Mabel - About Last Night... (The Concept Album) | Page 61 | The Popjustice Forum

Mabel - About Last Night... (The Concept Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Butterfly, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Okay.

Right.

'Overthinking' won.

eddy2375, JasonJay, LykkeLi and 3 others like this.
  2. My Boy, My Town Mabel is probably never going back, and if she will, it would be a pleasant surprise. But otherwise I would say get over it, cause you're going to be disappointed.

Sanctuary likes this.
  3. Bedroom was that girl, probably my favourite Mabel song >>

4. Damn, this wasn't too far off.

JasonJay and kal like this.
  5. Island

Island Staff Member

I feel like this song flopping must’ve done a number on her team/label at the time.

JasonJay and TRAVVV like this.
  6. Honestly I feel like High Expectations is a bit underrated. It’s not groundbreaking by any means, but revisiting it it really is bop after bop with a couple moments that do feel like somewhat of a balance of early Mabel and pop star Mabel.

TRAVVV, JasonJay, LykkeLi and 10 others like this.
  7. Bop. Early Mabel was a very, very exciting artist. It actually felt like she had *a* sound and a niche to carve out for herself. Everything after Ivy to Roses sounds like Anne-Marie/Zara Larsson/Ava Max/Becky Hill/[insert every other disposable pop starlet here], it's a shame.

That said, I do love the album cover - it's a lovely photo and a striking colour combo. Is it weird though that after all this time, I still don't quite know what she looks like? As in, I'm staring at her album/single covers and I genuinely don't think I'd recognise her if she slapped me in the face.

Edit: I hadn't actually listened to Trouble before, that's not a bad song at all!

slaybellz and Euphoria like this.
  8. I forgot how much Trouble sounds like Ariana’s God is a woman.

9. Speaking of Early Mabel, this remains her best song. The promise she had was startling.

4Roses, slaybellz, JasonJay and 23 others like this.
  10. Thank god the council aesthetic has died out for popstars who have never lived in one.

11. Easily her best song. Sounds like a lost Monica track from '96.

12. RMK

RMK

This is the most comfortable I've seen her during a performance. The pre-recorded vocal probably helped her focus on choreo (dd)

Txetxu likes this.
  13. 3Xs

3Xs

Yeah, while nothing mind-blowing, her live performances lately have gone from comical to compitent.

14. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I don’t know about anyone else but Overthinking is very throwback to early Mabel for me? Her best song for ages I’m obsessed now.

15. That long black hair is everything. Looking stunning, Mabs!

slaybellz, FINISH LINE and RMK like this.
  16. kal

kal

OK but we need this goodwill to translate to the general public. x

JasonJay and Digital_Fossil like this.
  17. RMK

RMK

Cover looks great on a physical copy.

18. Island

Island Staff Member

Ok I'm actually perched for the boppery of this album.

4Roses, TRAVVV, RainOnFire and 8 others like this.
  19. Obsessed with Overthinking. She really dropped the single of the year when no one had faith anymore. Perched for the album.

Rob, JasonJay, Digital_Fossil and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.