Madonna - Finally Enough Love: 50 Number Ones + General Discussion | Page 358 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna - Finally Enough Love: 50 Number Ones + General Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by debord, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Wow, I am impressed. 
    I really enjoy two-thirds of Hard Candy.  Light fun pop, which was a nice change up from her other albums of late.

With American Life, when I'm in the mood, I can definitely listen to the whole album easily.  I think the only dip in quality was her rapping. .  But there's just some really great songs on American Life.

2. RJF

RJF

Wait, do you mean you were just using the singles from both eras? If that's the case, then I actually that Hard Candy trounces American Life, but I'm surprised if it's actually the full albums you're comparing. American Life contains some of her most emotional vocal performances on the albums tracks, whereas she just sounds sleepy on nearly all of Hard Candy.

3. To me American Life has always felt like an EP that was stretched into an album. I listen to half, I skip half. That's the only Madonna album I have that with. I actually prefer Hard Candy as I like it when Madonna is more pop.

As for the producer thing, Stuart Price stated that Madonna was "the best hands-off producer in the business". Just because she doesn't push the buttons herself doesn't means she's not a producer.

She's definitely not the best singer in the world, but her voice has a lovely quality. She's also much more interesting than all of the 'pitch perfect' singers like Mariah and Leona. They're fine but they're also quite dull. Madonna gives it to you both barrels.

4. Mariah has become so predictable as she stands there going higher and higher and her hand going higher and higher with each note. She exhausts me and not in a good way. It's like vocal theatrics for the sake of it most of the time, not for the good of the song.

5. slimane

slimane Guest

Yeah but AL is a "Madonna album"...very much so...HC is not a "Madonna album" i've no idea whose album it is but it's not a Madonna album. The lyrics are too young and dumb for her...the whole project was horrible...the look...the vague theme. barf. I wanted to stab myself in the eye when Liz started releasing quotes of M saying "She loves creme eggs" to tie in with the theme. Gurl you only eat beans! I blame Guy Oseary for EVERYTHING...M leads the ship but she needs the right peple around her.

6. Won't argue with that.

7. I watched In Bed With Madonna today it's so sick I love her!!
    Such a shame the Blonde Ambition tour isn't on DVD it looks so good!!

8. I just found out one can stream the Sticky & Sweet tour on Netflix. There's my afternoon sorted.

9. Ray

Ray

Oh, that wasn't me actually. But I think the first time I felt Madonna lost her confidence was the withdrawal of American Life video. Not exactly ten years, but the first time when I thought... oh, we've been over this so many times... "you've never had a problem with controversy before".

Same here. I'd love her to go back into the Ray of Light kind of reinvention, where she makes this amazing music that doesn't really have an age or expiry date attached. But I'm worried she'll delve deeper into "mah crotch is totez young y'all" direction...

10. The thing is, even though I understand why a lot of people want the Ray Of Light Madge to return, I think she should keep up the youtful schtick as long as she can and wants to. I look at her with this super toned body, dancing ability and stamina of other popstars half her age and just think 'Go for it.' It may be an unpopular opinion, but if she can do all the high energy, age defying stuff, I think she should. It's not the same as some over surgeried Bevery Hills housewife trying to dress like her daughter in my eyes. Because it's not just anyone. It's Madonna. It's what she does.

Just my 2 cents.

11. I like the Hard Candy album.  But even though I enjoyed some Hard Candy songs in concert, it was weak on some of them.  The worst opening of her I've seen in concert was her singing Candy Shop.  I can go back and watch Confessions tour DVD a million times and never tire. The opening is mesmerizing.  Amazing arrangements, songs with a lot of substance, and great dancing by Madonna.

Madonna's Sweet & Sticky tour DVD, I can't sit through the whole thing since after watching it once.  It bores me in places with weak songs and the concert is disjointed at times.  Hung Up on guitar bored me to tears.  I just go to the songs I love or the great choreography on it like Vogue that I love and skip around to songs.

But I still want to see great choreography and Madonna dancing in parts of her shows.    She's flat-out  amazing.  For me, as time has gone on, Confessions on a Dance Floor is my favorite album even over Ray of Light as a whole; though ROL has some of my favorite songs.    I would love to see something that can match COADF in quality and still be dance music (since that is what she says she wants to do next) and not go all Hard Candy on us again..

12. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

Excellent post, my hat's off to you!

I really would like some house/dubstep pop from Madonna. Something dark and poppy at once. Sinister yet radio-friendly. (I'm quite aware that may only make sense in my own mind)

13. Exactly my thoughts, angelx. Ray of Light can fuck off. Madonna does what she wants, and if that's thrusting her pussy in our faces, then good for her! No more spiritual shit, thank you very much.

14. RJF

RJF

I'd much prefer her to have the same creativity and drive she did during Ray Of Light. Whatever that manifests itself as would probably be quite good indeed.

15. Probably for the same reason she never writes a song by herself. She's not a musician, so needs to work with someone who is. There are several songs where she only has an "additional lyrics" credit, or her name appears last in the list of writers which would suggest her input in those songs is minimal compared to everything else. Usually they seem to be songs that were given to her and she just changed a few lines here and there to suit her.

I don't know why people are so willing to believe that Madonna has so little input into her own music, when it's pretty clear that she has plenty.

16. BRING BACK PATRICK LEONARD.

17. Even Justin Timberlake said she shows up with a huge book that's filled with lyrics she's written and all kinds of ideas.

Most artists who are proficient on guitar and piano don't write their music on their own, save a few songs here or there on their albums. The best songs usually come from a collaboration, for the most part, though there are exceptions where a brilliant song comes from the artist alone. Matt Bellamy of Muse is brilliant musically and can do that a lot.

18. vasilios

vasilios Guest

Half of those are about time, waiting, hesitating written in different themes / fonts.
    As shown by 3 leaks with the same lyrics, no?

I am joking but...

19. slimane

slimane Guest

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.