Mabel - “Let Them Know” + 2nd Album | Page 8 | The Popjustice Forum

Mabel - “Let Them Know” + 2nd Album

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Butterfly, Jun 9, 2021.

1. This sounds...pretty average to my ears, honestly. As with most of her stuff.

I don't know if my expectations are too high for her because of who her parents are, but then again, it's because of who her parents are that doors have opened so readily for her in the industry, so maybe it's not that unreasonable.

Euphoria likes this.
  2. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

Totally missed that there was a new thread for her, but I fucking love Let Them Know. She saw Anne-Marie halfheartedly dipping her toe into UK Garage and went “right, this is how you do it”.

3. The verses are some of the worst writing I have ever heard in a pop song.

4. I think some of these are old. Toy sounds familiar & Red Flag is a High Expectations outtake she re-recorded(?) for Google Nest Sessions.

About Last Night would be a great album title though.

nooniebao likes this.
  5. The chorus take me back to the 00's. It's an earworm.

6. Uno

Uno

It's almost amazing but an overall good song.

I hope it smashes so the disco-pop trend keeps going.

Duppe, BrokenHearts and Txetxu like this.
  7. Yeah the chorus is giving me Geri’s solo debut. I think that’s a compliment?

Laurence, basil, lushLuck and 3 others like this.
  8. kal

kal

It’s possible but I cross-referenced my old list from the old thread and didn’t see these. I’m also hoping Red Light isn’t just a reject and will be part of About Last Night.

9. It's good throw away pop banger......but yeah I have to agree on those verses

10. Isn't that just the Geri hair?

11. Some of you don't have body shape Coca Cola and it shows, etc

tea, Jersey, JasonJay and 39 others like this.
  12. A 10/10 banger.

13. “Up here the haters look teeny tiny” is the worst best written lyric in the song. You hear it and you’re like ‘huh? It didn’t even rhyme’ but can’t help but LIVE for it

4Roses, navytaxi, FINISH LINE and 6 others like this.
  14. Now dig Raye's vocals out from the demo and give us a Rayemix duet.

tea, 4Roses, Andy French and 3 others like this.
  15. Ridiculous campy bop. I approve. I think this could be a little bit too Clubland 15 for the geepee but Heartbreak Anthem is doing really well so hopefully this is a hit for her.

spaceship, luluthecat and Uno like this.
  16. It's a generic bop that I'll enjoy for a few weeks and then never return to.
    Think it's time I gave up on Ivy to Roses Mabez. At least I'll always have Thinking of You and My Boy, My Town.

Euphoria likes this.
  17. Well... those doors didn't open for her siblings. We have to give some credit to Mabel.

Vasilios likes this.
  18. Also her parents had pull maybe 20 years ago, this is a business not a mate’s pub.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  19. kal

kal

But like.. Marlon has been around in the industry since 2004-ish in Mattafix, then solo, and he’s been writing bops for many people including Mabel in the past few years.

Her sister Tyson is building up her solo profile (with a lot of goodwill and support) after abruptly exiting the PANES duet project due to health issues. Also, her two EPs are very similar in sound to Mabel’s initial offerings. She also used to be 1/4 of cirKus, along with her parents and Matt Kent from 2006 to around 2011.

Let’s not ignore the fact it took Mabel nearly 4 years to get to the point of releasing an album. Sure, she’s had a lot of goodwill from the industry, but it’s not like it was served to her on a silver platter. Girl’s put in a lot of work.

Pure Shores likes this.
  20. For every goodwill gesture I promise you there’d have been lots of “nepotism” nos.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.