Mabel - About Last Night... (The Concept Album) | Page 22 | The Popjustice Forum

Mabel - About Last Night... (The Concept Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Butterfly, Jun 9, 2021.

1. I still haven't been able to get into Let Them Know at all. Who asked Mabel for this? It doesn't even seem like a natural evolution of her sound.

I know there's plenty of R&B girls "out there" right now, but I thought she carved out a good footing. I really was hoping she was going to try and own it this era especially with Boyfriend being marketed as the lead single for album two when it was released (even though it was a middle of the road song). I can't believe I'm saying this, but... I wish were back tacking on bonus singles to High Expectations (since they were all better than this).

The Bedroom EP (and those singles before), Ivy to Roses, and High Expectations still have high replay value for me up until today. Not that I was expecting anything groundbreaking from Mabel, but this was probably my biggest disappointment. She was consistently realizing rehashes of the same song / sound, and I was here for it.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  2. Well, streaming nowadays assures that this album will be properly released internationally ddd.

3. Take It Home is for the Pokemon Soundtrack (she's on Capitol in the US), rather than the second single for this campaign.

[​IMG]
    The cover was leaked with this text I'm not trying to promote Utada.

4. Probably in my top three of Mabel singles, after "Thinking of You" and "Let Them Know" - what a video! -

5. Island

Island Staff Member

Ok but maybe we should stream One Last Kiss.

6. RMK

RMK

I had no idea she had an actual US label.

7. Well, Don’t Call Me Up did get a radio push and some televised performances in the US during its run.

RMK, Butterfly and Island like this.
  8. Subwaykid

Subwaykid Staff Member

@aaronhansome needs to be stopped.

9. I think pretty much all UK label deals come with a concurrent US contract now that releases are global. Usually doesn't mean much unless a single manages to take off on its own. I think after Don't Call Me Up they're done trying for that market.

superloves, nooniebao and RMK like this.
  10. Don't Call Me Up deserved to be her New Rules - better yet, even bigger than New Rules.

11. RMK

RMK

Which televised performances? I knew Don’t Call Me Up got a push, but it has just been so silent ever since. Makes sense with what @Butterfly is saying.

12. Jimmy Fallon.

I assume the song just didn't do what they wanted it to. The album had an Urban Outfitters US exclusive pressing which from the looks of it sold so poorly that they had to ship most of the copies to the UK.

LoveSoSoft and RMK like this.
  13. tea

tea

Deserved to smash

JasonJay, Bslg17, lushLuck and 2 others like this.

14. Wow what a bop!

slaybellz, Island, soratami and 3 others like this.
  15. I love Let Them Know now help

sfmartin, Mikal, slaybellz and 11 others like this.

16. Ddddd. I think you were getting it here for £4 or something.

Butterfly likes this.
  17. I think Don't Call Me Up semi-taking off in the US is what led to that album campaign being so messy.

nooniebao likes this.
  18. Yeah, it actually charted in the US, got some airplay and did decently on streaming considering she’s an unknown.

RMK likes this.
  19. The fact that Radio 1 still hasn’t playlisted Let Them Know…

20. It’s on the B list.

sfmartin and lushLuck like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.