Mabel - General Discussion (+ BRIT WINNER) | Page 104 | The Popjustice Forum

Mabel - General Discussion (+ BRIT WINNER)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by kal, Jul 14, 2015.

1. 2014

2014 Staff Member

But....that was probably the most 'dead cert' category there?

2. I saw Mabel at the Hammersmith Apollo last week and she was brilliant. She had a lot of star power and a great connection with her crowd. I didn't think that she came across quite as well at the Brits - as others have said I don't think the choreography was quite right for her, but she really shone last week.

I've read the forum rules and I think it's okay to link to my blog post about it, so if you want to read my slightly bewildered ramblings about finding myself within a crowd largely half my age (or quite honestly, a quarter) my review is here!

(My blog's mostly about my 90s indie faves but there's a fair bit of pop there too!)

RossMusik and letuinmybackdoor like this.
  3. The Brits performance felt like the perfect homage to an early 00s Smash Hits Poll Winners Party. She still has a lot to work on with her performance ability, but I already feel like she’s grown in the last few years. I do wish she’d embrace the use of backing singers for her more upbeat songs, though, as her voice is still shaky as all get out.

4. No, that goes to Laura Marling in 2011, beating Cheryl Cole, Paloma Faith, Ellie Goulding and Rumer. Mabel was pretty big last year and her win was well deserved, and to me the most obvious choice (although I'd have been okay with Charli winning too).

5. Laura Marling is an icon.

6. It’s a bit weird when her album is... not good (and I say this as a fan) - I guess that FKA Twigs inexplicably missing an Album Of The Year nomination showed the writing was on the wall...

Bleu Noir likes this.
  7. I’ve actually come to love the album? Bops only.

RainOnFire, lushLuck and 2014 like this.
  8. I'm still hammering Selfish Love like it's release week!

9. The BRIT goes some way towards assuring another album(/five buzz singles), right? I thought there was a real risk of that not happening, even (or especially) after the album dropped. As long as she keeps on hustling, hungry queen.

10. Nah her streaming numbers are great, almost cracked the US, some cute sponsoring coin, album nearing gold, she’s good.

11. I want more bops a la

TRAVVV, c_0_r_3_y, Subspace88 and 5 others like this.
  12. They were fools not to do something with Say Yes, not even a boohoo ad, nothing.

lushLuck likes this.
  13. New single Boyfriend out February 26th:

14. 2014

2014 Staff Member

OH WOW. Let's go.

RossMusik and Vasilios like this.
  15. kal

kal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wonder if we’ll get the video on the same day.

16. kal

kal

17. All night give me Boyfriend.

JasonJay, TRAVVV, Sunny B and 21 others like this.
  18. I’m ready but I’ll honestly break out in hives if they just tack it onto the front of High Expectations.

19. IMAGINE

OspreyQueen likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.