M with the I with the S T double E Q! The Mis-Teeq Discography Rate | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

M with the I with the S T double E Q! The Mis-Teeq Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by HollyDunnSomething, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Which section takes the next hit?

Yep, we're still on Eye Candy...

"Had your back, when things got twisted..."

37th Place
    Do Me Like That

Average - 6.773333333

[​IMG]

Taken from 'Eye Candy'

High scorer - 8.5 x 1 (@Robsolete)
    Low scorer - 4 x 1 (@Robert) Low scorer again!
    My score - 8

This one was a bit of a rate discovery for me. Not that I didn't know it before but I enjoy it much more now than I used to, specifically Alesha's rap (surprise surprise). It helps that it's very uptempo rather than a lot of the slower stuff that fills out the second album.

@berserkboi (5.8) "No thanks!"

@Iggypig (8) "Sometimes Eye Candy can feel a bit overstuffed, but tracks like this and Nitro and Dance make you realise how strong the album is.....just needs a bit of cull."

@londonrain (5) "This chorus sounds like it’s trying to emulate What Would You Do? by City High, and it’s... just okay. (What Would You Do?, on the other hand, is excellent.)"

2. I promise I’ve given scores above a 5!

3. All that needs now is Redman shouting all over it. Would be iconic.

londonrain and berserkboi like this.
  4. Do Me Like That is a bop. Bit too soon for that one to be out.

5. [​IMG]

6. Oh, that. I’m sure that’s a classical sample - it sounds like something from Carl Orff’s Carmina Burana (which is why I referenced him in my commentary). I tried Shazaming it and got a different song each time - that’s how common it is.

HollyDunnSomething likes this.
  7. From what I can tell the Romeo and Juliet soundtrack is the original version and it doesn’t sample anything. It does sound heavily influenced by Carl Orff though!

8. Wow, I really could have sworn it was Orff! It sounds like it’s about to launch into O Fortuna at any moment.

HollyDunnSomething and Robert like this.
  9. Time for another...

The remix section takes its first hit...

"This is how we do it on a UK vibe..."

36th Place
    This Is How We Do It; Rishi Rich Mix
    Average - 6.826666667

[​IMG]

Taken from 'Remixes'

High scorers - 10 x 2 (@Robsolete, @Remorque)
    Low scorers - 4 x 2 (@Sprockrooster, @Filippa)
    My score - 6.5
    It's passable. I'm a big fan of remixes so I'm glad that each of their singles has at least 1 official remix. I also appreciate that this one doesn't try to sound as much like Montell Jordan's original version. Definitely the right remix to fall first.

@tylerc904 (6) "A bit to similar to the other one to be that special."

@Sprockrooster (4) "This showcases more explicitly that the verses in this song are particularly weak. Let me spin the Ali G in da House soundtrack again for Me Julie."

@berserkboi (8.3) "One version of this was enough, still good though"

@Iggypig (6.5) "This is ever so slightly better than the single mix, which is odd considering it's mixed by the same person." I think they wanted the single mix to sound more like the original.

Filippa, Robsolete, Robert and 5 others like this.
  10. Before this rate I thought this was the only version of the song they did. I much prefer this version, but overall the song isn’t as good as many of the tracks on Lickin’.

11. The next 4 cuts all come from the same section...

But which one...?

"Remember when Bobby Brown was the craze?"

35th Place
    Best Friends

Average - 6.88

[​IMG]

Taken from 'Eye Candy'

High scorer - 10 x 1 (@Filippa)
    Low scorer - 4 x 1 (@Robert)
    My score - 6.8
    I mean... I do quite like the production in this but I think it needs at least a minute shaved off the running time as it drags a bit. The sentiment is cute though.

@tylerc904 (8) "The title would lead you to think it's a slowy or ballad but issssssa bop." An overlong bop but yes.

@JMRGBY88 (6.5) "I like it sonically just not lyrically."

@berserkboi (6.3) "Pleasant but nothing I'd seek out often."

@Iggypig (6) "This is ever so slightly filler, and considering the length of the album, could been cut." I feel like it needs as many uptempos as possible and while this isn't the worst song it definitely contributes to the album feeling quite long.

@Filippa (10) "I somehow relate to the lyrics and what a lovely chorus!"

12. As I said before we stick with Eye Candy...

But the reissue this time!

"If you're playing by the rules would I feel the way I do?"

34th Place
    Hey Yo

Average - 6.946666667

[​IMG]

Taken from 'Eye Candy'

High scorer - 9.5 x 1 (@Robsolete)
    Low scorers - 4 x 2 (@Sprockrooster, @londonrain)
    My score - 6.1
    Hey Yo didn't appear on the Eye Candy album until it was reissued following the release of Style in November 2003. What is strange about this is that Hey Yo actually appeared on an album sampler for the original version of the second album. I don't dislike it but it's just a little unexciting overall. It also sounds a little unfinished if I'm being honest.

@berserkboi (7.8) "Lively but not a standout in the overall discography" That's quite a generous score though...

@Iggypig (8) "I love the music of this. Kinda Britney In The Zone sounding."

@Sprockrooster (4) "A basic bop that is way too uncaptivating" Spot on description tbh.

As I said before we stick with Eye Candy...

But the reissue this time!

"If you're playing by the rules would I feel the way I do?"

34th Place
    Hey Yo

Average - 6.946666667

[​IMG]

Taken from 'Eye Candy'

High scorer - 9.5 x 1 (@Robsolete)
    Low scorers - 4 x 2 (@Sprockrooster, @londonrain)
    My score - 6.1
    Hey Yo didn't appear on the Eye Candy album until it was reissued following the release of Style in November 2003. What is strange about this is that Hey Yo actually appeared on an album sampler for the original version of the second album. I don't dislike it but it's just a little unexciting overall. It also sounds a little unfinished if I'm being honest.

@berserkboi (7.8) "Lively but not a standout in the overall discography" That's quite a generous score though...

@Iggypig (8) "I love the music of this. Kinda Britney In The Zone sounding."

@Sprockrooster (4) "A basic bop that is way too uncaptivating" Spot on description tbh.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  13. Good to see a cull from the right places!

14. @berserkboi giving a 7.8 to a song that he doesn’t actually like very much?

Sounds about right.

15. Imagine how much I must have liked the one that got 4.9....

16. Hey Yo is alright but it kind of feel out of place in the album, it's surprising it was in the original sampler.

17. So I'm the only one who thinks Hey Yo is a massive bop then?

Also both of the versions of This Is How We Do It sound exactly the same to me, so I just gave them the same score. It's a classic bop girlbandified, what's not to like?

18. I think it was a bonus track on the Japanese version of the initial release.

19. The Eye Candy cull continues...

I wonder how this one will feel...

"Ain't no big deal, you're just one of a million guys..."

33rd Place
    How Does It Feel

Average - 6.993333333

[​IMG]

Taken from 'Eye Candy'

High scorer - 10 x 1 (@Filippa)
    Low scorer - 3 x 1 (@Robert)
    My score - 5.2
    Not a big fan of this one. Definitely could've been left off of the album to make it a stronger, more concise affair overall.

@berserkboi (6.9) "Nice enough, but throwaway and a far cry from the heights of album one!"

@Iggypig (8) "This album really does have some great highs, I love this song." This isn't one of the highs though sis, kii.

@Untouchable Ace (9.3) "That's some tasty salsa."

@Filippa (10) "Damn catchy!" Meh.

20. Not @Filippa turning out to be a bigger Eye Candy stan than the long-time Mis-teeq stans dddd.

Robsolete, Filippa, soratami and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.