Mabel - About Last Night... (The Concept Album) | Page 60 | The Popjustice Forum

Mabel - About Last Night... (The Concept Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Butterfly, Jun 9, 2021.

1. I can’t @ her scamming a release date with these flop singles. Let Them Know & Overthinking are bops so I remain perched for more music for gay clubs about to go out of business.

4Roses, sesita, LykkeLi and 11 others like this.
  2. Well, 'Let Them Know' is on the verge of being Gold, so the album has that smash to its name.

4Roses and lushLuck like this.
  3. I'm surprised they didn't throw I Wish on at the end of the album, it's the biggest hit of the era so far dddd

Mvnl likes this.
  4. They're waiting to put it as track #1 a week after the album is released.

5. It's on the Apple Music Edition, as is an upcoming collab with A1 x J1.
    I guess it's a Sigrid situation where they sent this to print ages ago, if she has a vinyl coming out on release day.

Jacques, Island and Vasilios like this.
  6. Something tells me that such music wasn't actually who she was nor representative of her, especially given her being a literal teenager at the time, and that fans of her mom still hoping for something that was never actually there should probably move on after 6 years at this point.

eddy2375, RMK and nooniebao like this.
  7. I think the early stuff is truer to the music she'd be releasing if charting wasn't a factor, but she still seems really passionate about the new stuff.

A lot of these posts seem to overlook the fact that she made the sound pivot to further her career. Rich parents or not, she's still beholden to the industry gatekeepers who obviously told her to become Dua 2.0 after New Rules smashed.

slaybellz and kal like this.
  8. RMK

RMK

I don't see her diving into disco and 80s-tinged pop as more than following current trends like any other popstar. It doesn't mean she isn't passionate about it.

I also don't even think she's a great vocalist for R&B. All these live performances don't sell me at all.

Last edited: May 27, 2022
    slaybellz likes this.
  9. Island

Island Staff Member

If y'all are craving a little R&B Mabel, listen to her big sis TYSON's EP.

As for Mabel's future, I'd love some UK Garage influenced tracks. Her voice would glide so well on that.

10. *Sugababes

Neneh Cherry never made moody pop or soul ballads, the fans you're describing are holding on to early Mabel because her dad produced the Sugababes debut album.

11. This is untrue, she's said many times her goal was always a Rihanna-type bops for the BP career and it was all her, doubt people told her to become a Dua.

nooniebao and kal like this.
  12. Maybe that particular phrasing casts it too much as 'the big bad pop machine made her soulless!!!', which I don't think is the case, but the 'I just wanna make music for 14 year old girls' seemed like a bit of a PR spin to deflect from authenticity questions.

If that was always her goal... why start out with the first 3 singles & first two EPs? Whether it was actually said to her or she just knew what was expected, there was a clear sanding down of the edges to arrive where we are now.

slaybellz and Euphoria like this.
  13. kal

kal

I don’t remember where or when, but I’m pretty sure she said at some point that she didn’t find her sound up until Finders Keepers did what it did. @Vasilios is right that selling records is what she wants, and the swift course correction in terms of sound post Finders Keepers serves as proof of that.

I’m one of the Sugababes fans that really likes her old sound, but it still occasionally shines through in songs like Lucky, Anxiety Anthem & Overthinking. I think she gets a lot of flack here, while the material she’s released so far is more than stellar. High Expectations is a very competent debut, and she’s given a lot of indication that she’s in this for the long haul. It’s a real shame that the past year’s singles haven’t resonated with the public.

I’m still rooting for Mabel. She’s got potential.

Robert, SiduousIII, Shocked and 4 others like this.
  14. I seem to recall her saying herself that she’s at her best writing bops on demand with a tight schedule… I never got the impression she invested too much of herself in any of her music.

I just preferred when the same approach resulted in Know Me Better rather than her current output…

15. Love that an album we haven't even heard yet has caused this thread to erupt into arguments about if the music is authentic to her true style or not.

Maybe the label asked her to be like Dua. Maybe she also liked what Dua was doing. Maybe she wasn't vibing with the retro Sugababes sounds her father was producing at that exact moment. Maybe she will vibe with it later. Maybe there is a middle ground here somewhere.

Conan likes this.
  16. Give me Let Them Know x12 and I'll have my stan card laminated.

17. kal

kal

She hasn’t released (or done?) any music with her father. Her older stuff was done with her ex boyfriend Joel Pott.

kermit_the_frog and Vasilios like this.
  18. Who’s fighting beb. She’s not even signed to a label properly (she just licences her self-released stuff to Polydor) so I doubt they’re talking her “to be like Dua”.

Sure she’s the prototype of UK girl gone global and she probably pops up at meetings but that’s it.

RMK and kermit_the_frog like this.
  19. Joel Pott wasn't Mabel's teenage boyfriend that was mentioned in early press ddddd he's 17 years older and has been married since 2000.

tea, LGStan93, nooniebao and 4 others like this.
  20. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I’m excited for this Club Banger Nation album to be honest! Let Them Know… oof - when you know you know!

4Roses, LGStan93, eddy2375 and 9 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.