it sounds a little bit empty. I could easily hear it soundtrack a Netflix teen show teaser or something. It just has that sass about it.” @MusicalMelody exposes their youthful age: “Makes me nostalgic, between the throwback 90s R&B production and my personal memories of the first time I heard the track (Nearly a decade ago? I was still in high school? Eesh) and I've always loved the harmonizing during the bridge!” @berserkboi said: “Entrancing bop alert!”

Some middling comments as well. @BSpearsFan says “I enjoy this when it comes on shuffle, but I ain’t got time for it.” @Holly Something calls it “OK, but nothing exciting.” @Scaper enjoys the chorus and middle eight, “but the verses are weak. It sounds like they recorded it using Voice Memos on an iPhone?” Well sis, considering this stage of their career, but that’s probably accurate dddd.

@Runawaywithme has thoughts: “This is just lovely, isn’t it? It’s such a breezy uplifting song. It reminds me of nice summery hazy sunny days when you just feel like you don’t have a care in the world. I remember instantly loving this song and playing it non-stop when it first dropped. I still listen to this song a lot, and it’s always a really nice pick-me-up feelgood song. They all sound great on it, and while simple, the production is highly effective. That call-and-response middle-eight always instantly puts a smile on my face, then when that final chorus comes round - with those little “how do you get so low, you gotta go, baby let go” ad-libs come in, I’m on cloud nine. In short, I just think this is a wonderful little song that never fails to make me feel like the world is a less scary place, which I think we could definitely all use at the moment. I hope y’all don’t do it dirty.” I’d say making it to 13 is pretty solid, though I’m sure some would argue it deserved higher.

The video actually looks like it serves a bit of budget. It still follows the M.O. well, m.o., which involves a dance circle, the ladies serving face, and loosely bopping to their song. They do serve some choreography during the chorus which is kind of fun and unusual for them.

I’ve included a cute little remix for this track too. @TRAVVV said they’ve “always had a soft spot for this one, and the remixes are almost incredible!” Also a cute little acoustic rendition of this track. Personally, this song doesn’t translate to an acoustic version quite as effortlessly as some of their other tracks, but it’s always a treat to listen to these gals sing live and harmonize with each other.

Frankee Era Songs Remaining: 8 out of 19 (11 eliminated)
    Chanal Era Songs Remaining: 4 out of 10 (6 eliminated)

And with that, we've only got 12 tracks left.

Wait Your Turn
    For A Minute
    Dance On My Own
    Preach
    Who Do You Think Of?
    Too Good
    Man Enuff
    Not In Love (feat. Kent Jones)

Bad Vibe (with Lotto Boyzz and Mr Eazi)
    Bad Vibe - Summer Vibes (with Mr Eazi)
    Wondering (with Chip)
    Ex At The Party

Which tracks do you think will miss out on the top 10?

3. I wish 'Ain't Got Time' popped off a little bit more than it did, or sounded more fleshed out somehow? There's a fantastic song in there, but it didn't quite hit the potential it could have.

I'm perched to see how this top 12 is going to play out. Imagine if this was their album:

4. I always struggle making an “album” playlist of their singles/EP tracks. Anyone been able to make a decent track list?

boombazookajoe likes this.
  5. For me, absolute top tier M.O:

Wait Your Turn
    Dance On My Own
    Preach
    Who Do You Think Of?
    Man Enuff
    Not In Love

So... out of the others left, Wondering can sling her hook, and I wouldn’t be mad to see non-Summer Vibe Bad Vibe depart soon.

6. So -- because I don't mind long albums, I made a version of all their Frankee era songs a while ago (sorry Just Another Face, this was before I knew you, and sorry Running, but no.) and this was how I organized:

1. Who Do You Think Of?
    2. Preach
    3. Dance On My Own
    4. Not In Love (feat. Kent Jones)
    5. Ain't Got Time
    6. Hot
    7. For A Minute
    8. Too Good
    9. Man Enuff
    10. Good Friends
    11. No Foolish Love
    12. Come Let Me Show You
    13. On Ya
    14. You Don't Know Me Like That
    15. Love The Most (feat. Yungen)
    16. On & On
    17. Wait Your Turn
    18. Not In Love (Acoustic)
    19. Who Do You Think Of? (Acoustic)

Obviously not the most "cohesive" album in the world, but I tried to make it flow well, front loaded it with hits like most pop albums do, and end on a banger. It works for me!

7. A top 5!

londonrain, Utopia and Sugaboy like this.
  8. Ha... I'll be dragged for a much bigger offender later in the rate. I'm ready (I think...)

londonrain and boombazookajoe like this.
  9. A bop, it’s been on heavy rotation for me since the start of the rate.

10. That very nearly got my 11. You heathens.

11. 2014

2014 Staff Member

A 1.5 for Ain't Got Time.......................

12. 12.png
    Wondering.jpg
    12. Wondering (with Chip)
    average: 7.9078

Peak Placement: #11 || Valley Placement: #22

High Scores:
    10 - @BSpearsFan @Vasilios @sesita @soratami @rubirubi @Butterfly
    9.8 - @FINISH LINE 9.5 - @Conan @jawow_
    Low Scores:
    6 - @RUNAWAY @TRAVVV @Redout
    4 - @Doodvid 3 - @Verandi

Boombazookajoe Score:
    6.75 - @boombazookajoe

I’m not going to lie to y’all, I am quite shooketh that this song made it as far as it did. “Wondering” finds the ladies teaming up with rapper Chip to sing about the constant fears, worries, and accusations of cheating from a partner. It’s another one of those … loose lyrical concepts if I do say so myself.

Wondering went to #91 on the UK Charts, which probably has to do with some of the good will the girls had left over from Bad Vibe. And none of y’all could keep the good sis Bad Vibe out of your mouths, and for good reason. @Crisp X: “This is basically Bad Vibe Part 2.” londonrain: “This is very much Bad Vibe II (or maybe III?) but I’m not mad about it.” @OspreyQueen: “This whole label thing of “getting a hit by sheer luck and following it up months later with a song that’s basically the same but not as good” is irrefutable proof that we do not live in a meritocracy.” @Runawaywithme: “I don’t think it was the best choice for a follow up to Bad Vibe, but I can see why it was chosen.” @Scaper: “They tried following the same formula as Bad Vibe, but it just didn’t quite hit the mark.” @Holly Something: “Probably a misstep in terms of following up Bad Vibe, but I still like it.”

@Sugaboy expanded on this point: “I always thought this was a misstep after the success of Bad Vibe. It’s... okay, but completely ruined the hype they had built at the time (or is that just me imagining the public actually knew they were the ones behind Bad Vibe!) Had they released something like Ex at the Party in place of it, things (maybe) could have gone differently. Also there’s too much Chanal in it for my liking (no shade, she just doesn’t sound good in this one).” I have to agree. Bad Vibe was kind of one of those lightning in a bottle singles that really reintroduced the girls to the scene after Frankee’s departure and their long absence. They were riding high with their tied-biggest single to date. And what did they do? Well, release the same damn song but not as good.

@BSpersFan disagrees: “This was close to getting my 11.” Sorry sis.

In the video, the girls disturb a convenience store while Chanal wears a neon green wig. It’s definitely one of their more boring efforts.

Frankee Era Songs Remaining: 8 out of 19 (11 eliminated)
    Chanal Era Songs Remaining: 3 out of 10 (7 eliminated)

And with that, we've only got 11 tracks left.

Wait Your Turn
    For A Minute
    Dance On My Own
    Preach
    Who Do You Think Of?
    Too Good
    Man Enuff
    Not In Love (feat. Kent Jones)

Bad Vibe (with Lotto Boyzz and Mr Eazi)
    Bad Vibe - Summer Vibes (with Mr Eazi)
    Ex At The Party

Which remaining track do you think will miss out on the top 10?

13. ... and she did!

14. Pon Me coming last. The Good Friends EP getting ruthlessly dragged. Career highlights On Ya & Wifey getting out-charted by that damn calculator song.

[​IMG]

Choose Sides missing the top 10 and getting a 2.5 from rate villian/ex-Duchess member @Verandi. Laura Welsh co-write Going out of My Way not getting recognised as top tier M.O for perfectly refining the pop, R&B and afrobeats sides of their music.

[​IMG]

I mean I'm glad Just Another Face was recognised for the post-chorus refrain alone, but I swear if y'all put the lethargic Summer Vibes version of Bad Vibe ahead of the OG...

[​IMG]

15. I don't understand a single one of these references but I support you getting your anger out!

londonrain, TRAVVV, lushLuck and 4 others like this.
  16. IdontKnowHer.gif
    But I guess *checks scores* I lowkey liked the track.

boombazookajoe likes this.
  17. I’ll post 11 tomorrow, take the weekend off, and then do the top 10 next week!

Xx

18. 97D8C94B-ADB0-4C21-8EF7-DC24B0ED8F36.jpeg

19. 2014

2014 Staff Member

BOTH Bad Vibes need to go xx

RUNAWAY, Phonetics Girl and Verandi like this.
  20. Okay but Wondering should have lasted longer than Wait Your Turn and Ex At The Party.

I like that Too Good and Man Enuff are hanging in there though.

rubirubi and FINISH LINE like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.